Florida 2019

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Florida 2019

Post by Unome »

Killboe wrote:
BocaBuilder18 wrote:Congrats to Boca High's Team 1 on an amazing performance at States today! Boca medalled in 20 of their events with 8 gold medals (compared to 17 for Boca 2, and 13 (3 golds) for ArchSci A, which helped them on their path to being the only team that broke 100 points today. They've got lots of time to prepare for Nationals, where I believe they can get top 10, and probably higher considering they have such a talented, hard-working group of students.

Another huge congrats goes to Boca's Team 2: not only is this the best Boca High Team 1 ever, but this is clearly also the best Team 2 we've ever had. If no Seniors are selected to serve as alternates for Nationals (hopefully some are), they left their last competition going out on top. Their hard work and years of dedication helped make it clear that Boca is still competitive, and thriving, in our state. Although Boca's Team 2 won't get to go to Nationals, they're going to keep Boca relevant as a dominant national player for years to come.

I'm sure Archimedean isn't happy with 3rd, but it's good that they still get to compete at Nationals. Like I discussed with them this weekend, having an in-state rival is great for both our teams, and for the state of Florida as we get to challenge each other and keep our competitions somewhat interesting. We also agreed that it's great that these two teams get to represent Florida, and that Florida is being represented by the dominant Southeast division (4/6 top overall places today) at Nationals yet again.
I would also like to congratulate OSS for having a record score of 72 points. I don't know what they changed but they are dominant. It seems that if they stay on this pace they might be looking at possibly top 25 at Nats or even higher, which hasn't happened in years for a Floridian Div B team.
I doubt OSS will manage top 25 but I think they can push somewhere in the range of 30th.
PAweatherguy wrote:As someone who was part of the Gulf Breeze dynasty of teams, it really, really makes me happy to see how far Florida has come in Science Olympiad both in terms of participation and competitiveness.

Congrats to all of those who participated this year, and extra congrats to Orlando Science School and Boca Raton for their championships. Good luck at Nationals this year!

(Also does anyone know if there is a list of teams to correlate with the FSO scoring sheets with just team numbers... Or am I missing it somewhere? I'd like to see who all participated in regionals and states this year)
Yeah, the lack of team names annoys me too. I don't know why they aren't just displayed on the scores page.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
BocaBuilder18
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BocaBuilder18 »

Unome wrote:
Killboe wrote:
BocaBuilder18 wrote:Congrats to Boca High's Team 1 on an amazing performance at States today! Boca medalled in 20 of their events with 8 gold medals (compared to 17 for Boca 2, and 13 (3 golds) for ArchSci A, which helped them on their path to being the only team that broke 100 points today. They've got lots of time to prepare for Nationals, where I believe they can get top 10, and probably higher considering they have such a talented, hard-working group of students.

Another huge congrats goes to Boca's Team 2: not only is this the best Boca High Team 1 ever, but this is clearly also the best Team 2 we've ever had. If no Seniors are

I'm sure Archimedean isn't happy with 3rd, but it's good that they still get to compete at Nationals. Like I discussed with them this weekend, having an in-state rival is great for both our teams, and for the state of

Yeah, the lack of team names annoys me too. I don't know why they aren't just displayed on the scores page.
If you look at the detailed score breakdown Excel document and look at raw scores for individual events, you can see the team names next to the numbers on the left column:
http://state.soss.floridascienceolympia ... &year=2019
huppada
Division: C

Post by huppada »

Huge congratulations to Boca and Archimedean for qualifying for nationals, as well as OSS and River City in Division B! We have very strong teams representing Florida at nationals this year, and I hope that we can see a larger number of placements! :D
Orlando Science Schools '20
2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Protein Modeling
jaggie34

Post by jaggie34 »

On the state website, protein modeling results just disappeared, does anyone know why?
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
Verdigris
Division: C

Post by Verdigris »

The best guess I would have is a scoring dispute. I’m not an ES or otherwise involved in running the event, though, so don’t quote me on that.

