Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

SciHenry2017 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
SciHenry2017 wrote:I’m new to this forum so I’m not sure if I am supposed to ask questions on here, but I need help. I don’t know how to solve this problem any help would be great. Thank You!!

You notice a horizontal outcrop of an unfolded stratum with a midline 50 meters below the top of a vertical cliff, with a thickness of 3 meters. After climbing to the top of the cliff to investigate further, you find another outcrop of the stratum on the flat clifftop, 2.6 meters wide.
61. What is the true thickness of this stratum in meters? (3)
62. How far is the midline of the second outcrop from the cliff edge in meters? (2)
The first thing to do when encountering this kind of picture is drawing a picture and labeling relevant angles and lengths. In this case, you would probably only need to draw a cross section. From there, solve for the angles and remaining lengths using some trig calculations. If you need more help, I can attempt to draw a picture.
Yes can you draw the picture please? I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
Here's a start to the problem https://imgur.com/a/cZPCFRV

The solution to 61 is left as an exercise in trig :P
SciHenry2017
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciHenry2017 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
SciHenry2017 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: The first thing to do when encountering this kind of picture is drawing a picture and labeling relevant angles and lengths. In this case, you would probably only need to draw a cross section. From there, solve for the angles and remaining lengths using some trig calculations. If you need more help, I can attempt to draw a picture.
Yes can you draw the picture please? I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
Here's a start to the problem https://imgur.com/a/cZPCFRV

The solution to 61 is left as an exercise in trig :P
Awesome, Thank you!!! :D
Arpitr20

Post by Arpitr20 »

Hey! I wasn't sure but is the weird focus on Subduction Zones in GeoLogic Mapping just part of the rubric, or is GeoLogic mapping becoming like Dynamic Planet, where every year they will have a new "focus topic"
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)
Astronomy: 5/
Chem Lab: 1/1
Dynamic Planet: 2/2
GeoLogic Mapping: 5/5
Circuit Lab: 3/4
Code Busters: -/
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Arpitr20 wrote:Hey! I wasn't sure but is the weird focus on Subduction Zones in GeoLogic Mapping just part of the rubric, or is GeoLogic mapping becoming like Dynamic Planet, where every year they will have a new "focus topic"
Probably, it will rotate focus topics, although I'm not quite sure.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Arpitr20 wrote:Hey! I wasn't sure but is the weird focus on Subduction Zones in GeoLogic Mapping just part of the rubric, or is GeoLogic mapping becoming like Dynamic Planet, where every year they will have a new "focus topic"
What's weird about it? I really appreciate themes...admittedly haven't seen the results of it, but Geomaps before was broad enough to test literally everything, which I was not a fan of T.T. I imagine the topic can definitely change, though unsure what it would rotate between. I also think the most direct comparison for this would be compare the similar thing happening with Remote recently.

The purpose of these events are also a little different anyway: Geomaps/Remote focus a lot more on specific techniques (mapping, imaging), while DyPlan focuses more on a broad understanding as far as I remember. You obviously need both, but the latter leaves more room for testing specific facts, classifications, or theories, while the former allows you to go a lot more in depth with certain techniques (that makes up so much content that you really would need to cover each topic in separate classes, for example). That said, Geomaps/Remote can definitely get into abnormally hard techniques if you are allowed to focus on any topic...
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Selundar
State: IL

Post by Selundar »

syo_astro wrote: Geomaps before was broad enough to test literally everything, which I was not a fan of T.T.
Haha trust me, even with the focus on subduction zones, this event can still cover anything at all related to geology (painful memories)
aeshs '21
TheWood
State: GA

Post by TheWood »

Out of curiousity, what compasses are everyone using for nats?
Brookwood High School (Head Officer)
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

Geomaps probably won't change topics this year, it's only been 1 year of a 2 year cycle. They'll change topics when it cycles back in most likely. As for the non-mapping bits of tests, think of it as 2 separate tests, the mapping and the dynamic planet stuff. I was in tectonics for dynamic last year, so I just slid in my notes from that and relied on prior knowledge for that portion of the test.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
Molybon
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Molybon »

BennyTheJett wrote:Geomaps probably won't change topics this year, it's only been 1 year of a 2 year cycle. They'll change topics when it cycles back in most likely. As for the non-mapping bits of tests, think of it as 2 separate tests, the mapping and the dynamic planet stuff. I was in tectonics for dynamic last year, so I just slid in my notes from that and relied on prior knowledge for that portion of the test.
Yeah, I'm basically doing that as well. I have a lot of dynamic experience, so I'm usually the one handling the multiple choice.
Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping, WIDI, Ornithology, Protein (Jmol)

Past Events: Experimental Design, Meteorology
poonicle

Post by poonicle »

If anyone knows how to solve this problem or can point me towards resources in solving this problem, I'd really appreciate it. Screenshots are from 2019 Princeton Geologic Mapping test; they have the tests + key publicly released on their website but no solutions. ^_^

the problem & the map mentioned in the problem
Events: WIDI, Geomap, Disease, Chem Lab
Acton-Boxborough A for Invites season

Return to “2019 Study Events”