Nationals Event Discussion

TheSquaad
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Nationals Event Discussion

Post by TheSquaad »

So someone came into my sounds testing room with me and basically videoed/photographed (I think videoed, but not sure) my entire build run. Is this normal? I’ve never encountered something like this before. Normally I wouldn’t raise any eyebrows, except this event is coming back next year, and there are aspects of my build that I think my team would want to keep secret (I’m graduating myself).
TheCrazyChemist
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

TheSquaad wrote:So someone came into my sounds testing room with me and basically videoed/photographed (I think videoed, but not sure) my entire build run. Is this normal? I’ve never encountered something like this before. Normally I wouldn’t raise any eyebrows, except this event is coming back next year, and there are aspects of my build that I think my team would want to keep secret (I’m graduating myself).
Uhhh, I'm pretty sure this is illegal in SciOly terms. It probably falls under a violation of the honor code or something. I don't think it happens a lot for build events, but I'm pretty sure it's happened in the past at some invitationals I've been to. However, I would expect the national supervisors to stop this if it is illegal, so I'm not sure.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

TheSquaad wrote:So someone came into my sounds testing room with me and basically videoed/photographed (I think videoed, but not sure) my entire build run. Is this normal? I’ve never encountered something like this before. Normally I wouldn’t raise any eyebrows, except this event is coming back next year, and there are aspects of my build that I think my team would want to keep secret (I’m graduating myself).
Devices by a team should not be photographed by spectators who are not affiliated with the tournament or team competing without the team's permission. At nationals the photographers for the tournament wore the same red badge holders as supervisors, hosts, etc. You are always welcome to ask others not to photograph you, but I understand it may have been difficult as your were testing. As an Event Supervisor, if it is not clear whether a photographer is affiliated with the tournament or team competing, I ask to be sure.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
poonicle
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by poonicle »

WIDI (16th) - Apparently it was very similar to last years WIDI, but I did not compete in the event last year. I thought it was well-made in terms of density (there were so many things stacked on each other/the connections were pretty complex) but it was definitely simpler than the MIT test. I wish we could see the rubrics but I'd bet that the two strings were worth a lot of points; my partner was only able to put on one before he ran out of time.

Disease (12th) - I did not like this test very much. The ideal Disease Detectives test, in my opinion, would be long--long enough that there is significant time pressure--and would have several free response questions. I'd assume that that's why Disease is usually placed in Block 0 along with ExpiDes, as explanations take a long time to grade. Instead the test was short, mostly multiple choice or short answer, and not very interesting.

GeoMap (13th) - My section of the test was really nice! I liked the application while using actual maps, and the math stuff wasn't too bad overall. I didn't look over the multiple choice that much though, and I think my partner said that that section was a bit trippy. Also did I see the MIT GeoMap ES there??!? Overall, the tournament was a bit of a mixed bag. The dorms were a bit confusing (it took a very long time to find the outlets under the bed... oops). A lot of builds unexpectedly tanked, which was really disappointing, and I feel like I underperformed in WIDI & GeoMap. Nevertheless, I did have quite a bit of fun with the team, and I'm sad that this Scioly season is ending T____T
Events: WIDI, Geomap, Disease, Chem Lab
Acton-Boxborough A for Invites season
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

bernard wrote:
Devices by a team should not be photographed by spectators who are not affiliated with the tournament or team competing without the team's permission. At nationals the photographers for the tournament wore the same red badge holders as supervisors, hosts, etc. You are always welcome to ask others not to photograph you, but I understand it may have been difficult as your were testing. As an Event Supervisor, if it is not clear whether a photographer is affiliated with the tournament or team competing, I ask to be sure.

this dad came up to sciolyperson1 and i during our roller coaster run and recorded the entire thing...
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

builderguy135 wrote:
bernard wrote:

this dad came up to sciolyperson1 and i during our roller coaster run and recorded the entire thing...
Couldn't say anything either, no outside communication is allowed when competing in a build event...
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

It was likely the official SO videographer. Did he have kinda bushy white hair? And he definitely would have had a red lanyard with VIP label on it.

Note, we are making some significant tweaks to Sounds next year, so I wouldn't worry too much about keeping a particularly device design secret.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

chalker wrote:
It was likely the official SO videographer. Did he have kinda bushy white hair? And he definitely would have had a red lanyard with VIP label on it.

Note, we are making some significant tweaks to Sounds next year, so I wouldn't worry too much about keeping a particularly device design secret.
definitely wasn't. chinese dad with his young son. i honestly did glare at him in the beginning but he did record for a full minute at least.

honestly tho its not that big of a deal, roller isn't coming back soon anyways but our design is really different than i think everyone elses
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

bernard wrote:
It was an older guy with a really fancy camera (didn’t look like a parent or anything), so I assumed it was someone with the tournament. It probably was the official photographer. It still felt strange though; usually at other tournaments official photographers have only taken snapshots, and even for our mission possible device at Cornell, an ES asked permission before taking a photo.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

poonicle wrote:Also did I see the MIT GeoMap ES there??!?
hi
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2019 Nationals”