Protein Modeling C

eagerlearner102
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by eagerlearner102 »

Also, the research paper was talking about the significance of asp14. I am kind of confused by what they meant. Do they mean that occupying the phosphate lock loop prevents guide RNA from being formed (target heteroduplex)? I am confused.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
shivanirao21
Has thanked: 0

Post by shivanirao21 »

thoughts on adding the sgRNA to the model? for regionals, my partner and i built just the AcrIIA4 with significant side chains... and i think adding more would have earned us more points. we want to add on for states. would adding the sgRNA be too much??
Codebusters
Forensics
Protein Modeling
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

shivanirao21 wrote:thoughts on adding the sgRNA to the model? for regionals, my partner and i built just the AcrIIA4 with significant side chains... and i think adding more would have earned us more points. we want to add on for states. would adding the sgRNA be too much??
I don't think it's too much; rather it's important to the Cas9 protein, but AcrIIA4 doesn't directly affect the sgRNA. Therefore, you might be better off adding some of the parts that AcrIIA4 directly interacts with.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Rules clarification as of today: the points distribution is 20% pre-build, 40% onsite build, and 40% test. This might be one of the latest rules clarification ever issued, and it's a rather major one too.

https://www.soinc.org/events/rules-clarifications
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Unome wrote:Rules clarification as of today: the points distribution is 20% pre-build, 40% onsite build, and 40% test. This might be one of the latest rules clarification ever issued, and it's a rather major one too.

I'm really curious about the reasoning behind it. For the rules clarification to happen this late, and for it to be one that has such a big impact, there has to be some major reason they felt like they had to do it.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Unome wrote:Rules clarification as of today: the points distribution is 20% pre-build, 40% onsite build, and 40% test. This might be one of the latest rules clarification ever issued, and it's a rather major one too.

I'm really curious about the reasoning behind it. For the rules clarification to happen this late, and for it to be one that has such a big impact, there has to be some major reason they felt like they had to do it.
Maybe it goes to some of the 'pay-to-win' type things. I think some schools are sinking a ton of money into it and they probably just don't want that.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
primitivepolonium
State: CA

Post by primitivepolonium »

CookiePie1 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:

Maybe it goes to some of the 'pay-to-win' type things. I think some schools are sinking a ton of money into it and they probably just don't want that.
So I'm a States supervisor for Protein Modeling. I can't say much, but my understanding is that there really isn't a lot of...safety around the prebuild rubric. It is pay-to-win.

The general gist is: if things haven't changed too much since 2015/6, I have pretty good reason to suspect that a good chunk of teams (including top teams) have the model and rubric. When I did PMod then, my Protein partner and coach got their hands on the prebuild rubric; I knew people at other schools who did the same.

The final straw was an incident of widespread distribution of the rubric. Afterwards, MSOE probably decided that it wasn't really fair to put so much value on the prebuild section and thus adjusted the score accordingly. It's a bit late to really do much else towards changing the event.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

primitive_polonium wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: I'm really curious about the reasoning behind it. For the rules clarification to happen this late, and for it to be one that has such a big impact, there has to be some major reason they felt like they had to do it.
So I'm a States supervisor for Protein Modeling. I can't say much, but my understanding is that there really isn't a lot of...safety around the prebuild rubric. It is pay-to-win.

The general gist is: if things haven't changed too much since 2015/6, I have pretty good reason to suspect that a good chunk of teams (including top teams) have the model and rubric. When I did PMod then, my Protein partner and coach got their hands on the prebuild rubric; I knew people at other schools who did the same.

The final straw was an incident of widespread distribution of the rubric. Afterwards, MSOE probably decided that it wasn't really fair to put so much value on the prebuild section and thus adjusted the score accordingly. It's a bit late to really do much else towards changing the event.
I get the feeling that this was inevitable, considering the way the rubric is held in secret.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Person

Post by Person »

CookiePie1 wrote:
Person wrote:Does the final alpha helix begin at Glu71, or Glu70?
In Jmol, you can just do 'color structure' and hover your mouse on where the last helix begins (I think its purple for a 3-10 helix)
I think I'm confused because looking at this, it would appear to start at Glu71, but looking at Jmol, it seems to start at Glu70. I noticed this with the other helices too - according to the sequence chain view, the first helix starts at Ile3, but the prebuild visualization environment colors it magenta starting from Asn2, etc. Should I just follow the sequence chain view from the PDB?
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
juakk700
State: IN

Post by juakk700 »

Hello! I was looking at past rubrics from this event in the past. I was wondering if anyone knew the differences between Loops and Turns they mention? Rubric from 2010 is below.

https://scioly.org/wiki/images/2/2e/201 ... Onsite.pdf
North Central HS

Return to “2019 Lab Events”