Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by sciolyperson1 »

ElGuapo wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: No need, not like it gives you any significant benefit in doing so. Passing through the cans is one thing, but increasing the length will also increase your weight which is not the best thing.
Of course there's a benefit of a longer buggy. A longer buggy means that you can more precisely measure the starting angle of the buggy, which makes the buggy a lot more accurate.
Increasing the length does increase the weight, but for many, weight doesn't matter much. Weight makes the car go slower, which in turn makes the car more consistent. Skid is also decreased.
Thanks!! I see what you mean. I’m doing fine speed wise. So even if it slows a little I should be ok, I think. How long is your device? I believe there’s been a mention of the length twice on this forum and both devices (including MadCow’s) are 40 cms. Does anyone one have a longer buggy and hows it working out. One of my concerns is that a long buggy’s tail might touch a can while passing through, especially on a ‘sharper’ curve like 9 mts.
A long car will not hit the can, if its curving in a consistent arch (there's no difference). Mine is a bit longer than that, at about 60 cms.

Speaking from experience, my last year's car was the same length as well. We placed 5th at nats, with iirc a perfect distance horizontally (left.right), and off vertically (front/back) by 2.5 cm. This goes to show how longer cars do in fact have benefits.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

ElGuapo wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: No need, not like it gives you any significant benefit in doing so. Passing through the cans is one thing, but increasing the length will also increase your weight which is not the best thing.
Of course there's a benefit of a longer buggy. A longer buggy means that you can more precisely measure the starting angle of the buggy, which makes the buggy a lot more accurate.
Increasing the length does increase the weight, but for many, weight doesn't matter much. Weight makes the car go slower, which in turn makes the car more consistent. Skid is also decreased.
Thanks!! I see what you mean. I’m doing fine speed wise. So even if it slows a little I should be ok, I think. How long is your device? I believe there’s been a mention of the length twice on this forum and both devices (including MadCow’s) are 40 cms. Does anyone one have a longer buggy and hows it working out. One of my concerns is that a long buggy’s tail might touch a can while passing through, especially on a ‘sharper’ curve like 9 mts.

Mine is about 65 cm long. Mostly long because of how I wanted to mount my scope and keep frame narrow. No issues with a 20 cm gap. The front wheels and back wheels pass through the cans at the same spot so no tail issue. Unless your wheels are set to the middle and you have a 20 cm spoiler dangling behind your car there shouldn't be an problem :)
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: Of course there's a benefit of a longer buggy. A longer buggy means that you can more precisely measure the starting angle of the buggy, which makes the buggy a lot more accurate.
My bad :D forgot about that part. Weight does play a small role in speed, but you are also right in the fact that a slower car will be less prone to skid. I would still maximize my speed though, and use high traction wheels instead to combat the skid.
Last edited by MadCow2357 on February 12th, 2019, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

builder83 wrote:
ElGuapo wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:

Mine is about 65 cm long. Mostly long because of how I wanted to mount my scope and keep frame narrow. No issues with a 20 cm gap. The front wheels and back wheels pass through the cans at the same spot so no tail issue. Unless your wheels are set to the middle and you have a 20 cm spoiler dangling behind your car there shouldn't be an problem :)
Thanks!!

Just checking... I thought the maximum length allowed was 60 cms...or did I get that wrong...
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
ElGuapo wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
A long car will not hit the can, if its curving in a consistent arch (there's no difference). Mine is a bit longer than that, at about 60 cms.

Speaking from experience, my last year's car was the same length as well. We placed 5th at nats, with iirc a perfect distance horizontally (left.right), and off vertically (front/back) by 2.5 cm. This goes to show how longer cars do in fact have benefits.
Thanks for sharing! This does help!
builder83

Post by builder83 »

ElGuapo wrote:
builder83 wrote:
ElGuapo wrote:

Thanks!!

Just checking... I thought the maximum length allowed was 60 cms...or did I get that wrong...
There is no max length for your buggy. But the wheels need to fit inside 60cm length.
Crimesolver
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

Any tips on going for the bonus? I'm using as protractor, but it's not getting accurate enough. My device is also too big for a caliper. Should I use a sighting device?????????????? So stressed sdlijhglkajsh
Keep on going :)
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Crimesolver wrote:Any tips on going for the bonus? I'm using as protractor, but it's not getting accurate enough. My device is also too big for a caliper. Should I use a sighting device?????????????? So stressed sdlijhglkajsh
I would bet most people trying to be super accurate use a sighting device or scope yes.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Anybody know whether spinning the axle connected to the motor while winding the buggy will damage it?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
rabbitman

Post by rabbitman »

MadCow2357 wrote:Anybody know whether spinning the axle connected to the motor while winding the buggy will damage it?
its a dc motor lol what do you think will happen

Return to “Battery Buggy B”