Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by Unome »

Kyanite wrote:
venusaur711 wrote:
venusaur711 wrote:

Is Wikipedia a super rel able resource though?
*reliable
It definitely is to a degree, wiki has a bad reputation but it has gotten a lot more reliable in the past couple years. I used it as a last resort for some information but I always starred the information or put it into italics so I would remember that the information could be less reliable. I would often just use the wiki pages for the reference links at the bottom as they were often reputable sites.
Reliable information and unreliable information are relatively straightforward to distinguish. I would recommend using as many sources as you can, and cross-referencing them.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
NordoniaMS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NordoniaMS »

Good Morning.
I have a question about using a field guide in the binder. The rules states: Each team may bring one 2019 Official National Herpetology List as well as one two-inch or smaller standard binder containing information in any form and from any source attached using the available
rings.

If the field guide is attached using a magazine holder for a binder is that acceptable? I know that having it in a sleeve was not the last invitational we went to. They made the kids choose between the book and the binder.

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this!
:)
Gina
DontWorryAboutIt
Division: C

Post by DontWorryAboutIt »

NordoniaMS wrote:Good Morning.
I have a question about using a field guide in the binder. The rules states: Each team may bring one 2019 Official National Herpetology List as well as one two-inch or smaller standard binder containing information in any form and from any source attached using the available
rings.

If the field guide is attached using a magazine holder for a binder is that acceptable? I know that having it in a sleeve was not the last invitational we went to. They made the kids choose between the book and the binder.

Gina
I don't have the answer to the question of whether a magazine holder for a binder is acceptable. However I would suggest if feasible, scan and copy the pages from the field guide and then just hole punch them and put them into your bind. That way you won't have to worry about whether the ES's will allow it or not.
Solon '20
NordoniaMS

Post by NordoniaMS »

DontWorryAboutIt wrote:
rings.

Gina
I don't have the answer to the question of whether a magazine holder for a binder is acceptable. However I would suggest if feasible, scan and copy the pages from the field guide and then just hole punch them and put them into your bind. That way you won't have to worry about whether the ES's will allow it or not.

Thank you. We thought about doing that. It is just a lot of paper and ink the school would be spending money on.

NEW question regarding the book.....Are post it notes permitted in the book?
cbrant554
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

NordoniaMS wrote:
DontWorryAboutIt wrote:
rings.

Gina

Thank you. We thought about doing that. It is just a lot of paper and ink the school would be spending money on.

NEW question regarding the book.....Are post it notes permitted in the book?
If your trying to use a book in competition that is no longer allowed, but in the binder I would say no because the rules state that all information needs to be in the rings of the binder.
emmalasagna
State: CT

Post by emmalasagna »

DontWorryAboutIt wrote:
rings.

Gina
I suggest doing this too, also because field guides can have a lot of unnecessary info on specimens that aren't on the list. Overall, student made notes in binders are probably the best way to go.
bedford ms '19, staples hs '23
ornithology, fossils, designer genes, expd

please bring back herp like actually please
NordoniaMS

Post by NordoniaMS »

emmalasagna wrote:
DontWorryAboutIt wrote:
rings.

Gina
I suggest doing this too, also because field guides can have a lot of unnecessary info on specimens that aren't on the list. Overall, student made notes in binders are probably the best way to go.
Thank you everyone!
: )
DontWorryAboutIt

Post by DontWorryAboutIt »

NordoniaMS wrote:
emmalasagna wrote:
DontWorryAboutIt wrote: I don't have the answer to the question of whether a magazine holder for a binder is acceptable. However I would suggest if feasible, scan and copy the pages from the field guide and then just hole punch them and put them into your bind. That way you won't have to worry about whether the ES's will allow it or not.
I agree, the best binder IMO is one with student made info not a field guide because a lot of the stuff in field guides again are pretty useless. Also by using your own sheets, you will be able to locate the information in your binder faster because you yourself made the pages. Using your own pages will increase your efficiency in finding info and will simultaneously help you learn the information yourself as you create the pages.
Solon '20
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

How do you guys differentiate between Gyrinophilus and Pseudotriton? As far as we can tell, Pseudotriton has more prominent black spots and Gyrinophilus appears to (sometimes?) have yellow eyes, but we’re having a bit of trouble differentiating between the two, so if anyone has any tips that would be great :D
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
Kyanite
State: WA

Post by Kyanite »

dragonfruit35 wrote:How do you guys differentiate between Gyrinophilus and Pseudotriton? As far as we can tell, Pseudotriton has more prominent black spots and Gyrinophilus appears to (sometimes?) have yellow eyes, but we’re having a bit of trouble differentiating between the two, so if anyone has any tips that would be great :D
For me I thought Gyrinophilus's eyes seem to be farther back from the tip of the snout and the head just looks "boxier" while Pseudotrition had a more rounded face.

Return to “2019 Study Events”