Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by klastyioer »

Rossyspsce wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
Rossyspsce wrote:
Do you mind dropping a link, I've only gotten results for volare?
yea sure
on here u can get other kinds but i attached one that you may be interesting in. warning you'll need a rubber stripper if you purchase this
https://www.faimodelsupply.com/product/ ... rt-rubber/
For the rubber stripper part, is this true for all rubber that comes in box?

Edit: for example the description of this rubber is 3/32" so I would assume that it comes precut into a 3/32" strand? https://www.faimodelsupply.com/product/ ... rt-rubber/
yea u need a stripper for all of them so u can trim to sizes like .087 or .094 or whatever the ff kit comes with. u can also strip to sizes u wanna strip to but it's an expensive piece of equipment we r talking like hundreds of dollars so be careful with ur money. u can custom buy rubber off freedom flight so u don't need a stripper
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

klastyioer wrote:
Rossyspsce wrote:
klastyioer wrote: yea sure
on here u can get other kinds but i attached one that you may be interesting in. warning you'll need a rubber stripper if you purchase this
https://www.faimodelsupply.com/product/ ... rt-rubber/

Edit: for example the description of this rubber is 3/32" so I would assume that it comes precut into a 3/32" strand? https://www.faimodelsupply.com/product/ ... rt-rubber/
yea u need a stripper for all of them so u can trim to sizes like .087 or .094 or whatever the ff kit comes with. u can also strip to sizes u wanna strip to but it's an expensive piece of equipment we r talking like hundreds of dollars so be careful with ur money. u can custom buy rubber off freedom flight so u don't need a stripper
so the width I select when buying has no effect?
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

Rossyspsce wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
Rossyspsce wrote:

so the width I select when buying has no effect?
it does but the one u select is the width of the rubber. the part you strip is the motor thickness in thousandths of an inch. so if i were to use like 3/16" in i dunno .087 i would but 3/16" and then strip it down to .087 using a micrometer and a rubber stripper. do u get that cause it's kinda hard to explain and confusing to comprehend
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
bjt4888
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by bjt4888 »

New flight,

If the airplane is rolling left more than is desired and descending to hit the floor shortly after launch at higher torque, there are several possible issues. One interesting one that we have discovered this year is that the stabilizer tilt has a strong effect this year due to the tandem configuration allowed by the rules (wing and stabilizer basically the same size). I would check your airplane to make sure that it has no more than 2 degrees of stabilizer tilt. Also, all other turn and roll controls settings should be checked.

If motor stick bending is your primary issue, you can test this by adding 1 mm additional wing incidence. If this fixes the initial flight character, motor stick bending might be your problem. Of course, 1 mm additional incidence might not be optimal for the critical cruise and let down portions of the flight, this is just a test setting to try to understand how diving is occurring.

If roll control is the issue, that would typically happen during higher torque launches, just as you are experiencing.

Brian T
DarthBuilder
Division: Grad
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarthBuilder »

Does anyone have a link to Omar’s flaring props that would fit the FF models?
Deleted
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by pikachu4919 »

If anyone's looking for the earlier posts on the trial event, Aerial Scramble, they have been moved to their own separate thread in the builds forum.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
OpticsNerd
State: WI

Post by OpticsNerd »

newflight wrote:I recently ran into an issue with nose down at initial launch with higher torque. I wind rubber band to 1.3 torque and then dewind it to 0.65 torque. When I released it, it will hit on floor after several seconds. Then I picked it up and launched it again, it will fly more than 2 minutes. I then do the same thing to wind torque to 1.3 and dewind it to 0.6. it will fly ok. so, why it cannot fly with higher initial launch torque?
It's possible that your motorstick is too weak, causing it to bend at high torque which makes your plane dive.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

I agree with Optics Nerd. Please also check Brian's tips, and perhaps describe a little better as to the "character" of the dive on high torque. Is it rolling in sharply (as Brian described)/ Or is it just diving or quickly sinking?

Brian's approach of adding incidence is good, as it will reveal whether this is a bending issue or a torque issue. Last year one of our planes needed twice the decalage as our primary. It flew OK, but this was excess drag in the letdown phase. Without it, the plane would not climb, or would dive at high torque. After Nationals, we experimented with stiffening the motor stick, and problem completely went away. So if increasing the decalage, even by several mm, fixes the climb, look at adding stiffness to the motor stick and see if you can return to design decalage.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
newflight
Been thanked: 0

regarding to propeller selection

Post by newflight »

I have several propellers which are the same size with same pitch, however, the mass are very different, the heaviest is 2.3g and the lightest is 1.7. I would like to get some inputs on which propeller should be the best to use. I think the 1.7g should be the best, this will give the best weight balance. If I use 2.3g, it might make nose too heavy.
CrayolaCrayon

Re: regarding to propeller selection

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

newflight wrote:I have several propellers which are the same size with same pitch, however, the mass are very different, the heaviest is 2.3g and the lightest is 1.7. I would like to get some inputs on which propeller should be the best to use. I think the 1.7g should be the best, this will give the best weight balance. If I use 2.3g, it might make nose too heavy.
Are they ikara props? Just curious.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22

Return to “Wright Stuff C”