mjcox2000
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by mjcox2000 »

There was a clarification posted a while ago:

THE RULES SAY THAT "ALL NOTES OF THE SCALE MUST LIE BETWEEN F2 AND F5." IS THIS INCLUSIVE OR EXCLUSIVE, I.E. WOULD HAVING F2 OR F5 AS ONE OF THE NOTES BE ALLOWED, AND IF IT IS, WOULD A SLIGHTLY SHARP F5 OR A SLIGHTLY FLAT F2 BE DISQUALIFIED?
Yes, that is inclusive of F2 and F5. Any note outside of this range is not acceptable, whether sharp or flat. If the device ends up slightly outside that range, the appropriate cents off of the target note will be recorded.

I can’t tell whether or not this answer permits a flat F2 or a sharp F5 as a scorable note. The second sentence seems to suggest it doesn’t, but the third sentence seems to suggest it does. Does anyone know whether it actually answers the question one way or the other?
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.
jonboyage
State: PA

Post by jonboyage »

mjcox2000 wrote:There was a clarification posted a while ago:

THE RULES SAY THAT "ALL NOTES OF THE SCALE MUST LIE BETWEEN F2 AND F5." IS THIS INCLUSIVE OR EXCLUSIVE, I.E. WOULD HAVING F2 OR F5 AS ONE OF THE NOTES BE ALLOWED, AND IF IT IS, WOULD A SLIGHTLY SHARP F5 OR A SLIGHTLY FLAT F2 BE DISQUALIFIED?
Yes, that is inclusive of F2 and F5. Any note outside of this range is not acceptable, whether sharp or flat. If the device ends up slightly outside that range, the appropriate cents off of the target note will be recorded.

I can’t tell whether or not this answer permits a flat F2 or a sharp F5 as a scorable note. The second sentence seems to suggest it doesn’t, but the third sentence seems to suggest it does. Does anyone know whether it actually answers the question one way or the other?
Any "note" implies a totally different note. If you're playing F5 too sharp, you are still playing F5, not F#5, unless you are over 50 cents sharp, in which case you'd get 0 points anyways.
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
mjcox2000

Post by mjcox2000 »

jonboyage wrote:
mjcox2000 wrote:There was a clarification posted a while ago:

Any "note" implies a totally different note. If you're playing F5 too sharp, you are still playing F5, not F#5, unless you are over 50 cents sharp, in which case you'd get 0 points anyways.
While I could see that argument being made, I could just as easily see someone asserting that a 698.4 Hz note is a different note from a 698.5 Hz note. I think a reasonable event supervisor would side with your view, but I think the clarification as written might give even the most by-the-book event supervisor latitude to take either side.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

mjcox2000 wrote: While I could see that argument being made, I could just as easily see someone asserting that a 698.4 Hz note is a different note from a 698.5 Hz note. I think a reasonable event supervisor would side with your view, but I think the clarification as written might give even the most by-the-book event supervisor latitude to take either side.
"If the device ends up slightly outside that range, the appropriate cents off of the target note will be recorded."

That seems pretty unambiguous to me.

You have to announce your scale and starting pitch. So you tell the ES that you're playing F major, ascending, starting on F2. If your F2 is a bit flat, you're still OK - you score for the cents that you're flat by.

You may not attempt to play a scale containing notes lower than F2 or higher than F5.
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

BigBootyBason wrote:What teams are good in sounds going to nats?
Hi
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

knightmoves wrote:
mjcox2000 wrote: While I could see that argument being made, I could just as easily see someone asserting that a 698.4 Hz note is a different note from a 698.5 Hz note. I think a reasonable event supervisor would side with your view, but I think the clarification as written might give even the most by-the-book event supervisor latitude to take either side.
"If the device ends up slightly outside that range, the appropriate cents off of the target note will be recorded."

That seems pretty unambiguous to me.

You have to announce your scale and starting pitch. So you tell the ES that you're playing F major, ascending, starting on F2. If your F2 is a bit flat, you're still OK - you score for the cents that you're flat by.

You may not attempt to play a scale containing notes lower than F2 or higher than F5.
Agreed, it seems clear to me.
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

What do people think they’ll do to change up the event for next year? My partner and I were speculating, and we thought they may change it from playing a series of pitches to playing a series of volumes at a fixed pitch.
wec01

Post by wec01 »

TheSquaad wrote:What do people think they’ll do to change up the event for next year? My partner and I were speculating, and we thought they may change it from playing a series of pitches to playing a series of volumes at a fixed pitch.
I don't think they would change it that much, but I think they will try to make it more difficult. Right now, the threshold for a perfect score is somewhat low, and I think it would be helpful if they made more room for variation in scores. For example, with the loudness score I think it might make sense to raise the max volume or perhaps do something like thermo heat scores where each performance is scored based on how it compares to the best performance at the competition.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
olivia.m19
Division: C

Post by olivia.m19 »

wec01 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:What do people think they’ll do to change up the event for next year? My partner and I were speculating, and we thought they may change it from playing a series of pitches to playing a series of volumes at a fixed pitch.
I don't think they would change it that much, but I think they will try to make it more difficult. Right now, the threshold for a perfect score is somewhat low, and I think it would be helpful if they made more room for variation in scores. For example, with the loudness score I think it might make sense to raise the max volume or perhaps do something like thermo heat scores where each performance is scored based on how it compares to the best performance at the competition.
don't know if this is official at all (so take this with a grain of salt) but i think i saw chalker say in the nationals event discussion that they're planning to make significant changes to sounds next year. hopefully they will do something along the lines of what you said

edit: just realized TheSquaad (and maybe wec01) have probably already seen this bit of info in the original thread anyways, sorry for the excess post!
2020-21 snrszn lets goooo :-P
SOLVI/CMU/UChicago/Reg
Code: yikes/-/-/- Digital Structures: -/-/-/- Machines: yikes/-/-/- Sounds: yikes/-/-/-

2019-20
CMU/Reg/SOUP/State/Nat
Boomi: 4/4/-/-/- Code: 1/1/4/?/? Sounds: 1/1/3/?/? PPP: -/-/38/?/?
wec01

Post by wec01 »

olivia.m19 wrote:
wec01 wrote:
don't know if this is official at all (so take this with a grain of salt) but i think i saw chalker say in the nationals event discussion that they're planning to make significant changes to sounds next year. hopefully they will do something along the lines of what you said

edit: just realized TheSquaad (and maybe wec01) have probably already seen this bit of info in the original thread anyways, sorry for the excess post!
Oh, actually now that I'm looking at chalker's post again, since it says people shouldn't worry about keeping devices secret, maybe there are changes that are that big. I think it would be plausible that the format of the device testing is changing altogether, like TheSquaad's speculations, but it would be hard to predict how.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

Return to “2019 Lab Events”