Write It Do It B/C

mdv2o5
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by mdv2o5 »

dxu46 wrote:How do you get good at writing quickly?
From my experience, the key to doing well is not to get good at writing more or writing faster but rather to increase the information density of your writing. The rules allow for abbreviations which should dramatically speed up the writing process. My partner and I also spent a few hours discussing how we would describe some common objects such as Legos and office supplies so that when they showed up at competition, we were already viewing the instructions from the same reference point. In addition, agreeing on the meaning of direction words such as top/bottom, north/south, 1o'clock, front/back, etc. beforehand will go a long way. For common construction kits like K'nex and Legos, it's worthwhile to just come up with a standard notation.

But with regards to your question, you could also try removing any superfluous words used in ordinary grammar like articles and some verbs if you're really looking to write as fast as possible.
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Post by jgrischow1 »

So let's say in a temporary lapse of brilliance my writer drew a good luck smiley face to my doer in their instructions. No drawings or diagrams of the object, mind you. What's the appropriate penalty? I don't see a lot of guidance in the rules except for "4. SCORING:
a. The team that builds the object nearest to the original and has a written description with no drawings or diagrams will be declared the winner."
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

jgrischow1 wrote:So let's say in a temporary lapse of brilliance my writer drew a good luck smiley face to my doer in their instructions. No drawings or diagrams of the object, mind you. What's the appropriate penalty? I don't see a lot of guidance in the rules except for "4. SCORING:
a. The team that builds the object nearest to the original and has a written description with no drawings or diagrams will be declared the winner."
I'd say it's just the ES's opinion. If there was a chance it could be used to violate the spirit of the competition, like if it was written above a line telling the doer to build something in a shape, then it'd be against the rules but it sounds fairly benign. At regionals one team asked the proctor if something was legal. That's an option, too.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”