Water Quality B/C

bp31000
Division: C
State: TN
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by bp31000 »

hmmm wrote:What's the order of the wastewater treatment process?
Different sites have different answers
Waste water treatment is Primary, secondary and in some cases, tertiary treatment. steps vary from facility to facility
Primary treatment removes suspended and floating particles, such as sand and silt, by mechanical processes such as screening and gravitational settling. The solid material that settles out at this stage is primary sludge. Primary treatment does little to eliminate the inorganic and organic compounds that remain suspended in the wastewater.
Secondary treatment uses microorganisms (aerobic bacteria) to decompose the suspended organic material in wastewater, One of the several types of secondary treatment is trickling filters, in which wastewater trickles through aerated rock beds that contain bacteria and other microorganisms, which degrade the organic material in the water. In another type of secondary treatment, the activated sludge process, wastewater is aerated and circulated through bacteria-rich particles; the bacteria degrade suspended organic material. After several hours, the particles and microorganisms are allowed to settle out, forming secondary sludge, a slimy mixture of bacteria-laden solids. Water that has undergone primary and secondary treatment is clear and free of organic wastes such as sewage. The wastewater treatment facilities for about 62% of the U.S. population have both primary and secondary treatments.
Advanced wastewater treatment methods, or tertiary treatment, include a variety of biological, chemical, and physical processes. Tertiary treatment reduces phosphorus and nitrogen, the nutrients most commonly associated with enrichment. Tertiary treatment purifies wastewater for reuse in communities where water is scarce. The wastewater treatment facilities for about 27% of the U.S. population have primary, secondary, and tertiary treatments.
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
treemesa
Has thanked: 0

Post by treemesa »

About the salinometer build, does anyone have an idea of how much must be built on your own? It may seem like a silly question, but for example, would I be able to use a store-bought regulated power supply module or would I have to build a regulator myself?
hmmm
State: NJ

Post by hmmm »

treemesa wrote:About the salinometer build, does anyone have an idea of how much must be built on your own? It may seem like a silly question, but for example, would I be able to use a store-bought regulated power supply module or would I have to build a regulator myself?
According to the FAQ(https://www.soinc.org/water-quality-div-b),"However, because students must build the device, store-bought salinity or conductivity probes, current-measurement devices, and similar store-bought components would be in violation of that part of the rules. "
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
eab2114
State: DC

Post by eab2114 »

I'm trying to build my salinometer using the method from the sci oly website (straw and ball of clay) and am having a lot of trouble getting the straw to stand up straight in the water. Other members of my team who have done the event in the past suggested using thick bubble tea straw, so I am using a reusable one I got from amazon and can't seem to find a way for it to stand up straight. Does anyone have any tips?
Rivkaaa
Division: B
State: NY

Post by Rivkaaa »

eab2114 wrote:I'm trying to build my salinometer using the method from the sci oly website (straw and ball of clay) and am having a lot of trouble getting the straw to stand up straight in the water. Other members of my team who have done the event in the past suggested using thick bubble tea straw, so I am using a reusable one I got from amazon and can't seem to find a way for it to stand up straight. Does anyone have any tips?
I'd suggest using a thinner straw (it helps you distinguish between each percentage more easily). Also, if it cannot stand straight, it means that there's not enough clay, so add a tiny bit more until it begins to stand straight.
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy
eab2114

Post by eab2114 »

Rivkaaa wrote:
eab2114 wrote:I'm trying to build my salinometer using the method from the sci oly website (straw and ball of clay) and am having a lot of trouble getting the straw to stand up straight in the water. Other members of my team who have done the event in the past suggested using thick bubble tea straw, so I am using a reusable one I got from amazon and can't seem to find a way for it to stand up straight. Does anyone have any tips?
I'd suggest using a thinner straw (it helps you distinguish between each percentage more easily). Also, if it cannot stand straight, it means that there's not enough clay, so add a tiny bit more until it begins to stand straight.
So does using a standard straw from a restaurant or something usually work well?
eab2114

Post by eab2114 »

Also, for division c, how do you guys approach prioritizing which information to put onto your study guide? I'm new to the event and looked through several tests, and it seems like a wider variety of info is covered than what I could fit on a page front and back. And for the species identification, do you try to learn all of the pictures and names ahead of time to avoid consuming tons of space with them? Thanks!
flembo17
State: FL

Post by flembo17 »

eab2114 wrote:Also, for division c, how do you guys approach prioritizing which information to put onto your study guide? I'm new to the event and looked through several tests, and it seems like a wider variety of info is covered than what I could fit on a page front and back. And for the species identification, do you try to learn all of the pictures and names ahead of time to avoid consuming tons of space with them? Thanks!
My partner and I have always found it the most effective to memorize macro invertebrate pictures on quizlet/cram.com. This allows more room on the cheat sheet to be allocated toward other information.
Boca Raton Community High School
2020 Events: Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Ping Pong Parachute, Water Quality
2019 Events: Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality
jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

eab2114 wrote:Also, for division c, how do you guys approach prioritizing which information to put onto your study guide? I'm new to the event and looked through several tests, and it seems like a wider variety of info is covered than what I could fit on a page front and back. And for the species identification, do you try to learn all of the pictures and names ahead of time to avoid consuming tons of space with them? Thanks!
I have pictures of the organisms just to have them. I never really use them but for certain iffy ones, I take a glance. I will probably have to take them out, however, as states is rolling around the corner and I still have to fit in septic tanks.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
bp31000
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

eab2114 wrote:
Rivkaaa wrote:
So does using a standard straw from a restaurant or something usually work well?
you can use an eye dropper (from a pharmacy or a craft store) it has a thin tube with a bulb at the bottom. you can add sand in it to weigh down. the bulb and the thin tube above will make the difference in distance between pure water flotation ht and 10% saline flotation ht to about an inch or more. google eyedropper hydrometer and you will find the method.
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:

Return to “2019 Study Events”