Dynamic Planet B/C

WangwithaTang

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by WangwithaTang »

l0lit wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:Can somebody explain what ground moraine is?
Irregular layer of till left on the ground by a glacier. Not exactly an accumulation as you may imagine a moraine to look like, but rather similar to another sedimentary layer with the characteristics of till.
How is it left exactly?
porphyry
Division: C
State: CT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by porphyry »

WangwithaTang wrote:
l0lit wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:Can somebody explain what ground moraine is?
Irregular layer of till left on the ground by a glacier. Not exactly an accumulation as you may imagine a moraine to look like, but rather similar to another sedimentary layer with the characteristics of till.
How is it left exactly?
After the glacier melts, the till is left on the ground.

Edit: There may also be different mechanics that I'm not aware of (perhaps just by regular melt water), but as far as I know that's the main way a ground moraine is formed.
Staples HS, CT Dank Memes Area Homeschool :D

2020 Events: Astronomy, Dynamic, GeoLogic Mapping
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

porphyry wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
l0lit wrote:
How is it left exactly?

Edit: There may also be different mechanics that I'm not aware of (perhaps just by regular melt water), but as far as I know that's the main way a ground moraine is formed.
okay, thanks.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

WangwithaTang wrote:
porphyry wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote: How is it left exactly?

okay, thanks.
I have also heard of it as the glacier advancing over an already existing moraine and spreading the till, but I am not sure of the validity.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
LiteralRhinoceros
State: NJ

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

how have you guys learned the event? i'm pretty trash at glaciers, but i'm not sure what source i should be using/how i should be studying.
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
Sharan.thiru
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Sharan.thiru »

LiteralRhinoceros wrote:how have you guys learned the event? i'm pretty trash at glaciers, but i'm not sure what source i should be using/how i should be studying.
I'm decent at the event but i would focus on math, reading topo maps, identifying glaciers, gacial history and anything relating to isostocy but the math
Eagle View Middle School
2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Meteorology, Solar System
Total Medal Count:16
Invitational-8
Regionals:6
States:2
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Sharan.thiru wrote:
LiteralRhinoceros wrote:how have you guys learned the event? i'm pretty trash at glaciers, but i'm not sure what source i should be using/how i should be studying.
I'm decent at the event but i would focus on math, reading topo maps, identifying glaciers, gacial history and anything relating to isostocy but the math
You should definitely look into being able to identify the different glacial depositional and erosional patterns
LiteralRhinoceros
State: NJ

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Sharan.thiru wrote:
You should definitely look into being able to identify the different glacial depositional and erosional patterns
I'm okay with all of that stuff except maybe topo maps, but my problem is that at competitions, a large number of teams tend to do really well, and I want to think that i'm pretty solid with that stuff. At regionals and states I got 4th and 10th respectively, on tests I felt like I did well on. This leads me to the conclusion that the top teams have some sort of way to have detailed knowledge of everything. Even on the Cornell test, where the entire open ended portion was super tough and challenging, we didn't make enough mistakes on the easier part for the margin between us and the other places to be so high.
In other words, I don't understand how the best teams are so good, and what they are doing differently from me.
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Wasting tons of time scrolling the web for random glacier info. Ima bet that's it.
Also guessing ability.
Know what an ice flower is?
I don't, and our A team didn't, but I guessed wrong (fortunately I guessed the landsat ones correctly :P )
Nibb
Division: B
State: MI

Post by Nibb »

dish123 wrote:Are we allowed to fold and glue pages ontop of of the only 4 pages allowed?
You can't but you can print multiple pages on one page

Return to “2019 Study Events”