Water Quality B/C

Flyingfish
Division: C
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by Flyingfish »

For the salinometer, my 1-10% marks are really close, and those are only for whole numbers. How are we expected to measure down to the tenth? We are using a straw with clay on the end. Is there a way to spread out these marks more? Also, depending on how the salinometer is put into the water, the measurement tends to vary by a percent.

Please help :(
jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

Flyingfish wrote:For the salinometer, my 1-10% marks are really close, and those are only for whole numbers. How are we expected to measure down to the tenth? We are using a straw with clay on the end. Is there a way to spread out these marks more? Also, depending on how the salinometer is put into the water, the measurement tends to vary by a percent.

Please help :(
One possibility is electronically calibrating a salinometer but that's a lotta work. One thing I found to change how far apart the lines are is changing the shape of the clay. And about measuring to the tenth, you should have the integer lines marked and estimate from there; the exact doesn't really matter because you get a wide range of values for full credit.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
annchen128
State: MN
Has thanked: 0

Post by annchen128 »

Are we supposed to know the pupa/egg form of the organism during identification?
Hello
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

annchen128 wrote:Are we supposed to know the pupa/egg form of the organism during identification?
I think it depends on the organism, but most likely no? Just larvae and adult. Unless it's, like, water mite or uh giant water bug where the eggs are on another organism or on it.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
jimmy-bond

Post by jimmy-bond »

annchen128 wrote:Are we supposed to know the pupa/egg form of the organism during identification?
I've seen it come up for C, and I recommend knowing the most obvious ones at least.
bp31000
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

sourpatchkids wrote:In a Water Quality test, there was a question stating that the condition in which DO is below 1 mg and no life that requires oxygen can be supported is
called stagnation. The other answer choices were hypoxia, bioaccumulation, and apoxia.
Can someone explain why the answer isn't hypoxia, but stagnation?
Thanks.
Hypoxia is the term used for hypoxemia (low oxygen in blood). so outside of organisms or human body the term is not used, may be that is why?
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
hmmm
State: NJ

Post by hmmm »

bp31000 wrote:
sourpatchkids wrote:In a Water Quality test, there was a question stating that the condition in which DO is below 1 mg and no life that requires oxygen can be supported is
called stagnation. The other answer choices were hypoxia, bioaccumulation, and apoxia.
Can someone explain why the answer isn't hypoxia, but stagnation?
Thanks.
Hypoxia is the term used for hypoxemia (low oxygen in blood). so outside of organisms or human body the term is not used, may be that is why?
No, hypoxia is used outside of anatomy when referring to low DO water. That test question was just wrong.
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
Chameleon02
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by Chameleon02 »

Ive fallen into a sort of predicament. I literally dont know of resources to study from for WQ. What resources are you guys using. I already exhausted everything on question marathons, soinc sites, and many sites on google. I know I can get way better but dont know of resources to study from.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
jimmy-bond

Post by jimmy-bond »

Chameleon02 wrote:Ive fallen into a sort of predicament. I literally dont know of resources to study from for WQ. What resources are you guys using. I already exhausted everything on question marathons, soinc sites, and many sites on google. I know I can get way better but dont know of resources to study from.
After going through every section of the rules, there isn't much to do besides test. By taking tests, you can get the general sense of what is being asked and add information to your notes accordingly. If you've been constantly studying up to this point, there's not much else you can do, especially at this point of the season.
bp31000
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

Chameleon02 wrote:Ive fallen into a sort of predicament. I literally dont know of resources to study from for WQ. What resources are you guys using. I already exhausted everything on question marathons, soinc sites, and many sites on google. I know I can get way better but dont know of resources to study from.
our coach advised us to study from fresh water chapters of environmental science textbooks and water chapters in geology textbooks. it doesn't cover water testing part, though.
for the macro invertebrates id section, there are lots of id games online
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:

Return to “2019 Study Events”