Forensics C

jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Forensics C

Post by jimmy-bond »

dnzsnr wrote:Anyone have a link to a good dichotomous key to use for powders?
I use a chart, not sure if there are any physical dichotomous keys but the intellectual bois probably have the sequence of testing memorized. I suggest that you start with a flame test and go from there.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
wec01
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by wec01 »

jimmy-bond wrote:
dnzsnr wrote:Anyone have a link to a good dichotomous key to use for powders?
I use a chart, not sure if there are any physical dichotomous keys but the intellectual bois probably have the sequence of testing memorized. I suggest that you start with a flame test and go from there.
Yeah the flame test is very helpful and can single out a large number of the powders. It also can help to consider what each of the powders look like and quickly narrow it down before doing some tests.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
dnzsnr

Post by dnzsnr »

Do polar or non polar substances travel farther in chromatography (using water as solvent)?
wec01

Post by wec01 »

dnzsnr wrote:Do polar or non polar substances travel farther in chromatography (using water as solvent)?
I believe polar substances would travel further because they would attract to the water molecules

Edit: I'm actually not sure about this since I believe in paper chromatography the paper is polar as well
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
wec01

Post by wec01 »

What are some common mass spectra that come up on tests? I've noticed hexane and caffeine are both relatively common, and I was wondering if there were others.
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
wec01

Post by wec01 »

Has anyone here gone to nationals and done forensics multiple times?
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

wec01 wrote:Has anyone here gone to nationals and done forensics multiple times?
I haven’t been to nationals multiple times (only once) but I’ve done forensics with the national supervisor breathing down my neck several more times at all the other levels of competition (which incidentally did prove to really help with facing her again at nationals itself)...need advice?
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

pikachu4919 wrote:
I haven’t been to nationals multiple times (only once) but I’ve done forensics with the national supervisor breathing down my neck several more times at all the other levels of competition (which incidentally did prove to really help with facing her again at nationals itself)...need advice?
lol, *Hammond invy and IN State* and her tests are reallyyyyy different from any others I took. It's just something about them that makes them harder. The way they're set up makes it difficult to keep things straight, as we can't mark suspect sheets. Idk, they're just different and harder. Also, she doesn't explicitly state which unknowns are mixtures, which is annoying. It said all powders found on the suspects are suspected to be mixtures, but no mix. of 2 or 3, gotta figure it out.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
pikachu4919
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

CPScienceDude wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
lol, *Hammond invy and IN State* and her tests are reallyyyyy different from any others I took. It's just something about them that makes them harder. The way they're set up makes it difficult to keep things straight, as we can't mark suspect sheets. Idk, they're just different and harder. Also, she doesn't explicitly state which unknowns are mixtures, which is annoying. It said all powders found on the suspects are suspected to be mixtures, but no mix. of 2 or 3, gotta figure it out.
The hardest thing about them is the length - it's always absurd in the wrong way. Like it'll be loaded with maybe 50+ easy trivia, and it just becomes a race of who can finish the most without screwing up. I really don't like it, but she doesn't change much at all, so it is what it is.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
wec01

Post by wec01 »

pikachu4919 wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
The hardest thing about them is the length - it's always absurd in the wrong way. Like it'll be loaded with maybe 50+ easy trivia, and it just becomes a race of who can finish the most without screwing up. I really don't like it, but she doesn't change much at all, so it is what it is.
Yeah, I remembered the nats test last year being like that and was hoping maybe it was a fluke, but looks like it wasn't.
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics

Return to “2019 Lab Events”