Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Idaho 2019

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
kate! wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote: Nice! That's really cool, I didn't know that people who compete in Div. B could also compete in Div. C. My guess is that it's going to be a lot harder to compete in Div. C. Good luck!
They usually can't (at least in New York and California). Not sure why this was allowed?
My HS coach seems to think it's allowed, and she's very knowledgeable about SO. While soinc.org says teams may only compete in one Division at a school, my coach says that's per competition, and you can change the roster between competitions.

Not trying to let you down, although I thought that if you attended one competition for one team, you can't attend another with a different team. However, you're homeschoolled - that might change how it works
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
kate! wrote:
TheCrazyChemist wrote: Nice! That's really cool, I didn't know that people who compete in Div. B could also compete in Div. C. My guess is that it's going to be a lot harder to compete in Div. C. Good luck!
They usually can't (at least in New York and California). Not sure why this was allowed?
My HS coach seems to think it's allowed, and she's very knowledgeable about SO. While soinc.org says teams may only compete in one Division at a school, my coach says that's per competition, and you can change the roster between competitions.
You should definitely ask soinc. It's better that you do it now than going to nationals and having your entire team being disqualified because of that rule.
(https://www.soinc.org/start-team/team-size-grade-levels) for reference
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
kate! wrote:
Your coach doesn't work for SOINC, and you shouldn't take her word over official rules. Do what dxu said and check with SOINC.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
JoJoKeKe
State: ID
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JoJoKeKe »

First of all, congratulations to all who competed yesterday.

Having taken a year long break from SO it was nice to be back, although this was my first time at BSU so it was definitely very different! BK's Science Olympiad program has been on a steady decline over the past few years, so it was a pleasant surprise that we still took 2nd place.

Special props to the Homeschool C division. I remember how enthralled I was in SO during my middle school years and it's great to see that kind of energy in Idaho these days. I also would like to especially congratulate @MissAmargasaurus for her excellent performance in both Herpetology and Fossils. Doing decently well at nationals during the 2015-2016 season in fossils, I know the kind of work needed to do well in the ID events.

I competed in Fossils, Herpetology, Dynamic Planet, and Fermi Questions at the competition yesterday. I was impressed with how much I remembered in fossils from my 8th grade year, especially considering I had not even looked at the list until yesterday morning (oops). Overall, the tests definitely seemed harder and more fitting for a state competition. I certainly wish I would have had the opportunity to at least go to one invitational outside of Idaho but that's simply not where the program is at BK at this time.

Again, congrats everyone! :)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
kate! wrote:
NSO will almost certainly not care. Their policy is likely intentionally vague, and even then such things are only likely to become a problem in high-profile cases.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

Unome wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
kate! wrote: They usually can't (at least in New York and California). Not sure why this was allowed?
NSO will almost certainly not care. Their policy is likely intentionally vague, and even then such things are only likely to become a problem in high-profile cases.
Even if they don't care, still ask - what's the harm?
https://www.soinc.org/coachingteam-requirements - click on the dark gray button at the top.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote: My HS coach seems to think it's allowed, and she's very knowledgeable about SO. While soinc.org says teams may only compete in one Division at a school, my coach says that's per competition, and you can change the roster between competitions.
https://www.soinc.org/coachingteam-requirements - click on the dark gray button at the top.
If talisfan asks, and soinc says no, he can't get away with it anymore. He'd be intentionally breaking the rules if he completed for div c.

I agree with unome. They probably won't care, and you can argue that you didn't interpret the rules the same way as it was meant to be written.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

builderguy135 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote: NSO will almost certainly not care. Their policy is likely intentionally vague, and even then such things are only likely to become a problem in high-profile cases.
If talisfan asks, and soinc says no, he can't get away with it anymore. He'd be intentionally breaking the rules if he completed for div c.

I agree with unome. They probably won't care, and you can argue that you didn't interpret the rules the same way as it was meant to be written.
If anything, ask the state supervisor if you can, instead of asing SOINC.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

builderguy135 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote: NSO will almost certainly not care. Their policy is likely intentionally vague, and even then such things are only likely to become a problem in high-profile cases.

So you're saying that it's okay to do something possibly illegal if you don't know it's illegal? Not only is that immoral, but it poses a high risk as well. I'm pretty sure they check team rosters at nationals (they put your names on the cards in your lanyards so definitely) so there is a risk.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pb5754 »

builderguy135 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:

Even in that case, the coach could refer to Tailsfan as "A student on our Division B team" or something similar. SOINC wouldn't know their name or anything...

Anyways, I definitely agree with dxu. It's not worth a possible DQ for your team in those events.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”