builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Mystery Architecture B

Post by builderguy135 »

wzhang5460 wrote:Greetings my fellow Mystery Architecture legends, if you want some practice and see how you compare to other teams, below is a link for a practice prompt made by our good friends over at Community. Feel free to add your score if you choose to participate. Good luck and have fun.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fPD ... grM-c/edit
^^^ No time limit, by the way.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

wzhang5460 wrote:Greetings my fellow Mystery Architecture legends, if you want some practice and see how you compare to other teams, below is a link for a practice prompt made by our good friends over at Community. Feel free to add your score if you choose to participate. Good luck and have fun.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fPD ... grM-c/edit
Cool! I made some edits if you don't mind.
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
volunteerDad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by volunteerDad »

Hello, I'm coaching for the first time and glad to see that there's some conversation on these. I also have no clue what to expect. Here's my question. For a tunnel, I'm assuming we need essentially a floor, two walls and a ceiling, with openings at both ends, correct? This isn't an elevated bridge tunnel or just something like that. This tunnel just sits flat on the floor or table?
heiber

Post by heiber »

volunteerDad wrote:Hello, I'm coaching for the first time and glad to see that there's some conversation on these. I also have no clue what to expect. Here's my question. For a tunnel, I'm assuming we need essentially a floor, two walls and a ceiling, with openings at both ends, correct? This isn't an elevated bridge tunnel or just something like that. This tunnel just sits flat on the floor or table?
My guess is for any tunnel it will be on the table as a base. Making it elevated would be very challenging. It is up to the event coordinator to decide if it needs to be a fully enclosed tunnel (with a floor) or if the table can act as the floor (thus requiring only 3 sides to enclose).
DatSciolyBoi
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by DatSciolyBoi »

volunteerDad wrote:Hello, I'm coaching for the first time and glad to see that there's some conversation on these. I also have no clue what to expect. Here's my question. For a tunnel, I'm assuming we need essentially a floor, two walls and a ceiling, with openings at both ends, correct? This isn't an elevated bridge tunnel or just something like that. This tunnel just sits flat on the floor or table?
The students might be asked to hold it vertically so that the object can be taken through it by gravity.
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets
newtoscioly

Post by newtoscioly »

can anyone share some ideas of tests for cantilever and arches including supply list. think out of the box is getting harder and harder.
heiber

Post by heiber »

newtoscioly wrote:can anyone share some ideas of tests for cantilever and arches including supply list. think out of the box is getting harder and harder.
Here are a couple I have come up with. When I put events together I try to come up with a specific "challenge" - meaning one thing that will be the hardest part such as: limited amount of tape, heaving weight, limited materials. That way they can focus on techniques to address that specific challenge in the practice.

Create the longest free-standing cantilever that can hold 1 AAA battery. Counterweight is 1 D battery. Cantilever must rest on bucket and not be secured. Neither battery can be secured to the tower and must be held for a minimum of 10 seconds. Materials:
• 12 playing cards
• 8 straws
• 30 cm string
• 60 cm masking tape
Primary measurement: Longest length from edge of bucket to AAA battery
Secondary measurement: Shortest length from edge of bucket to edge of cantilever on the base.

Create the longest free-standing cantilever that can hold 2 AA batteries. Counterweight is 12 oz can. Cantilever must rest on the table and not be secured. Neither battery can be secured to the arch and must be held for a minimum of 10 seconds. Materials:
• 4 index cards
• 10 stirrers
• 60 cm string
• 60 cm masking tape
Primary measurement: Longest length from edge of table to closest battery
Secondary measurement: Shortest length from edge of table to edge of cantilever on the base.

Make the highest arch that can support a golf ball. Arch and golf ball cannot cannot be secured to the table. Arch supports must be at least 10 cm apart. Materials:
• 40 straws
• 5 popsicle sticks
• 4 pipe cleaners
• 4 cups
• Masking tape
Primary measurement: Height from the middle of the arch to the lowest cross bracing.
Secondary measurement: Widest distance of the supports

Make an arch that can support a golf ball. Arch and golf ball cannot be secured to the table. The golf ball must be placed within 3 cms of the center of the arch. Materials:
• 8 straws
• 5 popsicle sticks
• 5 rubber bands
• 1 wood board
• 45 cm masking tape
• Cannot use bag or instructions
Primary measurement: Combined dimensions of the height plus width
Secondary measurement: Tallest arch
heiber

Post by heiber »

heiber wrote:
newtoscioly wrote:can anyone share some ideas of tests for cantilever and arches including supply list. think out of the box is getting harder and harder.
Here are a couple I have come up with. When I put events together I try to come up with a specific "challenge" - meaning one thing that will be the hardest part such as: limited amount of tape, heaving weight, limited materials. That way they can focus on techniques to address that specific challenge in the practice.

Create the longest free-standing cantilever that can hold 1 AAA battery. Counterweight is 1 D battery. Cantilever must rest on bucket and not be secured. Neither battery can be secured to the tower and must be held for a minimum of 10 seconds. Materials:
• 12 playing cards
• 8 straws
• 30 cm string
• 60 cm masking tape
Primary measurement: Longest length from edge of bucket to AAA battery
Secondary measurement: Shortest length from edge of bucket to edge of cantilever on the base.

Create the longest free-standing cantilever that can hold 2 AA batteries. Counterweight is 12 oz can. Cantilever must rest on the table and not be secured. Neither battery can be secured to the cantilever and must be held for a minimum of 10 seconds. Materials:
• 4 index cards
• 10 stirrers
• 60 cm string
• 60 cm masking tape
Primary measurement: Longest length from edge of table to closest battery
Secondary measurement: Shortest length from edge of table to edge of cantilever on the base.

Make the highest arch that can support a golf ball. Arch and golf ball cannot cannot be secured to the table. Arch supports must be at least 10 cm apart. Materials:
• 40 straws
• 5 popsicle sticks
• 4 pipe cleaners
• 4 cups
• Masking tape
Primary measurement: Height from the middle of the arch to the lowest cross bracing.
Secondary measurement: Widest distance of the supports

Make an arch that can support a golf ball. Arch and golf ball cannot be secured to the table. The golf ball must be placed within 3 cms of the center of the arch. Materials:
• 8 straws
• 5 popsicle sticks
• 5 rubber bands
• 1 wood board
• 45 cm masking tape
• Cannot use bag or instructions
Primary measurement: Combined dimensions of the height plus width
Secondary measurement: Tallest arch
newtoscioly

Post by newtoscioly »

Thank you HEIBER! this is great. I really do appreciate you taking time to post this, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
heiber

Post by heiber »

newtoscioly wrote:Thank you HEIBER! this is great. I really do appreciate you taking time to post this, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
No problem. With each build I try and focus on one main objective I want them to learn and put together a material list fo that.such as: maximum strength; utilizing tension; scarcity of tape; different ways to use paper......

Also, after the team has gotten experience, I ask them to put together build packages for the team to use at practice. Then you get more ideas and variety and they have to think about how the event works.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”