Water Quality B/C

kate!
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by kate! »

moegmea1 wrote:How do you tell the difference between a picture of a blood midge and a midge?
Pictures of blood midges will always be red. So it looks exactly like a normal midge larvae, but it's bright red.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Saucycedo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Saucycedo »

Ok
Last edited by Saucycedo on January 17th, 2019, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattChina
Division: B

Post by MattChina »

Saucycedo wrote:How can I correctly measure the salinity without calibration?
u cant
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
RerandRee

Post by RerandRee »

What is considered "A salinometer/hydrometer"? My team is considering individually calibrating mini capillary tubes for each percent salinity. Is the group of capillary tubes considered multiple devices?
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

RerandRee wrote:What is considered "A salinometer/hydrometer"? My team is considering individually calibrating mini capillary tubes for each percent salinity. Is the group of capillary tubes considered multiple devices?
Sounds like a unique, but most likely not permitted, idea. In the rules, Part III a. states "...a salinometer/hydrometer..." and b. says "... the device..." so based on these I am guessing you get to bring only one device in with you.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Check out this quizlet set for macroinvertebrate identification that I just finished: https://quizlet.com/363496522/water-qua ... ash-cards/
aflucke

Post by aflucke »

A team at our last invitational was recently disqualified from the water quality event for tasting the salt water solution; is this a legitimate reason for disqualification?
John Richardsim
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

aflucke wrote:A team at our last invitational was recently disqualified from the water quality event for tasting the salt water solution; is this a legitimate reason for disqualification?
Absolutely. While small amounts of a salt water solution itself isn't dangerous to ingest, the fact that the solution is being used in a lab setting (even if the event wasn't in a lab room, the water was likely stored in a graduated cylinder, a beaker, or even just a large tub -- some container for which it should be apparent that the water isn't for consumption) makes this a safety violation of a pretty standard lab rule.
MattChina

Post by MattChina »

aflucke wrote:A team at our last invitational was recently disqualified from the water quality event for tasting the salt water solution; is this a legitimate reason for disqualification?
Never eat ur experiments
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
Rivkaaa

Post by Rivkaaa »

MattChina wrote:
Never eat ur experiments
lol yeah! Another common disqualifying factor is in CB when teams decide to taste the salt/sugar mixtures in order to tell which one it is!
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy

Return to “2019 Study Events”