Ohio 2019

4Head
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2019

Post by 4Head »

DontWorryAboutIt wrote:Northeastern(Region 1) Ohio Regional Tournament Predictions? :?:
Solon and Mentor qualify for states.

Why do you care about the northeast region? :?:
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
DontWorryAboutIt

Post by DontWorryAboutIt »

4Head wrote:
DontWorryAboutIt wrote:Northeastern(Region 1) Ohio Regional Tournament Predictions? :?:

The reason I care about the northeast region is because its the first of the regional tournaments in Ohio and the only one this weekend.
Why does a person from Kentucky post so frequently on the ohio forums??
Solon '20
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

DontWorryAboutIt wrote:
4Head wrote:

The reason I care about the northeast region is because its the first of the regional tournaments in Ohio and the only one this weekend.
Why does a person from a Michigan post so frequently on the Ohio forums?? :P
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
DontWorryAboutIt

Post by DontWorryAboutIt »

Anomaly wrote:
DontWorryAboutIt wrote:
4Head wrote: Solon and Mentor qualify for states.

Why does a person from a Michigan post so frequently on the Ohio forums?? :P
Because we go to a lot of Ohio Invis, and the Mich forums are pretty dead....
Solon '20
4Head

Post by 4Head »

DontWorryAboutIt wrote:
4Head wrote:

Same reason you do :mrgreen:
EleGiggle
State: OH

Post by EleGiggle »

uictoria1 wrote:On the subject of the race to advance out of Ohio, I've recently seen a lot of conjecture and posturing, but very few organized facts. Here is what we know:

Northview: Both Mason teams beat one Mentor team, which beats both Solon teams, who beat the second Mentor team. This is a hard invitational to read, as all three teams are known to focus on underclassman/new members. Centerville did not attend.

Nothmont: Solon teams sweep 1 and 2 to beat both Mason and both Mentor teams. Mentor goes 3 and 6 vs Mason 4 and 5. This was a strong showing by Solon, with Mentor consistent with their level of strength at Northview. It was a weak performance from Mason, who reportedly brought only underclassman with the intent of debuting their strength at Centerville the following weekend.

Centerville: Solon A beats all three Centerville teams by a wide margin (117 vs 172/184/197), with their second team (193) placing behind Centerville's two stronger teams. Mason unexpectedly did not attend due to weather. The superscores show Solon modestly ahead of Centerville (67 vs 91), which is impressive considering the inherent advantage of superscoring three teams against two. Notably, Centerville handily won their tournament last year (including beating Mason), but took fourth at the state tournament.

Westlake: Centerville and Mason both stacked heavily, going 1 and 2, respectively. Their off teams were all 10 or below. Solon appeared balanced taking 3 and 4. The superscore again shows a tight race: Centerville 108, Mason 120, Solon 125. Again, this is a superscore of three teams for Centerville, which likely gives a modest advantage. Mentor was far behind at 7 and 11.

Solon: Solon stacked heavily taking first, with Mason evenly split taking 3 and 6. Mentor was far behind at 9 and 10. Superscores show a tight race between Solon and Mason: 145 and 139, respectively.

Southview: Solon and Centerville both stacked, with Solon taking 1 and 8 vs Centerville 2, 5, and 7. Centerville wins the superscore 65 to 88; again a superscore of three teams vs two.

Cornell/SOUP: There is no direct comparison possible between Mason and Solon as they were at different tournaments. Mason obviously had an excellent showing at SOUP, although substantially behind Troy. Solon lost to Columbia at Cornell, which was unexpected. However, the Solon captain has posted information calling into question the Sounds of Music and Mission Possible scores at a minimum. If they truly performed better than reported in these two events, this would likely narrow the gap with Columbia and bring their second team into the top eight. They historically have had mixed performances at MIT, before going onto a successful season, so it's unclear how prognostic Cornell will be.

These results clearly show that Mentor is the weakest of the four teams this year. They do not appear to be contenders to advance beyond the State Tournament.

Relative to last year: Solon did marginally worse at Northview, substantially better at Solon and Centerville, and similarly at Westlake and Southview. Centerville performed worse at Centerville (likely due to splitting their teams), substantially better at Westlake, and similarly at Southview. Mason underperformed at Northmont, and did marginally worse at Westlake and Solon, but their SOUP results suggest continued strength.

In summary, I'd conclude that Solon is similar in strength, Mason is marginally weaker, and Centerville is marginally stronger relative to last year. When examining the 2018 State Tournament results, this would suggest they are neck and neck with each other this year. All will be appearing at West Libery-Salem in 10 days, although I've heard mixed reports from more than one of these schools about an unusual tournament schedule and weird attendance conflicts. It's hard to tell how much of this is posturing/hedging vs reality.
At all the Ohio invites, Mason did significantly worse in mechanicals than they did at Penn, which leads one to believe they want to conceal their mechanicals from Ohio teams...

Also judging by placements, it doesn't look at all like Mason stacked heavily at Westlake as their lower team had multiple high placings. This suggests that the race really isn't as close as it seems to be.

