Unofficial Rankings C

Rossyspsce

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by Rossyspsce »

Selundar wrote:Alright I think it's about time for a revive after today's tournaments.

1. Troy
2. Solon
3. Mason
4. Clements (6th if 7L)
5. Acton Boxborough
6. WWP South
7. Stevenson
8. New Trier
9. Columbia
10. Harriton
11. Mounds View
12. Boca Raton
13. Mira Loma
14. Enloe
15. Bayard Rustin
16. NCSSM
17. Ward Melville
18. TJHSST
19. Northville
20. Bothell

I just put this together so I'm still not satisfied with everything, especially 16-20. It's possible I'm overreacting to the strength of Ohio this year. Also very possibly biased toward IL. I know I'm placing a lot of last year's top 10 a bit lower, but that's how I feel it will turn out.

Thoughts?
I think Mira loma goes up beating mounds view and bothell moves down around 25th
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

Selundar wrote:Alright I think it's about time for a revive after today's tournaments.

1. Troy
2. Solon
3. Mason
4. Clements (6th if 7L)
5. Acton Boxborough
6. WWP South
7. Stevenson
8. New Trier
9. Columbia
10. Harriton
11. Mounds View
12. Boca Raton
13. Mira Loma
14. Enloe
15. Bayard Rustin
16. NCSSM
17. Ward Melville
18. TJHSST
19. Northville
20. Bothell

I just put this together so I'm still not satisfied with everything, especially 16-20. It's possible I'm overreacting to the strength of Ohio this year. Also very possibly biased toward IL. I know I'm placing a lot of last year's top 10 a bit lower, but that's how I feel it will turn out.

Thoughts?
Wisconsin's team will be higher than 20th (I think). The state was stronger than years past this year as a whole. I'd put Madison West at about 19.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
jaggie34
State: GA

Post by jaggie34 »

*I'm not going to include my own school because I don't want to have any bias but here's what I think:
1. Troy
2. Solon
3. Mason
4. Acton-Boxborough
5. Mounds View
6. WWPS
7. Seven Lakes
8. Columbia
9. Harriton
10. Mira Loma
11. New Trier
12. Ward Melville
13. Adlai E. Stevenson
14. Brookwood
15. William G. Enloe
16. TJHSST
17. Ed W. Clark
18. Bothell
19. Northville
20. Madison West

1. Troy: They're Troy, I don't think much else has to be said.
2-4. Solon, Mason, Acton-Boxborough: All top tier teams, I'm pretty confident that this will end up being the next three but there isn't much showing competition between each other besides Ohio States for Mason and Solon which made it tough to rank them.
5-8. Mounds View, WWPS, Seven Lakes, Colombia: Mounds View is always hard to rank since they go to so few invitationals, but I feel like this is about where they'll fall this year. WWPS is also tough because they usually don't stack for most of the year. Seven Lakes and Colombia both have beaten very high-level competition which is why I've placed them where they are.
9-11. Harriton, Mira Loma, New Trier: These three were probably the most difficult to place, mostly because I could see any of the three moving up into the next tier but I could also see them falling farther down. Harriton especially was difficult as history shows that they'll place top 10 but their result this year don't show a top 10 team in my opinion. The same thing goes for Mira Loma, except I think they have both a lower ceiling and a higher floor. New Trier meanwhile has done well at competitions but I placed them here purely because of the number of top tier teams this year.
12-14. Ward Melville, Adlai E. Stevenson, Brookwood: I haven't gotten a chance to compete against any of these teams but based on the invitational scores I have seen, this seems to be about right. Brookwood would jump up from 23rd last year but based on their score at states I feel comfortable with that.
15-20. William G. Enloe, TJHSST, Ed W. Clark, Bothell, Northville, Madison West: I've seen some of these teams in person and they definitely all have the potential to move up, I just placed them here partially because of uncertainty and partially because I feel that there are so many great teams this year.

What are everyone's thoughts?
Last edited by jaggie34 on May 5th, 2019, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

jaggie34 wrote:*I'm not going to include my own school because I don't want to have any bias but here's what I think:
1. Troy
2. Solon
3. Mason
4. Acton-Boxborough
5. Mounds View
6. WWPS
7. Seven Lakes
8. Colombia
9. Harriton
10. Mira Loma
11. New Trier
12. Ward Melville
13. Adlai E. Stevenson
14. Brookwood
15. William G. Enloe
16. TJHSST
17. Ed W. Clark
18. Bothell
19. Northville
20. Madison West

2-4. Solon, Mason, Acton-Boxborough: All top tier teams, I'm pretty confident that this will end up being the next three but there isn't much showing competition between each other besides Ohio States for Mason and Solon which made it tough to rank them.
5-8. Mounds View, WWPS, Seven Lakes, Colombia: Mounds View is always hard to rank since they go to so few invitationals, but I feel like this is about where they'll fall this year. WWPS is also tough because they usually don't stack for most of the year. Seven Lakes and Colombia both have beaten very high-level competition which is why I've placed them where they are.
9-11. Harriton, Mira Loma, New Trier: These three were probably the most difficult to place, mostly because I could see any of the three moving up into the next tier but I could also see them falling farther down. Harriton especially was difficult as history shows that they'll place top 10 but their result this year don't show a top 10 team in my opinion. The same thing goes for Mira Loma, except I think they have both a lower ceiling and a higher floor. New Trier meanwhile has done well at competitions but I placed them here purely because of the number of top tier teams this year.
12-14. Ward Melville, Adlai E. Stevenson, Brookwood: I haven't gotten a chance to compete against any of these teams but based on the invitational scores I have seen, this seems to be about right. Brookwood would jump up from 23rd last year but based on their score at states I feel comfortable with that.
15-20. William G. Enloe, TJHSST, Ed W. Clark, Bothell, Northville, Madison West: I've seen some of these teams in person and they definitely all have the potential to move up, I just placed them here partially because of uncertainty and partially because I feel that there are so many great teams this year.

I like the list. Finally some notice of Madison (Go Wisconsin)!!! I think MV will be in the more 8-10 range rather than 5 (We never saw their good team, but if their JV teams represent overall strength, they seem to be slightly weaker this year). I'd put Northville in about the 14-15s. Watch for Pioneer to do well to. I don't think Bothell is a top 20 team. Lastly, I'd switch WWPS and 7 Lakes, just because I think WWPS tends to run slightly less consistent (from what I've seen). Nats should be quite competitive this year.

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

jaggie34 wrote:*I'm not going to include my own school because I don't want to have any bias but here's what I think:
1. Troy
2. Solon
3. Mason
4. Acton-Boxborough
5. Mounds View
6. WWPS
7. Seven Lakes
8. Colombia
9. Harriton
10. Mira Loma
11. New Trier
12. Ward Melville
13. Adlai E. Stevenson
14. Brookwood
15. William G. Enloe
16. TJHSST
17. Ed W. Clark
18. Bothell
19. Northville
20. Madison West

You spelled Columbia wrong :P

I think Boca has the potential to place top 10 (idk though I'm not very well versed in Div C), but from what I've heard you guys have done amazing at invites so I wouldn't put you guys anywhere outside top 13.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

MadCow2357 wrote:
1. Troy
2. Solon
3. Mason
4. Acton-Boxborough
5. Mounds View
6. WWPS
7. Seven Lakes
8. Colombia
9. Harriton
10. Mira Loma
11. New Trier
12. Ward Melville
13. Adlai E. Stevenson
14. Brookwood
15. William G. Enloe
16. TJHSST
17. Ed W. Clark
18. Bothell
19. Northville
20. Madison West

You spelled Columbia wrong :P

I think Boca has the potential to place top 10 (idk though I'm not very well versed in Div C), but from what I've heard you guys have done amazing at invites so I wouldn't put you guys anywhere outside top 13.
He said he wouldn't include his own team (Boca). I do agree, however, and would probably slide Boca in at the 9.

Pettywap
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pettywap »

Didn't feel like studying for my AP:

1. Troy
2. Solon
3. Acton-Boxborough
4. Mason
5. Colombia
6. Seven Lakes
7. Mounds View
8. Harriton
9. WWPS
10. Adlai E. Stevenson
11. Mira Loma
12. New Trier
13. William G. Enloe
14. Ward Melville
15. Bayard Rustin
16. Brookwood
17. Northville
18. TJHSST
19. Ed W. Clark
20. Bothell
"Who's Fettywap?"
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

1. Troy
2. Solon
3. Mason
4. Acton-Boxborough
5. Mounds View
6. WWPS
7. Seven Lakes
8. Columbia
9. Harriton
10. Mira Loma
11. New Trier
12. Ward Melville
13. Adlai E. Stevenson
14. Brookwood
15. William G. Enloe
16. TJHSST
17. Ed W. Clark
18. Bothell
19. Northville
20. Madison West

First of all, uh hello? Rustin exists. They are absolutely going to get top 20. Even though their invitational performances weren't as good as other teams, they have certainly improved and are going to do well at nationals. At least put them around 15th. Second of all, Ward Melville is wayyyy too high. No offense, but their states score really was not impressive (at least compared to Columbia's- more on that in a second). They seemed to be a lot stronger earlier in the season, and unless they work really hard they're not going to be above 15th. I'd say 16th-18th, which is where everyone else is putting them. Third of all, Columbia is a tad too low for my taste. No one is acknowledging the fact that they got a record-breaking states score! It's impossible to get a sub-100 score in New York div C. The fact that Ward Melville got to nats with 213 just goes to show you how well Columbia did. They should be 6th or 7th. Fourth of all, yes, Seven Lakes is really good and they're going to be top 10, but they're not as strong as previous years. They did medal a lot, and they were relatively consistent, but they didn't get as many gold medals as LASA and they certainly didn't beat LASA by a large margin. I know Texas is extremely competitive but I would place Seven Lakes at 8th or 9th. Now as for the rest of my points, I'm not as experienced with div C so I don't know if I'm qualified to say any of this, but here goes.
5. Bothell is too high. Historically, they haven't been top 20 for a while, and they only beat Camas on a technicality (sort of). I personally would not put them in top 20 and I think that they're not going to match how Camas would have done.
6. I honestly think that everyone is overrating Acton-Boxborough. Yes, their performance at MIT was unexpected and shocking and really, really good, but people are tending to forget that a lot of top teams were missing (read: Solon, Mason, Troy, WWPS, etc.) Of course, AB still was very impressive, but there were other factors that allowed them to win. I'd still place them in top 10 but maybe not top 5.
7. What is Brookwood doing so high up there? States scores (especially for them and Chattahoochee) don't exactly correlate to nats placement. Even though the disparity between the two teams was a lot more than it usually is, I still think they should be relatively close together, and Brookwood should not be in top 15. I'd say maybe around 18th for them (possibly lower) with Chattahoochee at least within 4 places of them. If you want to put Brookwood at 14th you need Chattahoochee top 20.
8. I feel like I want to say something about where you put Mira Loma and Mounds View, but I really don't know enough about the teams. Mira Loma seems fair but Mounds View might be a tiny bit too high? Anyway, most of your predictions are accurate. Keep improving them, though!
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Pettywap
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pettywap »

kate! wrote:
1. Troy
2. Solon
3. Mason
4. Acton-Boxborough
5. Mounds View
6. WWPS
7. Seven Lakes
8. Columbia
9. Harriton
10. Mira Loma
11. New Trier
12. Ward Melville
13. Adlai E. Stevenson
14. Brookwood
15. William G. Enloe
16. TJHSST
17. Ed W. Clark
18. Bothell
19. Northville
20. Madison West

First of all, uh hello? Rustin exists. They are absolutely going to get top 20. Even though their invitational performances weren't as good as other teams, they have certainly improved and are going to do well at nationals. At least put them around 15th. Second of all, Ward Melville is wayyyy too high. No offense, but their states score really was not impressive (at least compared to Columbia's- more on that in a second). They seemed to be a lot stronger earlier in the season, and unless they work really hard they're not going to be above 15th. I'd say 16th-18th, which is where everyone else is putting them. Third of all, Columbia is a tad too low for my taste. No one is acknowledging the fact that they got a record-breaking states score! It's impossible to get a sub-100 score in New York div C. The fact that Ward Melville got to nats with 213 just goes to show you how well Columbia did. They should be 6th or 7th. Fourth of all, yes, Seven Lakes is really good and they're going to be top 10, but they're not as strong as previous years. They did medal a lot, and they were relatively consistent, but they didn't get as many gold medals as LASA and they certainly didn't beat LASA by a large margin. I know Texas is extremely competitive but I would place Seven Lakes at 8th or 9th. Now as for the rest of my points, I'm not as experienced with div C so I don't know if I'm qualified to say any of this, but here goes.
5. Bothell is too high. Historically, they haven't been top 20 for a while, and they only beat Camas on a technicality (sort of). I personally would not put them in top 20 and I think that they're not going to match how Camas would have done.
6. I honestly think that everyone is overrating Acton-Boxborough. Yes, their performance at MIT was unexpected and shocking and really, really good, but people are tending to forget that a lot of top teams were missing (read: Solon, Mason, Troy, WWPS, etc.) Of course, AB still was very impressive, but there were other factors that allowed them to win. I'd still place them in top 10 but maybe not top 5.
7. What is Brookwood doing so high up there? States scores (especially for them and Chattahoochee) don't exactly correlate to nats placement. Even though the disparity between the two teams was a lot more than it usually is, I still think they should be relatively close together, and Brookwood should not be in top 15. I'd say maybe around 18th for them (possibly lower) with Chattahoochee at least within 4 places of them. If you want to put Brookwood at 14th you need Chattahoochee top 20.
8. I feel like I want to say something about where you put Mira Loma and Mounds View, but I really don't know enough about the teams. Mira Loma seems fair but Mounds View might be a tiny bit too high? Anyway, most of your predictions are accurate. Keep improving them, though!
This essay was mediocre compared to your last one. Not as much effort. I expected more from you.
"Who's Fettywap?"
jaggie34
State: GA

Post by jaggie34 »

kate! wrote:
1. Troy
2. Solon
3. Mason
4. Acton-Boxborough
5. Mounds View
6. WWPS
7. Seven Lakes
8. Columbia
9. Harriton
10. Mira Loma
11. New Trier
12. Ward Melville
13. Adlai E. Stevenson
14. Brookwood
15. William G. Enloe
16. TJHSST
17. Ed W. Clark
18. Bothell
19. Northville
20. Madison West

I had Rustin right outside that top 20, I do think they'll do well but we dont know what those improvements might be so based on what I've seen that's about where they should be. I place Ward Melville at 12 due to being very competitive at cornell and then having a home state advantage which I do believe will play into the rankings slightly. Also you have to consider that the difference between 12th and 15th place at nationals last year was 19 point, so having even a slightly below or above average day can change a lot and there isnt Mich a difference between 12th and 15th-16th. Columbia definitely could get higher, but again I feel that there are many strong teams this year and I just happened to place them below the others based on what I'd seen. Seven also consistently has placed 1st at invites and also has less points then last year. Texas always has wierd raw scores because of the way they count trials and drop events, but they still had quite an improvement from last year. Bothell performed relatively well at invites (GGSO for example) and beat Camas which is why I think they'll get top 20. Acton Boxbourough was dominant throughout the year, and yes many good teams were not at MIT but they also won unstacked and completely destroyed their state competition. Brookwood might not place as high as I put them but they had a substantial drop in their score at Georgia states and will definitely move way up from last year. They also performed well at UGA eith more competition than last year. Mounds View is always really hard to predict but they placed 5th last year and it's difficult to give a reason for placing them much differently. Mira Loma meanwhile has seemingly had a down year which is why I put them where they're at.
Last edited by jaggie34 on May 5th, 2019, 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess

Return to “2019 Nationals”