Fossils B/C

AwersomeUser
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by AwersomeUser »

also, are all the fossils that i am going to be identifying be a physical fossil? or can they be on photos too? also do i need a magnifying glass? i don't want to buy one (if my school doesn't have any to borrow to me).
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
AwersomeUser
Division: B

Post by AwersomeUser »

MadCow2357 wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:(URGENT!!!!-My competition is this Saturday!)Hi again! How do you all format the photos on google docs? Do you start a new line and put in line or do you use wrap text to save space? Also how big should my photo be and how many photo should I put for each?
Also, what does it really mean by "Taxonomic classification restricted to the hierarchy on the Science Olympiad Official Fossil
List". So it is like I don't need to know all this:"Protista (kingdom), Foraminifera (phylum), Granuloreticulosea (class), Foramiferida (order), Fusilinidae (family), Fusilinids (genus) for number 1 on the list but just Kingdom Protozoa and phylum forminifera (forams)?
iii. Conditions
Thanks in advance!!!
Compacting the photos and saving space isn't as important for this event, since you can have up to a 3 inch binder. I have one page of information and the back is for photos, I usually have 3 per genus. You should put whatever taxonomic classifications there are, even though they probably won't test you on too much of it. Just in case.

And also do I need to know the subclasses or orders? like for genus astraeospongia. I don't think I do, right?
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

AwersomeUser wrote:also, are all the fossils that i am going to be identifying be a physical fossil? or can they be on photos too? also do i need a magnifying glass? i don't want to buy one (if my school doesn't have any to borrow to me).
They can be either physical or photos. You will probably not need a magnifying glass.
AwersomeUser wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:(URGENT!!!!-My competition is this Saturday!)Hi again! How do you all format the photos on google docs? Do you start a new line and put in line or do you use wrap text to save space? Also how big should my photo be and how many photo should I put for each?
Also, what does it really mean by "Taxonomic classification restricted to the hierarchy on the Science Olympiad Official Fossil
List". So it is like I don't need to know all this:"Protista (kingdom), Foraminifera (phylum), Granuloreticulosea (class), Foramiferida (order), Fusilinidae (family), Fusilinids (genus) for number 1 on the list but just Kingdom Protozoa and phylum forminifera (forams)?
iii. Conditions
Thanks in advance!!!
Compacting the photos and saving space isn't as important for this event, since you can have up to a 3 inch binder. I have one page of information and the back is for photos, I usually have 3 per genus. You should put whatever taxonomic classifications there are, even though they probably won't test you on too much of it. Just in case.

And also do I need to know the subclasses or orders? like for genus astraeospongia. I don't think I do, right?
Classification questions are theoretically restricted to what is listed on the Fossil List. I would note the full classification of each specimen somewhere.
HippoLowercase

Post by HippoLowercase »

Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

HippoLowercase wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!
Velociraptor is smaller, around 2 feet tall. Coelophysis has four digits while velociraptor has three. Velociraptor's inner toe has a large claw.
hmmm
State: NJ

Post by hmmm »

HippoLowercase wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!
From my binder: "Coelophysis's skull is long, thin, and curves downward. Velociraptor's skull curves slightly upward,has a pronounced bump at the end of the snout. Coelophysis has three toes on each foot while Velociraptor has four toes on each foot."
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Kyanite »

Velociraptor had 3 distinct fingers, Coelophysis had 4. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
HippoLowercase

Post by HippoLowercase »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Velociraptor is smaller, around 2 feet tall. Coelophysis has four digits while velociraptor has three. Velociraptor's inner toe has a large claw.
Wow that was pretty fast. Thanks for the help!
HippoLowercase

Post by HippoLowercase »

Kyanite wrote:
Velociraptor had 3 distinct fingers, Coelophysis had 4. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Another person mentioned this, so I think it's correct. Thanks for the help!
Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Kyanite »

HippoLowercase wrote:
Kyanite wrote:
Another person mentioned this, so I think it's correct. Thanks for the help!
Replies had not loaded for me yet, I guess they were quicker then me :lol:

Return to “2019 Study Events”