On a more general note, congrats to everyone who competed, and to Boca and Archimedean for winning the bids to Nationals for Division C. I kind of wish my last season had gone better (I dropped 6 places in DD and 8 places in Forensics from State last year), but I do think the tournament was run pretty well as a whole, and I’m sure the underclassmen on our team have learned a lot from this experience. Hopefully Lake Nona will do better next season.

EDIT: Event reviews for those that I participated in, since Windu said to post them here
Disease Detectives and Water Quality were good in terms of question quality (if a bit easy- the placings in both events were often separated by one point each and featured multiple ties), but were pretty short.
Forensics reused a test from two or three years ago- which in and of itself is not a death knell since it wasn’t from the Test Exchange, the answers were never released, and Forensics isn’t the sort of event where having seen the test before grants a major advantage.
However, the test in question would have been designed based on an old version of the Forensics rules, since in the past few years the number of cheat sheets has been decreased. Again, this wouldn’t have given any team an advantage since everyone was operating off the same rules, but it probably would have been better to design a new test to fit the new rules better. (The test in question was also pretty light on samples for polymers, and the few chromatography questions had nothing to do with the actual crime.)

I heard no complaints about the events that UF students wrote tests for, though.
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
jaggie34

Post by jaggie34 »

Protein modeling scores are back up, some places ended up changing but no overall ranks at least at the top changed
demir

Post by demir »

I also would like to extend my congratulations to everyone, especially to Boca Raton, Archimedean, OSS and Rivercity, as well as Boca B and OSS B for passing any other school that did not carry their name. Finally American Heritage for almost making it to Nationals in their first year competing. They were quite impressive for a new comer.

windu34 wrote:Congratulations to everyone who competed today, and a special congrats to Orlando Science and Boca Raton for spectacular finishes!

Raw scores can be found here: Link
Tests written by UFSO members in attendance will be uploaded here in the following days along with answer keys. Questions regarding any of the exams/events proctored by UFSO can be directed to [email protected].
Additionally, any feedback you have from your competition experience is welcomed! Please feel free to post event and tournament reviews commenting on what you liked and what could be improved!
I will make sure your comments get to the right people, and together, we can continue to improve Florida Science Olympiad!

For those of you that competed for the last time today, this doesnt have to be the end of your involvement! If you will be continuing your education in Florida, I encourage you to join the Florida Science Olympiad Alumni Facebook group (link) and/or reach out to your local Science Olympiad tournament organizers to stay involved (UF and UMiami both currently have alumni orgs)
Thank you, this was one of the best run run state finals in my memory. It is quite likely the best one. There were several compliments to events and more importantly no one whined about a poorly made test. Please convey my thanks to Alumni association as well anyone that were part of event review.
BocaBuilder18 wrote: We also agreed that it's great that these two teams get to represent Florida, and that Florida is being represented by the dominant Southeast division (4/6 top overall places today) at Nationals yet again.
Congratulations again. Enjoy your region's Division C supremacy while it lasts :) North region is the future though. When we move there next year it will automatically be the most dominant division B region and considering we have no seniors on our teams and getting another wave of talent in the next two years, the only question will be when RCSA High will catch up :)
Unome wrote:

I doubt OSS will manage top 25 but I think they can push somewhere in the range of 30th.
Considering our best finish was 40th, we'll take it. Our team is great but they are mostly 7th graders. We lack experience and maturity. They should be be really scary next year though.
jaggie34

Post by jaggie34 »

Sounds of Music C also seems to be getting reviewed/revised

Edit: It came back online and I didn't notice any differences
jaah5211
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jaah5211 »

jaggie34 wrote:Sounds of Music C also seems to be getting reviewed/revised

Protein Modeling C was just changed.
jaggie34

Post by jaggie34 »

jaah5211 wrote:
jaggie34 wrote:Sounds of Music C also seems to be getting reviewed/revised

Protein Modeling C was just changed.
Wright Stuff just changed as well

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”