Solar System B

Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by Killboe »

AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What should I put in my cheat sheet? Help!!

It's February and you still don't have a cheat? Aren't you the guy in Community? Put information on ALL (I repeat, ALL) celestial bodies in the rule sheet, regarding atmosphere composition, distance from Earth, orbital period, perihelion, aphelion, interior composition, things regarding their names (this is weird but it shows up in tests frequently weirdly), eccentricity, mass, and fun facts. Also be sure to include an image of a labeled moon, aswell as Kepler's Laws, information regarding Trojans, all space missions in the rules (their launch date is a question that shows up frequently in tests), also sorry for the run on sentence but include moon tides. Also include basic vocab in case you forget..

Good luck.
AwersomeUser
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by AwersomeUser »

Killboe wrote:

It's February and you still don't have a cheat? Aren't you the guy in Community? Put information on ALL (I repeat, ALL) celestial bodies in the rule sheet, regarding atmosphere composition, distance from Earth, orbital period, perihelion, aphelion, interior composition, things regarding their names (this is weird but it shows up in tests frequently weirdly), eccentricity, mass, and fun facts. Also be sure to include an image of a labeled moon, aswell as Kepler's Laws, information regarding Trojans, all space missions in the rules (their launch date is a question that shows up frequently in tests), also sorry for the run on sentence but include moon tides. Also include basic vocab in case you forget..

Good luck.
Ok thanks a lot! Should i know the albedo or absolute magnitude or apparent magnitude (i still can’t reallly tell the difference) or the diameter and mass and surface features? What kind of fun facts do you mean? Is it like a 11yr old girl call I forgot her name I think it is Burney suggested the name Pluto that kind of stuff?
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
PotatoBoi

Post by PotatoBoi »

Killboe wrote:

Good luck.
Where did you get the information that he/she is from Community?
LiteralRhinoceros
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

I believe Killboe mixed me up with AwesomeUser. I had previously confirmed I am from Community on the question marathon.
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
JessRose

Post by JessRose »

Do the tests generally have information that wasn't included in the Science Olympiad Spreadsheets?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

JessRose wrote:Do the tests generally have information that wasn't included in the Science Olympiad Spreadsheets?
I don't know which spreadsheets you're talking about, but events can cover anything listed in the rules, which can be quite broad. No one resource comes close to capturing all or even most of the content in an event.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

AwersomeUser wrote:
Killboe wrote:

Good luck.
Ok thanks a lot! Should i know the albedo or absolute magnitude or apparent magnitude (i still can’t reallly tell the difference) or the diameter and mass and surface features? What kind of fun facts do you mean? Is it like a 11yr old girl call I forgot her name I think it is Burney suggested the name Pluto that kind of stuff?
Yes, definitely include mass, surface features, diameter (i dont think this will come up on tests but might as well include it), and albedo. I haven't seen absolute magnitude come up on any tests so I don't think there will be a need for it.

For fun facts, an example would be like, why was 2007 OR10 originally named Snow White?
porphyry
Division: C
State: CT

Post by porphyry »

Hey everybody! I looked at the rules earlier this year and got super excited because the topic seemed really interesting. But all of the tests I've taken in invitationals and through trading (with the exception of Garnet Valley and a few others) have been really off topic and underwhelming, with almost nothing about composition, internal structure, atmosphere, or surface features. It's mostly been about why things are named, eclipses, and stuff about comets for some reason. Even the Cornell test was really disappointing. Has anyone else had this problem?
Staples HS, CT Dank Memes Area Homeschool :D

2020 Events: Astronomy, Dynamic, GeoLogic Mapping
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

porphyry wrote:Hey everybody! I looked at the rules earlier this year and got super excited because the topic seemed really interesting. But all of the tests I've taken in invitationals and through trading (with the exception of Garnet Valley and a few others) have been really off topic and underwhelming, with almost nothing about composition, internal structure, atmosphere, or surface features. It's mostly been about why things are named, eclipses, and stuff about comets for some reason. Even the Cornell test was really disappointing. Has anyone else had this problem?
I think Solar System is a hard event to write a test for, especially when you don't have any experience in it. When I competed in Solar System, the first test I saw that wasn't very short/easy or off-topic was at Nationals, where the event supervisor, Dusty Schroeder, was pretty much an expert in this field.

If you're looking for tests, perhaps the UT Invitational test from earlier this year could be helpful (here are links to the exam and key). Additionally, I'm writing the Solar System test for the UT Regional this weekend - once it's over, I'll post it on the forums. I put a lot of time and effort into making the test challenging (while still on topic), so hopefully that can help too!
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

porphyry wrote:Hey everybody! I looked at the rules earlier this year and got super excited because the topic seemed really interesting. But all of the tests I've taken in invitationals and through trading (with the exception of Garnet Valley and a few others) have been really off topic and underwhelming, with almost nothing about composition, internal structure, atmosphere, or surface features. It's mostly been about why things are named, eclipses, and stuff about comets for some reason. Even the Cornell test was really disappointing. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had this problem at the beginning of the year, in October, there was an invitational at OSS. It was terrible, really, it had maybe 4 or 5 questions that related to the rules. Although, I have taken a lot of tests, around 9-12, and most of them are on topic. Today, I took a test, and to be honest, a lot of questions weren't on the rules. There were things about Neptune, satellite of Jupiter and Saturn, and other unrelated things. I'm going to have to agree (even though I haven't written a SS test) with Adi and say that SS is a hard event to write a test on. You just have to hope that the writers will do there research and write good questions. But, I see things related to eclipses on almost all SS tests, so I would study up on that. You should learn about liberation, tides, and resonance, even though it doesn't really say it in the rules. Every now and then I see things such as "What was 2007 OR10 nicknamed", but not that often. That's why you need to take multiple invitational tests in order to become familiar on the questions that the REAL DEAL tests will ask.

Return to “2019 Study Events”