dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by dxu46 »

Nba2302 wrote:Is it necessary to get a transparent UTM grid for this event? Many videos and websites say that you need one for plotting
Nope, it's perfectly doable without one, but it may be easier with a grid (albeit taking more time).
Anapolis
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Anapolis »

dxu46 wrote:
Nba2302 wrote:Is it necessary to get a transparent UTM grid for this event? Many videos and websites say that you need one for plotting
Nope, it's perfectly doable without one, but it may be easier with a grid (albeit taking more time).
ive personally never done utm without the grid but it sounds like it would be really time consuming, which could be a problem if you struggle with time in this event. Because utm is something thats tested more frequently in higher level comps, I would highly recommend investing in one if youre competing at that level. But if you arent, utm questions are very rarely tested until the state and national level so you would probably do fine without.
(n)
crime 5
road 19 (oof)
(s/n)
fast facts 2/11
 rocks 2/6
 road 7/6
crime 2/3
widi 2/6
wright stuff (lol only did invies)
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

Anapolis wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
ive personally never done utm without the grid but it sounds like it would be really time consuming, which could be a problem if you struggle with time in this event. Because utm is something thats tested more frequently in higher level comps, I would highly recommend investing in one if youre competing at that level. But if you arent, utm questions are very rarely tested until the state and national level so you would probably do fine without.
UTMs are like latitude/longitude so all you need is 2 rulers. IMO it's not good to be dependent on a grid.
IsabellaC92343
Division: B
State: NY

Post by IsabellaC92343 »

Does anyone have any advice regarding international maps? How can you prepare a binder for this without getting a legend for the map of every single country.
Thanks!
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

IsabellaC92343 wrote:Does anyone have any advice regarding international maps? How can you prepare a binder for this without getting a legend for the map of every single country.
Thanks!
I've never seen international maps, even at the national level. Even so, unless you can read all the languages, the ESs would provide an English legend if international maps were utilized.
IsabellaC92343

Post by IsabellaC92343 »

dxu46 wrote:
IsabellaC92343 wrote:Does anyone have any advice regarding international maps? How can you prepare a binder for this without getting a legend for the map of every single country.
Thanks!
I've never seen international maps, even at the national level. Even so, unless you can read all the languages, the ESs would provide an English legend if international maps were utilized.
For Harvard's Invitational we were given Japanese maps in somewhat English. But the types of roads and symbols used were different then most American maps and a legend was not provided. Is there any way one can study or prepare for another one of these tests?
Anapolis
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by Anapolis »

IsabellaC92343 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Thanks!
For Harvard's Invitational we were given Japanese maps in somewhat English. But the types of roads and symbols used were different then most American maps and a legend was not provided. Is there any way one can study or prepare for another one of these tests?
tbh that sounds like a one time thing, in 4 years of competing ive never seen an international map, i would just focus on american maps.
(n)
crime 5
road 19 (oof)
(s/n)
fast facts 2/11
 rocks 2/6
 road 7/6
crime 2/3
widi 2/6
wright stuff (lol only did invies)
AdiMohapatra77

Post by AdiMohapatra77 »

What information is helpful to have for the competition?
IsabellaC92343

Post by IsabellaC92343 »

AdiMohapatra77 wrote:What information is helpful to have for the competition?
There's a lot you need for Road Scholar but mostly is based on personal preference. But some helpful stuff would be:
-USGS symbol sheet
-PLSS sheet
-Highway Maps symbols, any and all you can find
-And really any tests you can find because you never know when you will see a similar question.
Hope this helps!
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

IsabellaC92343 wrote:
AdiMohapatra77 wrote:What information is helpful to have for the competition?
There's a lot you need for Road Scholar but mostly is based on personal preference. But some helpful stuff would be:
-USGS symbol sheet
-PLSS sheet
-Highway Maps symbols, any and all you can find
-And really any tests you can find because you never know when you will see a similar question.
Hope this helps!
-USGS symbol sheet is a must.
-I'm not a fan of the custom PLSS things. IMO it's better to learn PLSS so you actually understand it. With this, questions about determining PLSS only ever took me at most 30 seconds to do.
-Do you really need these? Most maps have keys, and the rest should come from experience (if you ever need them, which you shouldn't.)
-That sounds smart, but that would take a loooong time to search up, really time that you don't have.

A one-page sheet of all of the helpful formulas would also be helpful, if you're not too familiar with them. My coach always stressed logical deductions of formulas rather than strict memorization, which IMO is helpful in any situation (like when there are abnormal maps, like one that my partner used in one of his tests, specifically questions like 8b.)

Return to “2019 Study Events”