Unome wrote:More regionals results,

Gordon State College C:
1. Whitewater (55)
2. Northgate (67)
3. East Coweta (122)

4. Our Lady of Mercy (125)
5. Sandy Creek (131)
Scoresheet
It's quite impressive that Whitewater was able to beat Northgate, since the latter doesn't look any weaker than in the past. Whitewater looks quite strong, with 10 gold medals to Northgate's 5, which bodes well for state. East Coweta scraped by ahead of two teams that I barely know of and haven't qualified for state in at least several years, so I don't think they'll be a threat at state.

South Georgia State College B:
1. Thomas County (34)
2. Wilcox County (43)
3. Clifton Ridge (98)
4. Valwood (117)
Scoresheet
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what am I supposed to say? There's only four teams at this regional, not much to comment on given that the winning team finished third to last at state last year.

Based on the pattern of bids, I'm pretty sure that Div C state is going to be either 27 or 30 teams.
Was Valwood DQed from Mystery and Game On?
That's what it looks like. I don't know anything about what happened at the tournament though.
TFW when you only compete in 2 events and they're both DQed
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Georgia 2019

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I feel like it's more likely that they're mistakenly-marked no-shows. It would certainly be unusual if they only competed in two events, and managed to get disqualified (which is in itself pretty rare) in both.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I should probably post predictions for today's regionals,

Coweta County B:
1. Rising Starr - I'm not certain if they're quite as strong as last year, but if so they shouldn't have a problem winning this regional.
2. East Cobb - Recently qualified for state a few times, and generally near the top of their (mid-competitive) regionals. I expect another qualification.
3. Flat Rock - They've been slipping recently so my predictions past 2nd are pretty tenuous, but I think they can manage.
4. Hightower Trail - They were top 10 at state for two years before losing a bid at Forsyth County last year. I don't think they're as good as they used to be, but I'll still put them here.

Georgia State University B:
1. Dodgen - Will almost certainly take 1st and 2nd place overall. No one here is a serious threat.
2. Campbell - Perennially strong team that finished 8th at state last year, and beat out the teams below them at regionals by a comfortable margin last year.
3. Coleman - Qualified for state last year.
4. Radloff - Also qualified for state last year... although they placed dead last.
5. McClure - I'm basically guessing now. I remember hearing their name somewhere?

Northeast Georgia B:
1. Vickery Creek - While not as good as they were at their peak in 2016 and 2017, still appear to be a pretty strong team in a regional without many teams that can challenge them significantly.
2. Simpson - Has done quite well at invitationals this year if I remember correctly, and finished mid-pack at state last year. That said, I'd consider 2nd through 5th to be rather tight here.
3. Henderson - I'll go out of the way a little and pick a newer team that first qualified for state last year, and has also started attending invitationals this year.
4. Malcom Bridge - The best state performance of any of the teams here last year, besides Vickery Creek.
5. Oconee County - Has fallen pretty far since their 4th at state in 2016. It should be interesting to see how they do.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Regionals results,

Coweta County B:
1. Rising Starr (87)
2. Hightower Trail (101)

3. Rising Starr (134)
4. East Cobb (144)
5. East Cobb (151)
6. St. John the Evangelist (190)
7. Flint River (192)
Scoresheet
Rising Starr does very well again, alongside a strong performance from East Cobb - not sure why they would split given the area is somewhat competitive... Hightower Trail also qualified handily, so that should be interesting at state.

Georgia State University B:
1. Dodgen (36)
2. Campbell (135)

3. Dodgen (141)
4. DNA (144)
5. ILM Academy (155)
6. Coleman (159)

7. McClure (190)
Scoresheet
Dodgen is far ahead as expected, with the remaining state qualifiers in a very tight clump. Radloff no-showed, but I guess my prediction on McClure was ok (though they were pretty far from qualifying).

