Florida 2019

pepperonipi
Division: C
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Florida 2019

Post by pepperonipi »

dxu46 wrote:Congrats to OSS and River City for B, and Boca and Archimidean for C!

What happened to Archimidean B? Not even top 6?
For the future, it’s Archimedean not Archimidean. :P
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Post by Killboe »

pepperonipi wrote:
dxu46 wrote:Congrats to OSS and River City for B, and Boca and Archimidean for C!

For the future, it’s Archimedean not Archimidean. :P
Dang, also what team of Boca Raton are you on?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Killboe wrote:gg to everybody there

Results :

Div C

1. Boca Raton CHS (82) (going to nats)
2. Boca Raton CHS Team 2 (121) (idk if going to nats or not)
3. Archimedean Upper Conservatory (159) (nats?)

Div B

1. Orlando Science School (72) (going to nats)
2. Orlando Science School Team 2 (188) (idk if going to nats)
3. River City Science Academy (193) (nats?)
The 2nd place school will get the bid. Both states are expected to retain their second bid, although if a few states have particularly large growth Div B has a small chance of losing the second bid.

Congrats to Boca Raton on a record score, and to Orlando Science - particularly B, where they historically haven't been as successful but put up a record score this year.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
BocaBuilder18
Been thanked: 0

Post by BocaBuilder18 »

Congrats to Boca High's Team 1 on an amazing performance at States today! Boca medalled in 20 of their events with 8 gold medals (compared to 17 for Boca 2, and 13 (3 golds) for ArchSci A, which helped them on their path to being the only team that broke 100 points today. They've got lots of time to prepare for Nationals, where I believe they can get top 10, and probably higher considering they have such a talented, hard-working group of students.

Another huge congrats goes to Boca's Team 2: not only is this the best Boca High Team 1 ever, but this is clearly also the best Team 2 we've ever had. If no Seniors are selected to serve as alternates for Nationals (hopefully some are), they left their last competition going out on top. Their hard work and years of dedication helped make it clear that Boca is still competitive, and thriving, in our state. Although Boca's Team 2 won't get to go to Nationals, they're going to keep Boca relevant as a dominant national player for years to come.

I'm sure Archimedean isn't happy with 3rd, but it's good that they still get to compete at Nationals. Like I discussed with them this weekend, having an in-state rival is great for both our teams, and for the state of Florida as we get to challenge each other and keep our competitions somewhat interesting. We also agreed that it's great that these two teams get to represent Florida, and that Florida is being represented by the dominant Southeast division (4/6 top overall places today) at Nationals yet again.
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

BocaBuilder18 wrote:Congrats to Boca High's Team 1 on an amazing performance at States today! Boca medalled in 20 of their events with 8 gold medals (compared to 17 for Boca 2, and 13 (3 golds) for ArchSci A, which helped them on their path to being the only team that broke 100 points today. They've got lots of time to prepare for Nationals, where I believe they can get top 10, and probably higher considering they have such a talented, hard-working group of students.

Another huge congrats goes to Boca's Team 2: not only is this the best Boca High Team 1 ever, but this is clearly also the best Team 2 we've ever had. If no Seniors are selected to serve as alternates for Nationals (hopefully some are), they left their last competition going out on top. Their hard work and years of dedication helped make it clear that Boca is still competitive, and thriving, in our state. Although Boca's Team 2 won't get to go to Nationals, they're going to keep Boca relevant as a dominant national player for years to come.

I'm sure Archimedean isn't happy with 3rd, but it's good that they still get to compete at Nationals. Like I discussed with them this weekend, having an in-state rival is great for both our teams, and for the state of Florida as we get to challenge each other and keep our competitions somewhat interesting. We also agreed that it's great that these two teams get to represent Florida, and that Florida is being represented by the dominant Southeast division (4/6 top overall places today) at Nationals yet again.
I would also like to congratulate OSS for having a record score of 72 points. I don't know what they changed but they are dominant. It seems that if they stay on this pace they might be looking at possibly top 25 at Nats or even higher, which hasn't happened in years for a Floridian Div B team.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Congratulations to everyone who competed today, and a special congrats to Orlando Science and Boca Raton for spectacular finishes!

Raw scores can be found here: Link
Tests written by UFSO members in attendance will be uploaded here in the following days along with answer keys. Questions regarding any of the exams/events proctored by UFSO can be directed to [email protected].
Additionally, any feedback you have from your competition experience is welcomed! Please feel free to post event and tournament reviews commenting on what you liked and what could be improved!
I will make sure your comments get to the right people, and together, we can continue to improve Florida Science Olympiad!

For those of you that competed for the last time today, this doesnt have to be the end of your involvement! If you will be continuing your education in Florida, I encourage you to join the Florida Science Olympiad Alumni Facebook group (link) and/or reach out to your local Science Olympiad tournament organizers to stay involved (UF and UMiami both currently have alumni orgs)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

Killboe wrote:

They got 5th (215)
I'm talking about B division...
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Killboe wrote:gg to everybody there

Results :

Div C

1. Boca Raton CHS (82) (going to nats)
2. Boca Raton CHS Team 2 (121) (idk if going to nats or not)
3. Archimedean Upper Conservatory (159) (nats?)

Div B

1. Orlando Science School (72) (going to nats)
2. Orlando Science School Team 2 (188) (idk if going to nats)
3. River City Science Academy (193) (nats?)
Congratulations on qualifying for Nationals again!
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
PAweatherguy
State: UT

Post by PAweatherguy »

As someone who was part of the Gulf Breeze dynasty of teams, it really, really makes me happy to see how far Florida has come in Science Olympiad both in terms of participation and competitiveness.

Congrats to all of those who participated this year, and extra congrats to Orlando Science School and Boca Raton for their championships. Good luck at Nationals this year!

(Also does anyone know if there is a list of teams to correlate with the FSO scoring sheets with just team numbers... Or am I missing it somewhere? I'd like to see who all participated in regionals and states this year)
Science Olympiad Alumni 2005 (FL State Champs 1999-2005)
Penn State Alumni 2007- Meteorology
pgonscioly

Post by pgonscioly »

Congratulation to BOC Team 1 and OSS for State championship.
Last edited by pgonscioly on March 31st, 2019, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”