Nevertheless, I think we should all wait for West-Liberty Salem results to come out, as it seems like it'll be a very good predictor of state performance given that it's at the end of the season and is the last time Solon, Centerville and Mason will see each other before states.

I'll go out on a limb now and predict Mason's 23 superscore at regionals, too.
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '23
chopchpp

Post by chopchpp »

EleGiggle wrote:
uictoria1 wrote:On the subject of the race to advance out of Ohio, I've recently seen a lot of conjecture and posturing, but very few organized facts. Here is what we know:

Northview: Both Mason teams beat one Mentor team, which beats both Solon teams, who beat the second Mentor team. This is a hard invitational to read, as all three teams are known to focus on underclassman/new members. Centerville did not attend.

Nothmont: Solon teams sweep 1 and 2 to beat both Mason and both Mentor teams. Mentor goes 3 and 6 vs Mason 4 and 5. This was a strong showing by Solon, with Mentor consistent with their level of strength at Northview. It was a weak performance from Mason, who reportedly brought only underclassman with the intent of debuting their strength at Centerville the following weekend.

Centerville: Solon A beats all three Centerville teams by a wide margin (117 vs 172/184/197), with their second team (193) placing behind Centerville's two stronger teams. Mason unexpectedly did not attend due to weather. The superscores show Solon modestly ahead of Centerville (67 vs 91), which is impressive considering the inherent advantage of superscoring three teams against two. Notably, Centerville handily won their tournament last year (including beating Mason), but took fourth at the state tournament.

Westlake: Centerville and Mason both stacked heavily, going 1 and 2, respectively. Their off teams were all 10 or below. Solon appeared balanced taking 3 and 4. The superscore again shows a tight race: Centerville 108, Mason 120, Solon 125. Again, this is a superscore of three teams for Centerville, which likely gives a modest advantage. Mentor was far behind at 7 and 11.

Solon: Solon stacked heavily taking first, with Mason evenly split taking 3 and 6. Mentor was far behind at 9 and 10. Superscores show a tight race between Solon and Mason: 145 and 139, respectively.

Southview: Solon and Centerville both stacked, with Solon taking 1 and 8 vs Centerville 2, 5, and 7. Centerville wins the superscore 65 to 88; again a superscore of three teams vs two.

Cornell/SOUP: There is no direct comparison possible between Mason and Solon as they were at different tournaments. Mason obviously had an excellent showing at SOUP, although substantially behind Troy. Solon lost to Columbia at Cornell, which was unexpected. However, the Solon captain has posted information calling into question the Sounds of Music and Mission Possible scores at a minimum. If they truly performed better than reported in these two events, this would likely narrow the gap with Columbia and bring their second team into the top eight. They historically have had mixed performances at MIT, before going onto a successful season, so it's unclear how prognostic Cornell will be.

These results clearly show that Mentor is the weakest of the four teams this year. They do not appear to be contenders to advance beyond the State Tournament.

Relative to last year: Solon did marginally worse at Northview, substantially better at Solon and Centerville, and similarly at Westlake and Southview. Centerville performed worse at Centerville (likely due to splitting their teams), substantially better at Westlake, and similarly at Southview. Mason underperformed at Northmont, and did marginally worse at Westlake and Solon, but their SOUP results suggest continued strength.

In summary, I'd conclude that Solon is similar in strength, Mason is marginally weaker, and Centerville is marginally stronger relative to last year. When examining the 2018 State Tournament results, this would suggest they are neck and neck with each other this year. All will be appearing at West Libery-Salem in 10 days, although I've heard mixed reports from more than one of these schools about an unusual tournament schedule and weird attendance conflicts. It's hard to tell how much of this is posturing/hedging vs reality.
At all the Ohio invites, Mason did significantly worse in mechanicals than they did at Penn, which leads one to believe they want to conceal their mechanicals from Ohio teams...

Also judging by placements, it doesn't look at all like Mason stacked heavily at Westlake as their lower team had multiple high placings. This suggests that the race really isn't as close as it seems to be.

Nevertheless, I think we should all wait for West-Liberty Salem results to come out, as it seems like it'll be a very good predictor of state performance given that it's at the end of the season and is the last time Solon, Centerville and Mason will see each other before states.

I guess you go to Mason in spirit ;)
EleGiggle

Post by EleGiggle »

chopchpp wrote:
EleGiggle wrote:

I'm a Comet for life :wink: :wink:
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '23
4Head

Post by 4Head »

EleGiggle wrote:
chopchpp wrote:
EleGiggle wrote: At all the Ohio invites, Mason did significantly worse in mechanicals than they did at Penn, which leads one to believe they want to conceal their mechanicals from Ohio teams...

Honestly what kind of a mascot is a comet? Not even an animal lol like ooooooh fear the comet :shock: :shock:
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad

Post by nicholasmaurer »

4Head wrote:
EleGiggle wrote:
chopchpp wrote:
Honestly what kind of a mascot is a comet? Not even an animal lol like ooooooh fear the comet :shock: :shock:
As a proud Solon Comet, I stand in solidarity with Mason on the amazingness of comets as mascots.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”