UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

404ic wrote:Hi everyone,

I was assigned DD for state after regionals and I've never done the event before. I see an abundance of resources in this forum and it's slightly overwhelming. Does anyone have any tips on where to begin (besides the wiki)?

Thanks,
me
Take a look through the CDC textbook and skim through some of it. Maybe look at the MMWR or the CDC game Solve the Outbreak to get an intuition for the event. After that, read through the rules and take notes for all the topics mentioned. After that, you should be more than fine. Hopefully you have a good partner. I recommend taking a practice test or two before states together.
huppada
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Post by huppada »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
404ic wrote:Hi everyone,

I was assigned DD for state after regionals and I've never done the event before. I see an abundance of resources in this forum and it's slightly overwhelming. Does anyone have any tips on where to begin (besides the wiki)?

Thanks,
me
Take a look through the CDC textbook and skim through some of it. Maybe look at the MMWR or the CDC game Solve the Outbreak to get an intuition for the event. After that, read through the rules and take notes for all the topics mentioned. After that, you should be more than fine. Hopefully you have a good partner. I recommend taking a practice test or two before states together.
Also, take and absorb as many tests as you can. This event mainly asks you the same type of questions, and taking multiple tests is a easy and effective way to cover all the topics.
Orlando Science Schools '20
2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Protein Modeling
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

I'm getting conflicting answers about the formula for incidence. I know that incidence rate is cases/(person*time). Some sources say that incidence is cases/population/time, while others say that incidence is new cases/population. Does anyone have a definite formula?
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Froggie wrote:I'm getting conflicting answers about the formula for incidence. I know that incidence rate is cases/(person*time). Some sources say that incidence is cases/population/time, while others say that incidence is new cases/population. Does anyone have a definite formula?
Cases/population/time and cases/population are effectively the same thing if a time range is given (e.g. 6 cases/person/year vs 6 cases/person in one year or 10 cases/person/year vs 20 cases/person in two years). I would just go with the former.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Froggie wrote:I'm getting conflicting answers about the formula for incidence. I know that incidence rate is cases/(person*time). Some sources say that incidence is cases/population/time, while others say that incidence is new cases/population. Does anyone have a definite formula?
Cases/population/time and cases/population are effectively the same thing if a time range is given (e.g. 6 cases/person/year vs 6 cases/person in one year or 10 cases/person/year vs 20 cases/person in two years). I would just go with the former.
Ok that's what I thought. Thanks!
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
404ic
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 404ic »

Does anyone know the difference between efficiency, efficacy, and effectiveness in the context of DD?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

404ic wrote:Does anyone know the difference between efficiency, efficacy, and effectiveness in the context of DD?
Generally:
Efficiency - using minimal resources to do something well
Efficacy - producing the desired theoretical results
Effectiveness - producing day-to-day results under "real life" conditions
404ic
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 404ic »

I saw in a test question that epidemiologists are starting to shift from the epidemiological triad and that there is a new equivalent to this triad. I couldn't find anything on the internet relating to this; does anyone know what this question is referring to?
poonicle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by poonicle »

404ic wrote:I saw in a test question that epidemiologists are starting to shift from the epidemiological triad and that there is a new equivalent to this triad. I couldn't find anything on the internet relating to this; does anyone know what this question is referring to?
From what I know this is a result of not all aspects of the epidemiological triad being needed for a disease to occur (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). According to the CDC website, causal pies are an alternative (for diseases with several contributing causes without a single necessary cause). Idk why but it seems that the CDC website took down the web course on epidemiology... RIP
Events: WIDI, Geomap, Disease, Chem Lab
Acton-Boxborough A for Invites season
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

poonicle wrote:
404ic wrote:I saw in a test question that epidemiologists are starting to shift from the epidemiological triad and that there is a new equivalent to this triad. I couldn't find anything on the internet relating to this; does anyone know what this question is referring to?
From what I know this is a result of not all aspects of the epidemiological triad being needed for a disease to occur (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). According to the CDC website, causal pies are an alternative (for diseases with several contributing causes without a single necessary cause). Idk why but it seems that the CDC website took down the web course on epidemiology... RIP
There's always the Wayback Machine... haven't checked, but it's probably on there?

Return to “2019 Study Events”