Battery Buggy B

LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by LittleMissNyan »

So our Science Olympiad team only meets once a week for like 1 hour, and that's not really optimal for testing the Battery Buggy. Where else could I test the Battery Buggy outside of school?
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

LittleMissNyan wrote:So our Science Olympiad team only meets once a week for like 1 hour, and that's not really optimal for testing the Battery Buggy. Where else could I test the Battery Buggy outside of school?
You may be able to find a grocery store (or any business with lots of hard smooth floor space) that would let some students practice in a low-traffic place and time. It could be worth asking a manager. Also, a lot of schools/churches have evening sports programs in a gym, so the building is open but halls are free.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
waffletree
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by waffletree »

LittleMissNyan wrote:So our Science Olympiad team only meets once a week for like 1 hour, and that's not really optimal for testing the Battery Buggy. Where else could I test the Battery Buggy outside of school?
You could also try to find time at school, besides the 1 hour your team meets. Like before school, and you could probably stay after school too, if your school offers late busses to students and test in hallways or the school gym.
If you live near a YMCA, they probably have some open yoga studios or something at night. (I didn't need a membership to get in when I told them I needed to test something to prepare for a science olympiad competition in the yoga studio)
I've been testing in a room that's kinda like a dance studio in the back of a gym, and no one uses it after like 8:00. (I already had a membership to the gym)
builder cult vp // #treegang
Kai0721
State: WI

Post by Kai0721 »

So to measure the angle of my buggy I use this sheet of paper with the angles on it and place it behind the start point. The rules say sighting and alignment devices placed on the track are permitted but must be removed before the run. Does placing the measurement device behind the start point still count as the track? Or Is it fine to start my buggy on the paper if the dowel is still on the start point.
2018-19 Events: Amazing Mechatronic :P , Battery Buggy :D , ELG, :o Density Lab, :)
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

Kai0721 wrote:So to measure the angle of my buggy I use this sheet of paper with the angles on it and place it behind the start point. The rules say sighting and alignment devices placed on the track are permitted but must be removed before the run. Does placing the measurement device behind the start point still count as the track? Or Is it fine to start my buggy on the paper if the dowel is still on the start point.
Unofficial...yadda yadda yadda...I asked a similar question to someone who would know and he said the track extends beyond the target point and before the start point. I would say illegal. But I would submit an FAQ if I were you.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

jgrischow1 wrote:
Kai0721 wrote:So to measure the angle of my buggy I use this sheet of paper with the angles on it and place it behind the start point. The rules say sighting and alignment devices placed on the track are permitted but must be removed before the run. Does placing the measurement device behind the start point still count as the track? Or Is it fine to start my buggy on the paper if the dowel is still on the start point.
Unofficial...yadda yadda yadda...I asked a similar question to someone who would know and he said the track extends beyond the target point and before the start point. I would say illegal. But I would submit an FAQ if I were you.
I would say legal to use a protractor device behind the start line. Considering many use scopes or other sighting devices used for alignment are behind the start line. I've seen people do the protractor thing also and have no issue.

But to leave it under your car I would say illegal. Gota pick them up. Only the wheels may contact the floor during your run.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

So uh during competition after the proctors have measured the distances, are you allowed to bring a ruler and measure some things before you pick up the buggy?
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

LittleMissNyan wrote:So uh during competition after the proctors have measured the distances, are you allowed to bring a ruler and measure some things before you pick up the buggy?
You are allowed, but it counts toward the time
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

I've seen teams penalized for leaving alignment fixtures behind the start point. I think you have to remove it.
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

So my kids wanted to go with the narrower BaneBots wheels (t-40s?) to try to get a better can score. Problem is, they don't fit nearly as well on their hubs as the bigger ones did. Obviously there is half as much material, but the fit is so poor the wheels wobble on the hubs. We have tried putting plumber's tape around the hubs to make the fit better. Any other ideas?

Also, the set screws are a pain. We never had a problem with the bigger wheels, but with these, tighten too much, and the set screw strips or the hex key rounds off. Tighten not enough, and the hubs come off the axle. Tough to find the sweet spot. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Return to “Battery Buggy B”