Improving Weak Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Anonymous15
Been thanked: 0

Improving Weak Events

Post by Anonymous15 »

Hey guys,
Do you know how to improve events that are seemingly weaker throughout a team? If nobody knows how to do a particular event really well, what are things you can do to improve them(assuming that you are not doing them)?

Thanks!
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Improving Weak Events

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Uhhh ideas off the top of my head
- Find resources and stuff and send it to them
- Ask the science/tech ed teacher if they can do things with them
- Give them an emotional support potato
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
nateDC
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by nateDC »

+1 to the potato
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0

Post by wec01 »

For build events other builders could help as long as the people on it are still primary builders. As for study events it's a bit more difficult and I can't think of much besides finding resources or finding people who do similar events to help and/or do the event. In general, sometimes there are events that are simply hard to cover with the people you have and you just have to work with what you have.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
Ninn
State: MI

Post by Ninn »

If it's a study event, the best you can do is to make them run through practice tests, especially the harder ones.
PAweatherguy
Division: Grad
State: UT

Post by PAweatherguy »

Success in Science Olympiad comes down to a few key items:

1. You've got to want it.
2. You've got to work for it.
3. You can't give up when you get frustrated.

Bonus: if you have someone that is passionate about a certain subject, it helps to assign them events around it.

Now if you've satisfied all of the above, my suggestions include performing a lot of research, going over college level textbooks around the material for the event, experimenting with different designs if it is a building event (if bridge building is still a thing, when I did that I built one once a week or sometimes twice and tested each one out until I found a design that I could take to competition), talking with professors at a local community college or university about questions you may have, etc.
Science Olympiad Alumni 2005 (FL State Champs 1999-2005)
Penn State Alumni 2007- Meteorology
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

I think as a captain or coach it’s important to stress the “we are only as strong as our weakest link” mantra all season, or at least through the last qualifying tournament. As we lead up to regionals, I always stress the following hypothetical - two students, each with 3 events to prepare for - one student gets 1st, 1st, and 20th, the other gets 7th, 7th, 7th. From the individual perspective, going home with 2 gold medals in favorite events seems great (and you bombed one, but there’s always an excuse for that..) - but from the team perspective, the 21 points accumulated by the second student was better than 22, even though they never get called to the stage for a medal.

It all depends on goals though. For us, the goal is to qualify for states, so after regionals, there is little value in pressuring students to prep for events that they just don’t enjoy as much. There’s little difference in placing 20th or 30th at a tournament, but the extra time invested into a favorite event for a shot at a medal can pay off for a student in the long run.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom »

just study more LUL
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

megrimlockawesom wrote:just study more LUL
I think that building and motivating a team effort is probably more important, especially if the weaker events are events that you're not doing. This is a team competition!

Return to “General Competition”