Dynamic Planet B/C

WangwithaTang

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by WangwithaTang »

dish123 wrote:1. Regarding only using 4 sheets, What does no annotations affixed mean? The instructions are vague, I don't understand if we can add our own things like pop-outs/glue-on?
2. Why do we need calculators?

Thanks,
dish123
1. Okay, I'm not sure, but I think it's where the sheet protectors themselves can't have notes.
2. We need calculators to calculate like ablation and accumulation zones, I think.
dish123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dish123 »

WangwithaTang wrote:
dish123 wrote:1. Regarding only using 4 sheets, What does no annotations affixed mean? The instructions are vague, I don't understand if we can add our own things like pop-outs/glue-on?

Thanks,
dish123
1. Okay, I'm not sure, but I think it's where the sheet protectors themselves can't have notes.
2. We need calculators to calculate like ablation and accumulation zones, I think.
Thanks!
dish123

Post by dish123 »

WangwithaTang wrote:

Thanks,
dish123
On second note, could you elaborate what you mean by calculating ablation and accumulation zones?
ET2020
Division: C
State: NY

Post by ET2020 »

Does anyone know what the range of scores was for Dynamic at the MIT invitational?
Fayetteville Manlius High School
2020 Events: Astronomy, Code, Dynamic, PPP
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

ET2020 wrote:Does anyone know what the range of scores was for Dynamic at the MIT invitational?
I don't know the range of scores, but I can tell you that the highest score was 80.5. So try to beat that
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

So I'm at a dilemma for this event. Using the resources I have, I can sweep through most tests I've taken, but if it comes to something like the MIT test, I can't do much. What are some good resources for the application based questions in Dynamic Planet?
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

SciolyHarsh wrote:So I'm at a dilemma for this event. Using the resources I have, I can sweep through most tests I've taken, but if it comes to something like the MIT test, I can't do much. What are some good resources for the application based questions in Dynamic Planet?
Can you give an example? Probably the only thing you can study for there is having a thorough understanding of the topics the questions cover.
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
SciolyHarsh wrote:So I'm at a dilemma for this event. Using the resources I have, I can sweep through most tests I've taken, but if it comes to something like the MIT test, I can't do much. What are some good resources for the application based questions in Dynamic Planet?
Can you give an example? Probably the only thing you can study for there is having a thorough understanding of the topics the questions cover.
Using Clapeyron’s equation as guidance and assuming the enthalpy of fusion is similar for all types
of ice, which of the ice types is the most dense ice? Explain your reasoning.
(5 points)
Something like this would confuse me. How would I do this without explicitly knowing which ice type is the most dense?

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

SciolyHarsh wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Using Clapeyron’s equation as guidance and assuming the enthalpy of fusion is similar for all types
of ice, which of the ice types is the most dense ice? Explain your reasoning.
(5 points)
Something like this would confuse me. How would I do this without explicitly knowing which ice type is the most dense?
This is a really random question that has more to do with Thermodynamics honestly

Clapeyron's equation states that the steepness (derivative) of the melting curve on a pressure-temperature graph is directly proportional to the density of ice. Using a phase diagram (?), I think you could locate the densest piece of ice
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

Ohh ok. That actually makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Return to “2019 Study Events”