I scared people will judge me

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Klikens02
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I scared people will judge me

Post by Klikens02 »

I'm scared when I get to my study event ill fail and my group will judge me or the supervisor or my partner also I'm scared I will screw something up at my lab station :? :cry:
I just want to have fun :cry: :!:
SHASO2018
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I scared people will judge me

Post by SHASO2018 »

Kilkens, the SO community to me is very welcoming. People know when it might be your first time at SO, and they will guide you around. Ask your partners/teammates for help if you don't understand something or get lost! Also I've never seen a supervisor act like a person was stupid in an event. Sometimes, they're just as clueless as you might be. If you want to be really prepared, make sure you understand the rules in each event and prepare your cheat sheets. Remember to have fun. The entire day is supposed to be fun, from setting up to the awards ceremony. If you have any other questions, the forums are great places to ask your questions. Good luck! ;)
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

I'm getting too old for this
DatSciolyBoi
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by DatSciolyBoi »

Honestly, unless your the only one in your team to screw up, no one will care. And EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the team being perfect is nearly impossible. I've been doing Scioly for a few years and have never been judged no matter how many times I screwed up. Have fun!
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets
Birdmusic
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

I got judged by this one person (not the captain) for screwing up hovercraft in states (When our soldering came off) and this was our second year doing the event. So don’t worry, if you put a decent amount of effort into your event, as long as it isn’t purely build (where things break and ESs might misinterpret the rules), it’s very hard to disappoint the team.

Also supervisors are more clueless than you think, unless you’re going to a university invitational.
I like birds.
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

Birdmusic wrote:Also supervisors are more clueless than you think, unless you’re going to a university invitational.
UH! Not true at all! Always assume the ES never competed in your event. Be ready to correct them fiercely and politely. :D
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Birdmusic
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

TheChiScientist wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Also supervisors are more clueless than you think, unless you’re going to a university invitational.
UH! Not true at all! Always assume the ES never competed in your event. Be ready to correct them fiercely and politely. :D
Haha, good point.

Make sure to always have a copy of the rules on hand too, but also have them memorized to some degree for limited note events. (i.e. last year at states crime buster ES didn't tell us how many things in mixtures, when we brought it up they were really surprised because no one in the previous block asked)
I like birds.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

SHASO2018 wrote:Kilkens, the SO community to me is very welcoming. People know when it might be your first time at SO, and they will guide you around. Ask your partners/teammates for help if you don't understand something or get lost! Also I've never seen a supervisor act like a person was stupid in an event. Sometimes, they're just as clueless as you might be. If you want to be really prepared, make sure you understand the rules in each event and prepare your cheat sheets. Remember to have fun. The entire day is supposed to be fun, from setting up to the awards ceremony. If you have any other questions, the forums are great places to ask your questions. Good luck! ;)
Lmao the harvard thermo ES was laughing at our test: "Who's gallagher middle school?"

*i casually raise my hand* "wassup"

*ES gives me a thumbs up, laughing* (he was cool tho)

I still don't know how we medaled in thermo that day...
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

In my experience, whenever I screwed up really badly, I only faced my own judgement. I felt like I had let down my team, and I was really sad but nobody else was upset or mad at me. So I guess it just depends on how you yourself want to walk away from a bad competition or something like that. If anything, my team was really supportive of me, even though I messed up.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
TheChiScientist
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

CookiePie1 wrote:In my experience, whenever I screwed up really badly, I only faced my own judgement. I felt like I had let down my team, and I was really sad but nobody else was upset or mad at me. So I guess it just depends on how you yourself want to walk away from a bad competition or something like that. If anything, my team was really supportive of me, even though I messed up.
Lol sooo true. I remember last year at IL states I thought I really dropped the ball in thermo and let down my partner... Little did I know it actually didn't matter as much as most other people made the same mistake. We went on to get 1st. :D Our team tends to mess around with each other and when someone does badly we tell them they are a failure and you're off the team but we say it so jokingly that they know we are messing with them. :lol: It really just serves the purpose of making everyone feel better cuz what u gonna do about it? Everyone will have their "oh pigeon me" moment in SciOly. What matters is what you do about it. ;)
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
jimmy-bond
State: OH

Post by jimmy-bond »

By my second year of SciOly, I realized that the easiest way to overcome anxiety is to not care too much. I always print out my notes in the middle of the week when there's a competition that weekend and, the night before, I get in around 5 hours of gaming and 8 hours of sleep. This method has worked for me greatly, but I do not recommend it for everyone. But yeah, SciOly is meant to be a fun experience and you can't really enjoy it when you're bound by expectations set by yourself and those around you.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

Return to “General Competition”