Wright Stuff C

bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by bjt4888 »

K,

Thanks again. My teams and I won’t be at Nats, but good luck for your team at Cornell.

Brian
klastyioer
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

bjt4888 wrote:K,

Thanks again. My teams and I won’t be at Nats, but good luck for your team at Cornell.

Brian
thanks!
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

has anyone else had like defects in their 1lb box of 1/16 sports tan rubber? there has been like a divot like shape almost like if you were to look at the blade sharpening diagram for skates in multiple sections of my rubber. its also been having like slight pink shades to it in some areas?
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

K,

My experience with Tan SS is that there can often be imperfections like slight bulges or thin spots. From the best batch we used this year, I was seeing an imperfection like this every 5 or 10 feet. Only a couple of these imperfections caused any issue as the thick spots would not go through the rubber slitter.

We wound motors with imperfections repeatedly to very high torque without any issues though.

Brian T
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

bjt4888 wrote:K,

My experience with Tan SS is that there can often be imperfections like slight bulges or thin spots. From the best batch we used this year, I was seeing an imperfection like this every 5 or 10 feet. Only a couple of these imperfections caused any issue as the thick spots would not go through the rubber slitter.

We wound motors with imperfections repeatedly to very high torque without any issues though.

Brian T
okay cool thanks for letting me know

NorCalplaya
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by NorCalplaya »

I have a question about the half motor flights. So the mass of my half motor should be half the mass of the motor I would use at nationals and same with the length. And then you have a motor shaft that weighs the same as the rubber motor. Then how does the torque change? Would I wind to the same torque in the nationals room as I would in practice?
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Yes, you would wind the same as Nationals rubber. i.e., same torque, half the winds.

The rubber is the same "width" (actually same linear density, or cross section times density), but half the length.

Then the elevation gain should be 1/2 if the full rubber, and if launched from close to the floor, the time should be about half.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
NorCalplaya
State: CA

Post by NorCalplaya »

coachchuckaahs wrote:Yes, you would wind the same as Nationals rubber. i.e., same torque, half the winds.

The rubber is the same "width" (actually same linear density, or cross section times density), but half the length.

Then the elevation gain should be 1/2 if the full rubber, and if launched from close to the floor, the time should be about half.

Coach Chuck
Okay that makes sense, thank you!
DarthBuilder
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

Out of curiosity, how would you wind the rubber for a torque burner? Like what are the “steps” to do so?
Deleted
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

In the original Obarski torque burner, he made these bushing-type things and used thread/glue to attach them.
If you don't want to do that, I think you could also place a piece of a plastic straw or tube in every division, and have a partner hold it there while you wind. When you're done, you can put them over the wires/pins and remove the straws. I guess if the end of the pin is sharp, you might be at risk of breaking the rubber or something. Doing these types of things would take a really, really large amount of practice.
lmk if I said anything wrong.

Edit: Mr. Obarski's first name doesn't parse correctly by the BBcode lol
Last edited by CookiePie1 on May 10th, 2019, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Wright Stuff C”