Northeast Georgia B:
1. Vickery Creek (83)
2. Oconee County (106)
3. Henderson (124)

4. Vickery Creek (131)
5. Malcom Bridge (140)
6. Simpson (145)
7. South Effingham (208)
Scoresheet
Nothing particularly out of the ordinary here. Vickery Creek doesn't look like they're in any position to finish higher than 5th at state. Oconee County might be able to reverse their declining trend at state as well, that should be interesting. I don't expect a peak performance from them either.

Kennesaw State-SPSU results are still pending, although the qualifying teams are on the state website.

Predictions for GPC regional tomorrow:
1. McIntosh - Should be able to win handily, seeing as they've been hovering in the lower half of the top 10 at state for quite a while despite never attending invitationals.
2. Alpharetta - Continues to qualify for state regularly, they'll probably do so again.
3. Wheeler - Also a fixture at the state tournament, for quite a bit longer than Alpharetta. I don't think they can take second though, since they're generally toward the lower end at state while Alpharetta tends to finish mid-pack.
4. Eagles Home Educators - They were good recently, I think. Qualified for state a few years ago, and only lost by a few points to Forsyth Central last year.

I'll have a Div B State Predictions link up sometime later today.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Alright, took me a while but I finally got to it:

Div B State Prediction Contest Poll

Closes next Friday at 7 PM. I'll put up the Div C link sometime in the middle of next week.

I'll post the poll results occasionally, with results normalized on a 100-point scale for easy comparison.

Poll rules
  • Entries that include one team twice will still be included it the running, but the second inclusion of the duplicated team will be replaced by the nearest team alphabetically that wasn't picked.
  • Entries that include one team thrice or more will be deleted
  • Entries that deviate wildly from the norm will be deemed as troll entries and deleted. (if yours is this, it should be obvious)
  • If two entries are submitted under one username, I will use the second one and delete the first. Feel free to submit a second entry if you weren't pleased with your first!
  • Note - the team list for Div B state includes 31 teams, with one of them being a team not marked as qualified on the scoresheet. I would assume this means one of these teams declined their bid. Not certain who it is, although last year Richmond Hill and South Effingham declined their bids.
Scoring:
5 points if the school you picked places exactly where you picked them to place, 4 points for one off, 3 points for two off, etc. through 1 point for five off.

Also, for those of you who are new to predictions or don't know where to start, check out regional results and past state scoresheets.

I have my own predictions already decided, but will hold off on posting them until after the poll closes so as not to influence anyone too much :P
Userpage

Unome

Post by Unome »

Current predictions summary for Div B State (6 submissions so far):

1. Dodgen - 95.0
2. Fulton Science Academy - 91.7
3. Taylor Road - 73.3
4. South Forsyth - 71.7
5. Vickery Creek - 50.0
6. McCleskey - 43.3
7. River Trail - 36.7
8. Five Forks - 31.7
9. Campbell - 15.0
10. Chamblee - 10.0
Other teams receiving predictions: A.C. Crews (8.3), Rising Starr (6.7), J.C. Booth (5.0), Blackmon Road (3.3), Hightower Trail (3.3), Oconee County (3.3), Malcom Bridge (1.7).
Userpage

anagene

Georgia 2019 State Tournaments

Post by anagene »

The next two weekends are going to be busy in Georgia which goes right into State Tournaments after 6 consecutive weeks of 17 Regional tournaments. Each division has 30 teams this year, which is exciting to our teams!
Prediction contest has just 6 entries? @Samlan - where are you??!
He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.
Galahad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

What happened to Dodgen? Did they even compete at regionals?
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

Galahad wrote:What happened to Dodgen? Did they even compete at regionals?
???? Dodgen won the Georgia State University Regional. 36 pts.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Unome

Post by Unome »

GPC Clarkston C:
1. McIntosh (98)
2. Wheeler (119)
3. Alpharetta (154)

4. McIntosh (157)
5. Chamblee Charter (184)
6. Ola (189)
7. Decatur (192)
8. Pope (195)
9. Effingham CCA (203)
10. Hillgrove (209)
Scoresheet
I'd say this is a slightly weaker performance by McIntosh and a slightly stronger performance by Wheeler. The competition for that last state bid was very tight, with a lot of teams in a small range of points.
Userpage

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”