Wright Stuff C

Rossyspsce

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by Rossyspsce »

CookiePie1 wrote:In the original pigeon Obarski torque burner, he made these bushing-type things and used thread/glue to attach them.
If you don't want to do that, I think you could also place a piece of a plastic straw or tube in every division, and have a partner hold it there while you wind. When you're done, you can put them over the wires/pins and remove the straws. I guess if the end of the pin is sharp, you might be at risk of breaking the rubber or something. Doing these types of things would take a really, really large amount of practice.
lmk if I said anything wrong.
Sounds about right. Sharp pins did reduce rubber usage, but I found they were more reliable to set off
izzanom
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by izzanom »

I might have missed someone saying this somewhere, but does anyone know if well be able to trim the day before? I remember we could a couple of years ago and it was super helpful.
buildergirl

Post by buildergirl »

I asked the same thing in the on the Nationals forum, and they said that there would be time to trim Saturday before the competition (time TBD).
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

The last two years they have done it on the morning of, before any competition. Unfortunately, this year ED is at 7am, so they would have ot do the test flying at 5 or 6am. Far from ideal. I would hope they would do it Friday, but some teams do not arrive until late Friday and they complained that it was unfair. Seems they could do testing Friday, then have the early morning session for teams that could not make it Friday. Oh well, go to bed early!

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

Forgive my ignorance but what makes MI flight events so good/competitive?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Rossyspsce wrote:Forgive my ignorance but what makes MI flight events so good/competitive?
Partially being a large state with strong teams, partially him.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

In addition, while I haven't been as active the past year or so due to work, I used to give 5-10 clinics a year across the state on Wright Stuff, still managed three this past season. Tried to include multiple schools at all of them. That helped build a base of experience in the coaches across the state. I hate to see the race to beat a rock to the floor, not fun for students, and not much opportunity to lear.
Plus, there are several very active Indoor free flight clubs in the state with members who donate their time.
But I have to agree, the past couple of years:
Unome wrote: him.
gets a lot of credit.
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

Jeff,

Agree that your clinics are very helpful. I share your written materials with my students (ex. Build to Weight example).

Thanks to both of you for the recognition of my teams. Of course, my coaching borrows heavily from others participating on this Forum and from the AMA and FAI class experts, including: Jeff Anderson, Bill Gowen, Brett Sanborn, Akihiro Danjo, Leo P, Calgoddard, Chris Goins, Dave Ziegler, and many others.

Over the last seven years coaching SO if seen strong WS, Heli and glider teams from a number of Michigan schools like: Northville, International Academy Central, Grand Rapids Christian, Grand Haven, Plymouth Christian and Ann Arbor Pioneer. All of these teams and their coaches are doing some great work.

Brian T
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Forgot to mention Canton, another Michigan school that’s strong in the flying events.
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Also forgot to mention Coach Chuck. Sorry Chuck, you should have been one the first I mentioned.

Coach Chuck has been a significant contributor to the forum and to the quality of Aero Event results for those teams taking advantage of his advice and data sharing.

Return to “Wright Stuff C”