Dynamic Planet B/C

WangwithaTang

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by WangwithaTang »

BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
This will better explain it
Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing
Density times thickness equals density times thickness. That's why different topographies can be equal in weight. The image is more detailed. you take the density times thickness of the crust, and it equals the density times thickness of this other crust. If they are equal there is equilibrium. If unequal, there is depression or rebound.
Ok, so how do you solve the problem posed by this image?
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote: Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing
Density times thickness equals density times thickness. That's why different topographies can be equal in weight. The image is more detailed. you take the density times thickness of the crust, and it equals the density times thickness of this other crust. If they are equal there is equilibrium. If unequal, there is depression or rebound.
All the yellow (crust) must have an equal density times thickness for there to be isostatic equilibrium. If the numbers aren't equal the smaller number is sinking (I think).
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
Sharan.thiru
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sharan.thiru »

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote: Wait, so what's the equation? Like for the image. Because d*t = d*t are like the same thing
You do realize that most of the math on the test is about glacial movement, erosion, and mass balance right. THere's not much you can do with isostasy when it comes to glaciers.
Eagle View Middle School
2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Meteorology, Solar System
Total Medal Count:16
Invitational-8
Regionals:6
States:2
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Sharan.thiru wrote:THere's not much you can do with isostasy when it comes to glaciers.
This is false, the melting and formation of large glaciers cause the Earth's lithosphere to rebound and move down, respectively.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Sharan.thiru wrote:THere's not much you can do with isostasy when it comes to glaciers.
This is false, the melting and formation of large glaciers cause the Earth's lithosphere to rebound and move down, respectively.
Yep, I've seen isostasy questions at almost every competition I've gone to.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Sharan.thiru wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
You do realize that most of the math on the test is about glacial movement, erosion, and mass balance right. THere's not much you can do with isostasy when it comes to glaciers.
There's not much on it, but it appears on many many tests.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
All the yellow (crust) must have an equal density times thickness for there to be isostatic equilibrium. If the numbers aren't equal the smaller number is sinking (I think).
Thank you! Can somebody explain the difference between hanging valleys, truncated spurs, and U-shaped Valleys are? Sorry for all the question guys :cry: I'm new to dynamic planet.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

WangwithaTang wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote: Ok, so how do you solve the problem posed by this image?
Thank you! Can somebody explain the difference between hanging valleys, truncated spurs, and U-shaped Valleys are? Sorry for all the question guys :cry: I'm new to dynamic planet.
Have you looked at pictures? I find that visuals really help me with all the glacial features.
Sharan.thiru
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sharan.thiru »

pb5754[] wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
That’s weird since I’ve never seen isostasy problems at any competitor ion. Oof.
Eagle View Middle School
2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Meteorology, Solar System
Total Medal Count:16
Invitational-8
Regionals:6
States:2
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Sharan.thiru wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: This is false, the melting and formation of large glaciers cause the Earth's lithosphere to rebound and move down, respectively.
That’s weird since I’ve never seen isostasy problems at any competitor ion. Oof.
It may help to consider that Division B and Division C tests likely focus on different aspects of the event.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2019 Study Events”