Scioly Summer Study Session 2019

foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2019

Post by foreverphysics »

SSSS is now officially open, and everything is in full swing!

The inbox is now open for submission. We look forward to seeing everyone's tests and notes!
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

foreverphysics wrote:SSSS is now officially open, and everything is in full swing!

The inbox is now open for submission. We look forward to seeing everyone's tests and notes!
i sent mine like 2 weeks ago :D lol
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

what is the turn around time on submission to addition to SSSS?

edit: also must I resubmit if I already submitted before the start date?
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

I've never written a test, but I am trying fossils for Division B. Asides from identification, do I just ask other questions related to the organisms they are identifying? I have a station of anatomy. Do I add another representative task (There's currently 11 stations)? People are identifying an average of 3-4 organisms per station.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
wec01
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by wec01 »

BennyTheJett wrote:I've never written a test, but I am trying fossils for Division B. Asides from identification, do I just ask other questions related to the organisms they are identifying? I have a station of anatomy. Do I add another representative task (There's currently 11 stations)? People are identifying an average of 3-4 organisms per station.
Yeah, typically you would add a couple questions about the organisms at each station. Some common questions are ones on geologic timeline (i.e. when did something live) and lifestyle (e.g. diet, habitat, etc.). There is also often trivia related to certain specimens (e.g. types of eyes a certain trilobite has, transitional species, etc.). You could also include questions about more general taxa like trilobites or brachiopods as a whole or questions which compare organisms in some way. Make sure to also include questions on extinctions and lagerstatten as well (there's a list of these in the rules somewhere).

Edit: actually for Div B specifically there might be less content that can be tested on, but I assume most of this is still applicable
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

wec01 wrote:
BennyTheJett wrote:I've never written a test, but I am trying fossils for Division B. Asides from identification, do I just ask other questions related to the organisms they are identifying? I have a station of anatomy. Do I add another representative task (There's currently 11 stations)? People are identifying an average of 3-4 organisms per station.
Yeah, typically you would add a couple questions about the organisms at each station. Some common questions are ones on geologic timeline (i.e. when did something live) and lifestyle (e.g. diet, habitat, etc.). There is also often trivia related to certain specimens (e.g. types of eyes a certain trilobite has, transitional species, etc.). You could also include questions about more general taxa like trilobites or brachiopods as a whole or questions which compare organisms in some way. Make sure to also include questions on extinctions and lagerstatten as well (there's a list of these in the rules somewhere).

Edit: actually for Div B specifically there might be less content that can be tested on, but I assume most of this is still applicable
I don't think fossils has div C specific content, just that div C tests are expected to be more in depth
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Rossyspsce wrote:what is the turn around time on submission to addition to SSSS?

edit: also must I resubmit if I already submitted before the start date?
I think the first one is answered in the first post, but we expect it to be about 5 - 7 days from when we first received it. For submissions that we received before the start date, the timestamp received is still our start date, but we will review those ones first. If it isn't getting done, then we can do various things (PMing, replying to the email, reminding me to bother the appropriate mod, etc).

For the other question, you don't have to resubmit.

Edit: Actually might've misread b/c "addition". If you're talking how much time it takes to finish a submission, that depends on a ton of factors...it could be anywhere from immediate acceptance to one or two rounds of review. Usually if we get to the 2nd or 3rd round of review I might push the mod to just try to accept it if major content-related issues are resolved, but many (almost all?) submissions require at least one round of edits.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Huh.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

Whoa the bots aren't even using links now :O
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
klastyioer
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

i have another question, what if my grammar is actual trash and my language isnt "formal"
i mean thats kinda how i talk always so will i like get trashed on for it?
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

Return to “SSSS & SEC”