Dropping Sand

donutsandcupcakes
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: November 24th, 2018, 6:18 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Dropping Sand

Post by donutsandcupcakes » March 1st, 2019, 8:17 am

At what speed should we pour sand. Fast, Medium, or Slow?
Basically, should we open the "thing" all the way or keep near the medium opening?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4253
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Dropping Sand

Post by Unome » March 1st, 2019, 9:12 am

Start slow to prevent excess force from the initial impact, and make your way up to full speed as quickly as you can without causing unnecessary stress.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Posts: 561
Joined: February 6th, 2006, 2:20 pm
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Dropping Sand

Post by dholdgreve » March 1st, 2019, 10:14 am

Yes...^^^^^ What he said... Start slow, then gradually increase over the next 10 to 20 seconds to wide open. The key is to NOT MOVE THE BUCKET! Every year, I see kids pushing the bucket one way then the other in an effort to "load the bucket evenly." This is the absolute worst thing that you can do, as it causes a shift in the loading of the boom... Do not do that!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Carrot
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: January 8th, 2018, 8:16 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dropping Sand

Post by Carrot » March 1st, 2019, 11:43 am

I know that people always do slow to fast but I feel like there is more of an advantage to stay slow or go from slow to fast back to slow. Isn't it more advantageous to not go too fast as I think it would be similar to dropping a cup of sand at once vs just a few grains at a time? Dropping less sand at once would probably result in a lower impact force (I think... I'm not very good at physics stuff). In return, the boomilever would have to hold the load for a longer period as time.

This is just my view over sand loading, as I tried handloading at SOUP and somehow got a higher efficiency than in the past, and is why I prefer cup loading over auto-loaders and using up as close to the 6 min limit as I can too fully test my boomilever.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 760
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 45 times
Contact:

Re: Dropping Sand

Post by MadCow2357 » March 1st, 2019, 11:58 am

Carrot wrote:I know that people always do slow to fast but I feel like there is more of an advantage to stay slow or go from slow to fast back to slow. Isn't it more advantageous to not go too fast as I think it would be similar to dropping a cup of sand at once vs just a few grains at a time? Dropping less sand at once would probably result in a lower impact force (I think... I'm not very good at physics stuff). In return, the boomilever would have to hold the load for a longer period as time.

This is just my view over sand loading, as I tried handloading at SOUP and somehow got a higher efficiency than in the past, and is why I prefer cup loading over auto-loaders and using up as close to the 6 min limit as I can too fully test my boomilever.
This is true, the impact force is higher when you have the auto loader wide open. However, the longer the boomilever has to take the stress, the more likely it is to break.

I hand load as well, since I don't have an autoloader. I've found that my hand loading scores are usually a bit higher than the scores I get at competitions using autoloaders.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

jinhusong
Member
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: March 16th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Santa Clara
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Dropping Sand

Post by jinhusong » March 1st, 2019, 2:06 pm

If possible, timing it. If no time limit, just go as slow as possible.

Best is constant speed in about 6 minutes and to the load your boomilever can hold.

Jinhu

dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Posts: 561
Joined: February 6th, 2006, 2:20 pm
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Dropping Sand

Post by dholdgreve » March 4th, 2019, 6:08 am

MadCow2357 wrote:
Carrot wrote:I know that people always do slow to fast but I feel like there is more of an advantage to stay slow or go from slow to fast back to slow. Isn't it more advantageous to not go too fast as I think it would be similar to dropping a cup of sand at once vs just a few grains at a time? Dropping less sand at once would probably result in a lower impact force (I think... I'm not very good at physics stuff). In return, the boomilever would have to hold the load for a longer period as time.

This is just my view over sand loading, as I tried handloading at SOUP and somehow got a higher efficiency than in the past, and is why I prefer cup loading over auto-loaders and using up as close to the 6 min limit as I can too fully test my boomilever.
This is true, the impact force is higher when you have the auto loader wide open. However, the longer the boomilever has to take the stress, the more likely it is to break.

I hand load as well, since I don't have an autoloader. I've found that my hand loading scores are usually a bit higher than the scores I get at competitions using autoloaders.
Of course everyone is welcome to their opinion... Mine is that the average boom will score about 200 points higher with an auto loader than hand loading. There are a number of factors that impact this opinion: The chances of inadvertently bumping the bail of the bucket causing catastrophic failure is much higher hand loading than auto loading. Hand loading generally takes substantially longer than auto loading. Hand loading is a series of dynamic "thumps" unless you go really slow, in which case refer to point 2.

Personally, I believe the correct route is to start slowly, build to fast delivery, then back off for the last 2 to 3 KG. but again I stress, KEEP THE CHAIN VERTICAL AND THE BUCKET STILL.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

User avatar
klastyioer
Member
Member
Posts: 425
Joined: April 22nd, 2018, 4:46 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: somewhere on planet earth
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Dropping Sand

Post by klastyioer » March 7th, 2019, 4:11 pm

go slow and keep the sand pouring in the bucket. inform your partner if the bucket is tilted, always keep it level and still
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

Carrot
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: January 8th, 2018, 8:16 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dropping Sand

Post by Carrot » March 7th, 2019, 6:07 pm

klastyioer wrote:go slow and keep the sand pouring in the bucket. inform your partner if the bucket is tilted, always keep it level and still
I don't believe that a tilting bucket would affect anything as the center of mass is still in line with the chain and it is loading only from one point.

User avatar
klastyioer
Member
Member
Posts: 425
Joined: April 22nd, 2018, 4:46 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: somewhere on planet earth
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Dropping Sand

Post by klastyioer » March 7th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Carrot wrote:
klastyioer wrote:go slow and keep the sand pouring in the bucket. inform your partner if the bucket is tilted, always keep it level and still
I don't believe that a tilting bucket would affect anything as the center of mass is still in line with the chain and it is loading only from one point.
its still important to keep the bucket str8 relative to the ground though, if it is tilted then the sand may tilt in the downwards direction of the bucket, later offsetting the weight distribution of the entire thing. you always want to keep things as level as possible
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

Locked

Return to “Boomilever B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest