Vortexx
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Codebusters C

Post by Vortexx »

linzhiyan wrote:
Name wrote:
linzhiyan wrote: Hmm... This seems to be exactly the opposite of what the Warrensburg test was like... (Besides the fact that they had a wide variety of codes- 2 aristocrats, 1 affine, 1 atbash, 1 caesar, 1 vigenere, and 2 hills).
That's not even a variety... No patristocrats or xenocrypts or bacon
^exactly
At an invitational, there was like 12 aristocrats/patristocrats on there. Needless to say, we didn't finish the test.
[hide]Events|2017-Mission, Hovercraft
2018- Mission, Hover, Codebusters, Source Code
TheWood
Division: C
State: GA

Post by TheWood »

Do you guys have any tips for solving the Spanish question? Nobody on my team is a native speaker and out of the three people on the team for code we only have one taking spanish. Additionally, how do you guys use the four function calculator? I feel like whenever I use it I’m prone to mistakes.I only use the calculator for RSA and even then I avoid it if the numbers are small enough. I appreciate any advice y’all can give me!
Brookwood High School (Head Officer)
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

TheWood wrote:Do you guys have any tips for solving the Spanish question? Nobody on my team is a native speaker and out of the three people on the team for code we only have one taking spanish. Additionally, how do you guys use the four function calculator? I feel like whenever I use it I’m prone to mistakes.I only use the calculator for RSA and even then I avoid it if the numbers are small enough. I appreciate any advice y’all can give me!
For xenocrypts, memorize the letter frequency order (EAOSRN, and E and A are very close in frequency, unlike in English, where E is by far the most common letter). I usually start by looking for some of the smaller words (el, la, que, de, etc), then seeing if any of the longer words start to come together. I’m not a native Spanish speaker, but I did take 3 years of Spanish, and this strategy seems to work alright for me. Hope it helps :D
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
Anonymous15

Post by Anonymous15 »

What does toebes mean?
Vortexx
State: IN

Post by Vortexx »

Anonymous15 wrote:What does toebes mean?
its a website that you can use to make codes.
[hide]Events|2017-Mission, Hovercraft
2018- Mission, Hover, Codebusters, Source Code
waterlubber
State: NY

Post by waterlubber »

Anyone know about "ideal" calculators? Basically, the most digits (and with a memory, hopefully) that you can cram into a four-function. RSA is...calculationally demanding, to say the least.
Kellenberg Div. C D (rip States 2020)
Circuit Lab, Chemistry Lab, Code Busters, Detector Building, Machines, Sounds of Music, Fermi Emeritus
93 medals.
Victim of the great CoVID Bamboozle of 2020.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

waterlubber wrote:Anyone know about "ideal" calculators? Basically, the most digits (and with a memory, hopefully) that you can cram into a four-function. RSA is...calculationally demanding, to say the least.
I don't do this event but what part of the RSA are you using your calculator most for? It seems like given small primes, it shouldn't be that bad
jimmy-bond
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

On a practice test, I had the question "Encode DREW BREES using the keyword VEAR." It displayed VEAR as a 2x2 matrix, so this is clearly a Hill cipher problem. I tried encrypting it as I would a normal Hill cipher but got a different answer than the answer key. I'm pretty sure I did it wrong, so can someone explain to me how to do this problem and the solution you get? Thanks.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
Anonymous15

Post by Anonymous15 »

Thank you all for your answers to my questions from before!
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

jimmy-bond wrote:On a practice test, I had the question "Encode DREW BREES using the keyword VEAR." It displayed VEAR as a 2x2 matrix, so this is clearly a Hill cipher problem. I tried encrypting it as I would a normal Hill cipher but got a different answer than the answer key. I'm pretty sure I did it wrong, so can someone explain to me how to do this problem and the solution you get? Thanks.
Which way did you write the DREW BREES matrix? With the letters readable horizontally or vertically?
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison

Return to “2019 Lab Events”