Pennsylvania 2019

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Pennsylvania 2019

Post by Unome »

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
Unome wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: Alright, cool, thanks. Was mainly wondering about the overall scores, so I'll keep an eye out for those so I can add links to them from the wiki pages. Keeping event scores password-protected makes sense, IMO. Especially since sharing event scores with the state's own teams is fairly unusual in a national context, I'm happy PA is doing it.
I'm not sure how posting raw scores could possibly disadvantage teams, although imo better that it's shared but kept in-state than not shared at all.
Let's us Boomilever as an example. Now by mid-March every PA team will know how good the best teams in Boomilever are scoring. Now this can give them target to aim for and get better. If you went to Regionals and won with a X before you might think you are set up well and maybe getting to X+100 would be great for States. But now knowing that other Regionals have scored 2*X makes you realize you have your work cut out for you. I think this is a really good thing. It also makes the top team(s) not be complacent with a good score because they know that other people are aiming for that or better. I would love to see a day when all states release raw scores so that all have something to aim for to get better at. But I don't see why PA teams should give that advantage away to other States that don't do the same. I have been around long enough to be luck enough to see some amazing builds. I remember the Robot Arm that could reach the ceiling (literally) and I remember the MagLev vehicle that was over 5kg. If you knew about the scores these devices were getting beforehand it might have really changed how you approached the problem. Scioly.org has a history of some competitors being very open from day one with their ideas and others being open after it no longer matters. I understand it from both sides but I don't want to be unfair to those that are more private.

In PA at Regionals we already see from some teams a certain level of gamesmanship with teams not playing their best builds for fear of it giving the other teams ideas who will be their competition at States. Thus teams risk a worse score and possibly qualifying just to keep things secret until States. I would hate to see a State competition done the same way just because a team does not want a national competitor from another state to know what they have.

Certainly this kind of argument does not matter so much for an event like A&P. Knowing someone got 80 pts tells you nothing about how much it was out of or how hard the test was. Also while PA Regionals are all using the same tests not every region is scoring the same way. I know I was consistent in the tests I graded Saturday but I can't be sure that all of the other regions will grade it the same.
I wouldn't really call that an advantage. It's just a source of motivation, and in particular I'd say it's a very minor source of motivation - seeing as most people who are trying to be competitive in a build at Nationals would generally have an idea of how the top scores are regardless (as my high school's builders were).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
roadscholar11
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by roadscholar11 »

So I do have the total scores from SE PA in terms of points for people to find out and the Wiki. Please delete this post if this is disclosing too much information, but I think total scores should be fine:

1. LM 63
2. Harriton 72
3. Rustin 101
4. Penncrest 136
5. Conestoga 147
6. Garnet Valley 189
7. North Penn 210
8. Shipley 231
9. Upper Dublin 251
10. Strath Haven 267
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

roadscholar11 wrote:So I do have the total scores from SE PA in terms of points for people to find out and the Wiki. Please delete this post if this is disclosing too much information, but I think total scores should be fine:

1. LM 63
2. Harriton 72
3. Rustin 101
4. Penncrest 136
5. Conestoga 147
6. Garnet Valley 189
7. North Penn 210
8. Shipley 231
9. Upper Dublin 251
10. Strath Haven 267
I'm expecting total scores are fine as well. If this week goes by and no "official" scores have been posted online, I think we can just use the scoresheet sent to coaches to upload to the wiki.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Sc1olygod

Post by Sc1olygod »

Central Region Division C
1. Cumberland Valley 61
2. State College 135
3. Red Land 157
4. Manheim Central 170
5. Hershey 172
6. Elizabethtown Area 225
"who's littywap?"
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Central region has only posted the top 10 teams on their website: https://blogs.millersville.edu/muscioly ... r-results/

It feels like there's been a miscommunication somewhere, where people are reluctant to publish overall scores even though it's the event raw scores that are the ones that require the password protection. Maybe pascioly.org can have a second link that's open to the public that just has the overall scores for each region.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

Any results from Northwestern Regional today?
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
alip26
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by alip26 »

Good luck to anyone in Northeast/Southwest today
2019-2020 Events:
Boomilever, Chem Lab, Ornithology
Paypog

Post by Paypog »

OOF. Good luck at regionals today peeps
2018 Events: Anatomy (Big oof), Ecology (Mild oof), Experimental Design( :D :D ), Herpetology (Mild oof)
2019 Events: Anatomy (oof), Experimental Design (oof), Herpetology (oof), Circuit Lab (oof)
2020 Events: Anatomy, Ornithology, Ping-Pong Parachute
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

Good luck everyone at regionals today!
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

Oops this is late but good luck to everyone today!
I sorta wish our regionals were this week too so that I could get it done and over with, but like nooo we have to be a week later than everyone else >:(
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”