Hook base

Waterpigcow
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hook base

Post by Waterpigcow »

Our Boomilever team is having difficulty constructing a base to go over the hook. we can't find any designs that will go over the hook and hold the weight properly. Any and all suggestions appreciated!
Anonymous15

Re: Hook base

Post by Anonymous15 »

Hi,
What I've been doing is taking a thick piece of basswood (like 1/4 square) and putting it between the two tension members. Then, my team used gorilla glue between both tension-base joints, clamped the result, and let it dry for 24 hours. I got this idea from the forums, so I think this works for a lot of people on here. Good luck!
Waterpigcow
State: NC
Has thanked: 0

Post by Waterpigcow »

Anonymous15 wrote:Hi,
What I've been doing is taking a thick piece of basswood (like 1/4 square) and putting it between the two tension members. Then, my team used gorilla glue between both tension-base joints, clamped the result, and let it dry for 24 hours. I got this idea from the forums, so I think this works for a lot of people on here. Good luck!
Thanks this is very helpful, sounds like we just needed a thicker base then.
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

Waterpigcow wrote:
Anonymous15 wrote:Hi,
Thanks this is very helpful, sounds like we just needed a thicker base then.
My trick:
1. basswood stick 1/4 X 1/2 X ???.
2. pre-pressure the wood:

we put together the J hook with a luggage scale, then one guy holds the wood with 2 hands, the hook is on the wood between two hands. The gap between two hands is about 1 inch, simulating the real base length.

Then try to pull it and try to reach 40Kg. Make sure the wood is normal to the hook so you will get a perfect pressure mark.

This way, the base will deform less with real load and you know where to put the hook. It also checks whether the base can hold 40Kg.

We found 1/4X1/4 basswood cannot hold 40Kg

Best,

Jinhu
Anonymous15

Post by Anonymous15 »

@jinhusong,
Thanks for the information; sorry for suggesting the wrong size! But I do think thickening the base would still help. The question is probably how thick do you go without adding unnecessary weight.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”