Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

AwersomeUser wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
AWildMudkip wrote:
For fossils that seemingly don't have a lot of info, use scholar.google.com. For test writing I've found a whole bunch of nice stuff to write about in scholarly articles.
Another great resource (for basically every event tho) is textbooks. I photocopy certain parts of a textbook for fossil and other events. I would focus more on Identification if the event is in a week, so you can at least be confident in picking up easy ID points.
Ok thanks! But Wikipedia is generally reliable, right?
Yes
AwersomeUser wrote:Also, do they test the same stuff in division C? (But they make the test harder?)
From what I've seen, the tests are generally the same, although different test writers will do different things depending on how they judge the capabilities of middle vs high schoolers.
Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kyanite »

AwersomeUser wrote:Also, do they test the same stuff in division C? (But they make the test harder?)
They test the same stuff for the most part, I know for my C tests I make them harder by adding more anatomy, vocabulary words and just sheer number of questions.
fzhan

Post by fzhan »

How do you tell dinosaur teeth apart? I'm having a surprisingly hard time with just dinosaur teeth, particularly the carnivorous dinosaurs.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

fzhan wrote:How do you tell dinosaur teeth apart? I'm having a surprisingly hard time with just dinosaur teeth, particularly the carnivorous dinosaurs.
I haven't had to identify teeth all year. Do you have pictures of each tooth that you can match? I'd first determine if they are carnivorous or herbivorous and go from there (I also am not great at fossils, so I'm not really the one to ask).
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

BennyTheJett wrote:
fzhan wrote:How do you tell dinosaur teeth apart? I'm having a surprisingly hard time with just dinosaur teeth, particularly the carnivorous dinosaurs.
I haven't had to identify teeth all year. Do you have pictures of each tooth that you can match? I'd first determine if they are carnivorous or herbivorous and go from there (I also am not great at fossils, so I'm not really the one to ask).
You just have to stare at them a lot and memorize them: I think they all have distinctive features.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
You just have to stare at them a lot and memorize them: I think they all have distinctive features.
Isn't that every ID event though
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

dxu46 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote: I haven't had to identify teeth all year. Do you have pictures of each tooth that you can match? I'd first determine if they are carnivorous or herbivorous and go from there (I also am not great at fossils, so I'm not really the one to ask).
Isn't that every ID event though
Yes
dchen22

Post by dchen22 »

Does anyone happen to know if Cryptolithus and Phacops/Eldredgeops were natant, conterminent, or impendent (or none of the above)?
Fossils, Circuits, Cell Bio, RemSen
Medals: 7
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

dchen22 wrote:Does anyone happen to know if Cryptolithus and Phacops/Eldredgeops were natant, conterminent, or impendent (or none of the above)?
I would recommend looking at some images.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
wec01
State: VA

Post by wec01 »

Unome wrote:
dchen22 wrote:Does anyone happen to know if Cryptolithus and Phacops/Eldredgeops were natant, conterminent, or impendent (or none of the above)?
I would recommend looking at some images.
I don't know for sure, but I would assume Cryptolithus was natant and Eldredgeops was conterminent. Generally conterminent hypostomes are associated with a predatory lifestyle, and Eldredgeops is thought to be predatory while Cryptolithus is not. I would still look it up though (I probably will too).
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

Return to “2019 Study Events”