Game On B

mmeytin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Game On B

Post by mmeytin »

LittleMissNyan wrote:Would I get in trouble if I posted a link to the games from MD Regionals? They are shared publicly on Scratch.
Since they are shared publicly, I don't think it'll be a problem if you posted the link. It will be helpful to all team as they prepare for their tournaments. I for one would love to see games that have been created.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

mmeytin wrote:
LittleMissNyan wrote:Would I get in trouble if I posted a link to the games from MD Regionals? They are shared publicly on Scratch.
Since they are shared publicly, I don't think it'll be a problem if you posted the link. It will be helpful to all team as they prepare for their tournaments. I for one would love to see games that have been created.
Well here they are then! Each class member is a team, and the ones that start with Team CodeNinjas are the trial teams since they did it for a trial also.
Also the theme for the actual event was Water Cycle but I don't know about the trial
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
trdd

Post by trdd »

LittleMissNyan wrote:
mmeytin wrote:
Well here they are then! Each class member is a team, and the ones that start with Team CodeNinjas are the trial teams since they did it for a trial also.
Also the theme for the actual event was Water Cycle but I don't know about the trial
Who was the winning team?
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by LittleMissNyan »

trdd wrote:
LittleMissNyan wrote:
mmeytin wrote: Since they are shared publicly, I don't think it'll be a problem if you posted the link. It will be helpful to all team as they prepare for their tournaments. I for one would love to see games that have been created.
Who was the winning team?
I ddddddddon't exactly remember who got what in the leagues since there were 2 different leagues but Lake Elkhorn, Urbana A, North Bethesda A, Urbana B, and Oakdale got top 5 overall
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
sciolynewcomer

Post by sciolynewcomer »

Hi, how does one provide suggestions to the judging process? I had the following specific comments:

- While judging, the team names (schools) should be masked. The judges should not know who they are scoring. This is good practice in any competition to increase objectivity. Not at all suggesting there is explicit bias anywhere but its just the right thing to do.

- I've observed different judges rank different teams for the same session. I don't know if there is normalization done at the end, but if there isn't, ideally a single judge should be involved in all score sheets to ensure scoring is distributed using the same interpretation of rubrics as well as the same scoring points. This is because several of the rubrics are open to subjectivity. For example - "Is a game title present?" - one judge can be given points to this if a team added a name for the scratch project, whilst another can have points taken away for this same rubric because they did not add an explicit title in the Intro screen. Neither interpretation is wrong, but if interpretations are different for the same session, then it is unfair to the kids competing. This also holds true for the very subjective rubrics like "quality of backgrounds". One judge may give a 2 and another a 4 for the same background.

Thanks
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

sciolynewcomer wrote:Hi, how does one provide suggestions to the judging process? I had the following specific comments:

- While judging, the team names (schools) should be masked. The judges should not know who they are scoring. This is good practice in any competition to increase objectivity. Not at all suggesting there is explicit bias anywhere but its just the right thing to do.

- I've observed different judges rank different teams for the same session. I don't know if there is normalization done at the end, but if there isn't, ideally a single judge should be involved in all score sheets to ensure scoring is distributed using the same interpretation of rubrics as well as the same scoring points. This is because several of the rubrics are open to subjectivity. For example - "Is a game title present?" - one judge can be given points to this if a team added a name for the scratch project, whilst another can have points taken away for this same rubric because they did not add an explicit title in the Intro screen. Neither interpretation is wrong, but if interpretations are different for the same session, then it is unfair to the kids competing. This also holds true for the very subjective rubrics like "quality of backgrounds". One judge may give a 2 and another a 4 for the same background.

Thanks

This might be a stupid suggestion, but you can just tell your coach to email the head coordinator that there should be a certain set of rules for judges in Game On.
Frost0125
Division: C
State: NC

Post by Frost0125 »

Hello,

Nationals will be my first time competing in Game On, as I come from NC where they run Amazing Mechatronics instead of Game On. Does anybody have any tips or things to know for Game On? Or any good resources?
Thanks!
2020/2021 Events: Chem Lab, Codebusters, Experimental Design, Fast Facts
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Frost0125 wrote:Hello,

Nationals will be my first time competing in Game On, as I come from NC where they run Amazing Mechatronics instead of Game On. Does anybody have any tips or things to know for Game On? Or any good resources?
Thanks!
Learn the rubric. Live by the rubric, die by the rubric. If you don't tick the boxes, you won't get the points.

Learn, by heart, your implementation of player sprite controls, non-player sprites that respond to player movement etc. You don't have time in the event to think about how to make something work.

Make one partner responsible for cranking out the basic game structure while the other partner figures out how to wrap the scientific theme around it.
newt
Division: B
State: PA

Post by newt »

knightmoves wrote:
Frost0125 wrote:Hello,

Thanks!
Learn the rubric. Live by the rubric, die by the rubric. If you don't tick the boxes, you won't get the points.

Learn, by heart, your implementation of player sprite controls, non-player sprites that respond to player movement etc. You don't have time in the event to think about how to make something work.

Make one partner responsible for cranking out the basic game structure while the other partner figures out how to wrap the scientific theme around it.
Something that really helped me was practicing making games on Scratch with different scientific themes that I would ask other people to give me. Again, refer to the rubric so you know which areas can earn you points! There are a bunch of YouTube videos that can teach you how to code things if you ever have trouble figuring certain things out. Overall, I also believe it's also important to understand why the code works so that in case you run into problems at competition, you can work your way through problem-solving. Good luck at nationals! :)
2019 Placements:
Rustin/Garnet Valley/Regionals/States
Herp: 3/3/1/2
Meteorology: 5/12/1/2
Game On: 5/8/1/3
Rollercoaster: 15/3/3/8
bala cynwyd ms 17 -19
:arrow: lower merion hs
Frost0125
Division: C
State: NC

Post by Frost0125 »

Thanks you! These are really helpful. :)
2020/2021 Events: Chem Lab, Codebusters, Experimental Design, Fast Facts

Return to “2019 Lab Events”