Poorly Run Event Stories

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
SHASO2018
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Poorly Run Event Stories

Post by SHASO2018 »

So today was our Regionals and each event that I was in had something interesting. :l

Forensics (1st): This one went mostly okay. They gave us everything needed, but there was one bunsen burner, so that was fun.

Sounds of Music (Idk yet but pretty bad): My room number changed twice during the day, once before impound and once before competition.

Dynamic Planet (1st): 80% of the test was one that I found online. Super convenient, but also sad because it wasn't challenging.

Also they SKIPPED FOSSILS ALTOGETHER IN THE AWARDS CEREMONY so each medal placings were pushed back an event after that, so they had have everyone with an event after fossils give back their medals and redo that portion. But unlike most SO regionals, we actually started somewhat on time so we weren't there for long
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

I'm getting too old for this
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

Couple years ago I had a rocks test that the person who was supposed to write the test couldn't make it, so the people at the competition had parents run the event, and printed all the images out in BLACK AND WHITE (For an ID Event!). The answer sheet was also missing half the answers, so there was no organization there either.... Lastly it was a test off the internet, so THREE teams had 100 percent, since they had the whole test in their binder.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

BennyTheJett wrote:Couple years ago I had a rocks test that the person who was supposed to write the test couldn't make it, so the people at the competition had parents run the event, and printed all the images out in BLACK AND WHITE (For an ID Event!). The answer sheet was also missing half the answers, so there was no organization there either.... Lastly it was a test off the internet, so THREE teams had 100 percent, since they had the whole test in their binder.
are you from NJ?
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

whythelongface wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:Couple years ago I had a rocks test that the person who was supposed to write the test couldn't make it, so the people at the competition had parents run the event, and printed all the images out in BLACK AND WHITE (For an ID Event!). The answer sheet was also missing half the answers, so there was no organization there either.... Lastly it was a test off the internet, so THREE teams had 100 percent, since they had the whole test in their binder.
are you from NJ?
Nah.

LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

For Battery Buggy during Regionals on Saturday, they did it in a narrow hallway, not in a gym, and half the Battery Buggies curved too wide and ran into the wall so they threw that out
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

LittleMissNyan wrote:For Battery Buggy during Regionals on Saturday, they did it in a narrow hallway, not in a gym, and half the Battery Buggies curved too wide and ran into the wall so they threw that out
When they don't turn off the gym fans in Wright Stuff..... :evil:

BenW
State: IL

Post by BenW »

Well at my first invitational they were using last year's rules for thermo. We somehow got second.
2014-15 first year, then 2018-2023 was my divC years.
I feel old now.
BenW
State: IL

Post by BenW »

CPScienceDude wrote:
smayya337 wrote:Thermo at Cornell today was not the epitome of organization. Overwhelmed by the long line outside their door at impound, the volunteers stopped measuring devices to make sure they fit the regulations and instead opted to simply ask everyone, "Does your box follow the rules?" At the actual event, they didn't keep track of when each team started their device testing (how?!), and our event was interrupted multiple times by people coming in, including a coach who had come to impound his team's device and a team that didn't know about impound. (I actually feel bad for that last one, it was super humiliating...) Maybe I'm pampered since the ES at practically all of my tournaments is the national Thermo ES, but compared to all the Virginia tournaments I've been to, Thermo at Cornell was a mess.
Yeah, thermo is generally a mess, lol.
Can confirm.
2014-15 first year, then 2018-2023 was my divC years.
I feel old now.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

From regionals (Awards havent happened yet)

WIDI - there was only one model for 6 writers, plus there were only 4 things to write. Also apparently for builders all the materials required were in one bag, without extras.

Geomaps - There were 8 questions, only a bit of plate tectonics and a bit of maps...

Experimental Design - There was no midway break, plus the rubric they used was the incorrect rubric (the one on the official rules). Oh and they provided rubrics to teams...
krasabnk
State: NC

Post by krasabnk »

Regionals in Durham, NC yesterday...

Circuit Lab - Went in not expecting to do well... after 3 rotations of stations, some tables were missing LEDs and resistors for the breadboard hands-on activity. One activity required materials that had to be attached to peoples arms. Because each person used two of those materials at every rotation, some kids had to put on materials already touched and put on by other students. :-?

Herpetology - We were placed in a classroom with tables in rows with nice, large black leather seats. Those seats took up more space than regular seats at a school table. Anyways, the long table in the back had about 7-8 stations on it, so kids were crowded shoulder-to-shoulder to answer questions at their station. I had to reach over my partner's shoulder to write on our answer sheet. Furthermore, at one station there was a kid who flipped their binder over the laminated question sheet so another team could not even find or read what they needed to answer.
DaVinci's Dragons 2019, NCSU '23
[b]2019: [/b]
regionals/states
 <3 Herpetology: 1/3
 :evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
 :?: Experimental Design -/19

[b]2018: [/b]
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
 :?: Disease Detectives: 4/19

Return to “General Competition”