Sounds of Music C

trdd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by trdd »

wec01 wrote:
olivia.m19 wrote:
wec01 wrote: I don't think they would change it that much, but I think they will try to make it more difficult. Right now, the threshold for a perfect score is somewhat low, and I think it would be helpful if they made more room for variation in scores. For example, with the loudness score I think it might make sense to raise the max volume or perhaps do something like thermo heat scores where each performance is scored based on how it compares to the best performance at the competition.
don't know if this is official at all (so take this with a grain of salt) but i think i saw chalker say in the nationals event discussion that they're planning to make significant changes to sounds next year. hopefully they will do something along the lines of what you said

edit: just realized TheSquaad (and maybe wec01) have probably already seen this bit of info in the original thread anyways, sorry for the excess post!
Oh, actually now that I'm looking at chalker's post again, since it says people shouldn't worry about keeping devices secret, maybe there are changes that are that big. I think it would be plausible that the format of the device testing is changing altogether, like TheSquaad's speculations, but it would be hard to predict how.
Where is "chalker's post" and what are "TheSquaad's speculations?" I would love it if they change it so instruments playing by itself whether music box type or computer controlled. ...but that it is a REAL instrument to be played. That is: No speakers. Or maybe do it the other way around.... That students will construct a device that plays an instrument provided by the event supervisor with certain specs. Like building a device that plays a real piano supplied by the competition and then measure the play against an algorithm to determine if the timing and dynamics is correct.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

trdd wrote:
wec01 wrote:
olivia.m19 wrote: don't know if this is official at all (so take this with a grain of salt) but i think i saw chalker say in the nationals event discussion that they're planning to make significant changes to sounds next year. hopefully they will do something along the lines of what you said

edit: just realized TheSquaad (and maybe wec01) have probably already seen this bit of info in the original thread anyways, sorry for the excess post!
Oh, actually now that I'm looking at chalker's post again, since it says people shouldn't worry about keeping devices secret, maybe there are changes that are that big. I think it would be plausible that the format of the device testing is changing altogether, like TheSquaad's speculations, but it would be hard to predict how.
Where is "chalker's post" and what are "TheSquaad's speculations?" I would love it if they change it so instruments playing by itself whether music box type or computer controlled. ...but that it is a REAL instrument to be played. That is: No speakers. Or maybe do it the other way around.... That students will construct a device that plays an instrument provided by the event supervisor with certain specs. Like building a device that plays a real piano supplied by the competition and then measure the play against an algorithm to determine if the timing and dynamics is correct.
While an interesting idea, that's not going to happen as it's too drastic. Yes, we are making some 'significant' changes to the event. We are still working through them, but the bottom line is that I think many devices from this past season will no longer be 'optimal' and thus warrant changes for the new rules. There has been a lot of discussion amongst the state directors and rules committee about this event and I think we've generally settled on some good conceptual tweaks based upon our experiences with it this year. We are still working on translating those concepts into actual revisions to the rules.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
eagerlearner102
Division: C

Post by eagerlearner102 »

Do people get disqualified for using the same prototype if they are competing in the same event for the second year? I did well on Sounds of Music and I don't feel like changing my prototype by a lot. I will rebuild it but it will still be F major starting at F4.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0

Post by wec01 »

eagerlearner102 wrote:Do people get disqualified for using the same prototype if they are competing in the same event for the second year? I did well on Sounds of Music and I don't feel like changing my prototype by a lot. I will rebuild it but it will still be F major starting at F4.
As long as you are a primary builder you won't be penalized for using the same device. However, based on what people have been saying, the rules are likely to change and your device may not be optimal next year.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
eagerlearner102
Division: C

Post by eagerlearner102 »

Thanks for the advice!
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute