Fermi Questions C

bryan,boyd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by bryan,boyd »

Hey, does anyone know what event will be replacing Fermi Questions for the upcoming 2019-20 season?
2018 Events: Fermi Questions, Game On, Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Write It Do It, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 Events: Fermi Questions, Circuit Lab, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bryan,boyd wrote:Hey, does anyone know what event will be replacing Fermi Questions for the upcoming 2019-20 season?
Hard to say with Inquiry events, the rotation doesn't often seem to be known more than a year or two in advance. I think a programming-based event is most likely, of which there are a number of options.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
FourtyOne
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by FourtyOne »

Anyone know if fermi is switching out next year cuz I'm absolute pigeon at it
will0416
Division: C
State: OH

Post by will0416 »

FourtyOne wrote:Anyone know if fermi is switching out next year cuz I'm absolute pigeon at it
FQ will not be an event next year.
Mason ‘22
2021 Nats:
Chem - 1
Code - 5
SOM - 2
Boomi - 2

2019 Nats:
Code - 4
Mission - 4

Check out will0416's Userpage
xiangyu
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

What is a good way to practice? My partner and I have been looking at practice tests from invitations and doing fermi questions that way, how do other teams that do well prepare?
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
Name
State: NY

Post by Name »

xiangyu wrote:What is a good way to practice? My partner and I have been looking at practice tests from invitations and doing fermi questions that way, how do other teams that do well prepare?
My strategy is just take more tests. Just keep taking them. Take as many as you can. That's basically it lol. I think this is the only real way to practice for Fermi, I've never found any other way to.

Note questions you didn't get full credit on in the test (or even questions you did but weren't sure on), google the formulas, facts or whatever else you need to solve the question, and figure out how to do the question correctly. Try and memorize every value you used (unless it's completely irrelevant, that's your call, but sometimes even seemingly completely irrelevant facts can show up). Writing down the facts somewhere would probably help although I usually never did that.

Don't stop taking tests. If you think you know everything, there's always more facts to memorize.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Name wrote:
xiangyu wrote:What is a good way to practice? My partner and I have been looking at practice tests from invitations and doing fermi questions that way, how do other teams that do well prepare?
My strategy is just take more tests. Just keep taking them. Take as many as you can. That's basically it lol. I think this is the only real way to practice for Fermi, I've never found any other way to.

Note questions you didn't get full credit on in the test (or even questions you did but weren't sure on), google the formulas, facts or whatever else you need to solve the question, and figure out how to do the question correctly. Try and memorize every value you used (unless it's completely irrelevant, that's your call, but sometimes even seemingly completely irrelevant facts can show up). Writing down the facts somewhere would probably help although I usually never did that.

Don't stop taking tests. If you think you know everything, there's always more facts to memorize.
This is pretty much exactly what I would recommend.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
xiangyu
State: MI

Post by xiangyu »

Sounds good, thanks, everyone.
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
Name
State: NY

Post by Name »

MoniqueCordon wrote:My reason for loving physics is different from most. Many of the people who answered here, as well as people that I talk to, say they love it because it explains so many phenomena. In college, I do basketball and read some interesting blogs about basketball. I combine study and sports, because I order my dissertation on Fermi questions here [spam link removed] not for the first time. If someone also enjoys sports in college, then write. Here is an example: So how do I get the diameter of the Earth.

1. the formula for a circle is 2 pi r, right? where r is the radius and pi is about 3
2. so 24000 mi = 2 x 3 x r = 6 x r

3. therefore 24000 mi / 6 = r = 4000 mi

4. the diameter of the earth is 2 x r = 8000 mi, where the diameter is 2 times the radius

5. 1 mi = 1.6 km so 8000 mi x 1.6 km/mi = 12800 km

(the correct answer is ~12742 km)
Did bots just get smarter?
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
jimmy-bond
State: OH

Post by jimmy-bond »

Name wrote:
MoniqueCordon wrote:My reason for loving physics is different from most. Many of the people who answered here, as well as people that I talk to, say they love it because it explains so many phenomena. In college, I do basketball and read some interesting blogs about basketball. I combine study and sports, because I order my dissertation on Fermi questions here [spam link removed] not for the first time. If someone also enjoys sports in college, then write. Here is an example: So how do I get the diameter of the Earth.

1. the formula for a circle is 2 pi r, right? where r is the radius and pi is about 3
2. so 24000 mi = 2 x 3 x r = 6 x r

3. therefore 24000 mi / 6 = r = 4000 mi

4. the diameter of the earth is 2 x r = 8000 mi, where the diameter is 2 times the radius

5. 1 mi = 1.6 km so 8000 mi x 1.6 km/mi = 12800 km

(the correct answer is ~12742 km)
Did bots just get smarter?
BRUH this bot is better at Fermi than I am.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

Return to “2019 Study Events”