banilmd
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Freedom Flight Torque Meter

Post by banilmd »

Hello all,
After using the freedom flight torque meter for some time now, I am noticing that it has started to not work as well. Without any rubber the meter isnt at 0 and when we are winding with the rubber on it it doesn't seem to move much regardless of how many turns we put onto the motor. Due to this we are not able to get torque readings that we can compare between flights. Is there any way to calibrate the meter or anything I could do to get it back into working shape? Also, we have been measuring the torque of the motor after we finish winding right before we take it off to put it on the plane. Is this the correct place to measure the torque?

Thank you all
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Re: Freedom Flight Torque Meter

Post by coachchuckaahs »

banilmd wrote:Hello all,
After using the freedom flight torque meter for some time now, I am noticing that it has started to not work as well. Without any rubber the meter isnt at 0 and when we are winding with the rubber on it it doesn't seem to move much regardless of how many turns we put onto the motor. Due to this we are not able to get torque readings that we can compare between flights. Is there any way to calibrate the meter or anything I could do to get it back into working shape? Also, we have been measuring the torque of the motor after we finish winding right before we take it off to put it on the plane. Is this the correct place to measure the torque?

Thank you all
I would look for something binding. While I do not have this meter, it is fairly simple. If the wire is binding in the front pivot, it will impact the ability to read properly. Perhaps a drop of oil is needed, or perhaps something is bent. If you can disassemble, you could try to bore out the pivot hole slightly.

You want to read torque during the entire winding process. It can help determine when to walk in (from full stretch), how fast to walk in (maintain constant torque until at least halfway in), and when to stop winding (max torque). Then Unwind using the torque meter to know when you are at ideal launch torque.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
banilmd
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by banilmd »

coachchuckaahs wrote:
banilmd wrote:Hello all,

Thank you all
I would look for something binding. While I do not have this meter, it is fairly simple. If the wire is binding in the front pivot, it will impact the ability to read properly. Perhaps a drop of oil is needed, or perhaps something is bent. If you can disassemble, you could try to bore out the pivot hole slightly.

You want to read torque during the entire winding process. It can help determine when to walk in (from full stretch), how fast to walk in (maintain constant torque until at least halfway in), and when to stop winding (max torque). Then Unwind using the torque meter to know when you are at ideal launch torque.

Coach Chuck
Thank you, so I should check to make sure the wire is straight and to make sure there is nothing rubbing against the wire as it should be moving freely? Is there anything I could adjust it to stay at 0 when there is no motor attached? Thank you once again Coach Chuck for your assistance.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

It should be a simple wire that twists, with a pointer attached is bent on the rubber end. I again done have one. Is that a way to rotate the dial of numbers? Or to rotate the anchor at the other end? If not, then I suppose you could use two pliers to slightly twist the wrote to re-zero it.

Ed get add binding, I would mainly look where the wire pass through the dial.

Also look for loose parts

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
torqueburner
State: PA

Post by torqueburner »

I agree with Coach Chuck on all points. One thing that we do, that helps to reduce wear and tear on the torque meter, is to make a short "dummy stick". This is a very short version of the stick that is used to fly with partial motors. It is made from a piece of balsa approximately 3/4X3/8X1/8" thick, has a piece of music wire bent so that there is a hook on one end of the stick, a loop on the other. This is glued to the balsa and wrapped with thread. The motor goes on the hook, then the loop end is placed on the torque meter. The wire loop doesn't get all twisted up on the meter's hook like the motor or o-ring would, and is much easier to remove without putting as much stress on the torque meter.

Dr. D
coachchuckaahs wrote:It should be a simple wire that twists, with a pointer attached is bent on the rubber end. I again done have one. Is that a way to rotate the dial of numbers? Or to rotate the anchor at the other end? If not, then I suppose you could use two pliers to slightly twist the wrote to re-zero it.

Coach Chuck
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

torqueburner wrote:I agree with Coach Chuck on all points. One thing that we do, that helps to reduce wear and tear on the torque meter, is to make a short "dummy stick". This is a very short version of the stick that is used to fly with partial motors. It is made from a piece of balsa approximately 3/4X3/8X1/8" thick, has a piece of music wire bent so that there is a hook on one end of the stick, a loop on the other. This is glued to the balsa and wrapped with thread. The motor goes on the hook, then the loop end is placed on the torque meter. The wire loop doesn't get all twisted up on the meter's hook like the motor or o-ring would, and is much easier to remove without putting as much stress on the torque meter.

Dr. D
coachchuckaahs wrote:It should be a simple wire that twists, with a pointer attached is bent on the rubber end. I again done have one. Is that a way to rotate the dial of numbers? Or to rotate the anchor at the other end? If not, then I suppose you could use two pliers to slightly twist the wrote to re-zero it.

Coach Chuck
I noticed your name is torque burner, do you happen know how to properly execute torque burners?
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Torque burners seem a little risky; :shock: not worth the risk imo.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:Torque burners seem a little risky; :shock: not worth the risk imo.
I mean if it's the difference between varsity and jv I'd say it is
klastyioer
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:Torque burners seem a little risky; :shock: not worth the risk imo.
haha ha.......
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
klastyioer
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

i honestly didnt read any of the replies above lol sry im rly tired rn i usually sleep earlier than this
buttt
something to fix the not at 0 thing thats rly easy
i noticed if you just move the wiring left or right along the screw its held onto, it should reset it to 0
if not, read what these experts have to say cause im trashy at ws and thats the only way ik how to fix the torque meter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(if you cant tell im v v tired heh sry)
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

Return to “Wright Stuff C”