Wright Stuff C

bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by bjt4888 »

Rossyspace,

See the 2015 WS forum “Winding” thread for a sample of graphing winding and unwinding torque. See the last post.

The reason to graph or chart unwinding torque is not so much to analyze breaking torque, it’s to understand the torque output over time during flight with that particular motor. This charting of data allows you to determine pretty well a best motor density and length and vintage for a particular propeller type and pitch and airplane design and trim.

Brian T
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Darthbuilder,

Rubber powered indoor airplanes do not glide test well without power. I never do this and I don’t know any top flier that does. Set up the airplane with a known good starting point for trim and fly it powered with the motor. After getting best flights with a particular trim, try an new trim (CG change and then incidence changes, for example) and see if you get improvement in duration.

It’s kind of crazy, in my opinion, that an I powered test flight is allowed by the rules in order to end the “preflight period”. We have a strategy for this.

Brian T
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Typo, should say “...an unpowered...”. Another bad autocorrect.
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

Although this may be an interesting question to ask, is it possible to run two official flights at the same time if running short on the 8-minute flight period? What I mean is your first flight has extended and will most likely end after the 8 minutes, so can I start my second official flight while my first is still in the air, and get times for both?
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

Rossyspsce wrote:Although this may be an interesting question to ask, is it possible to run two official flights at the same time if running short on the 8-minute flight period? What I mean is your first flight has extended and will most likely end after the 8 minutes, so can I start my second official flight while my first is still in the air, and get times for both?
I think you assume that you have then checked in two different planes (which is allowed) and yes, multiple official flights are allowed at the ES discretion (4f). However, I would think no ES would allow that since it would be hard to distinguish which plane has landed first (easy to check later but still an opportunity for ambiguity, which is bad). Furthermore, any collisions in the air would detract from your score, so it would not be in your best interest to fly concurrently in my opinion.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
klastyioer
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

Rossyspsce wrote:Although this may be an interesting question to ask, is it possible to run two official flights at the same time if running short on the 8-minute flight period? What I mean is your first flight has extended and will most likely end after the 8 minutes, so can I start my second official flight while my first is still in the air, and get times for both?
lmao why would it take you so long in the first place
just ask the es if you can fly two planes at the same time
but honestly if i were you and i knew it would work the day if i would just aim for getting one rly good time in rather than rushing both and getting times that want your best
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

klastyioer wrote:
lmao why would it take you so long in the first place
just ask the es if you can fly two planes at the same time
but honestly if i were you and i knew it would work the day if i would just aim for getting one rly good time in rather than rushing both and getting times that want your best
It's that I have had comps where the plane has broke and ended up with about 3 minutes left at the beginning of my first flight
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

It sounds like a good idea if both your planes are just as good as each other :?:
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:It sounds like a good idea if both your planes are just as good as each other :?:
rather equally BAD
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

I have had similar thoughts. There were reports that Nationals could be in an 80-foot ceiling, in which case times aloft could exceed 6 minutes, and therefore even if wound off-plane, it may be difficult to get the second flight launched in the 8-minute window. I have asked this question over a month ago on the FAQ, but no reply. I suspect they do not believe such long flights are possible. Perhaps I am over-estimating the benefits of a tall ceiling.

Most ES's will not have sufficient timing teams and equipment to allow multiple flights per team simultaneously. But this should be addressed if a high ceiling is utilized.

I suggest you also ask via FAQ, to make it indeed "frequently asked"

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

Return to “Wright Stuff C”