Wright Stuff C

banilmd
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: February 11th, 2019, 10:01 am
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by banilmd » September 6th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Can someone explain to me the benefit of counter-clockwise as well as clockwise flight? Will the plane being able to fly in both directions just make trimming easier due to the weight, or will the plane actually be switching directions mid flight? Thank you all.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4269
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by Unome » September 6th, 2019, 5:36 pm

banilmd wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:11 pm
Can someone explain to me the benefit of counter-clockwise as well as clockwise flight? Will the plane being able to fly in both directions just make trimming easier due to the weight, or will the plane actually be switching directions mid flight? Thank you all.
The benefit is that you get score = sum of flight times instead of best flight time. It's a tough thing to do, since you have to make a tricky adjustment on-site.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

BigBootyBason
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 8:45 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by BigBootyBason » September 6th, 2019, 5:49 pm

this event is like actually for sweats like god bless the future of flying events. next years event is probably who can make a plastic straw fly the longest

banilmd
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: February 11th, 2019, 10:01 am
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by banilmd » September 6th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Unome wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:36 pm
banilmd wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:11 pm
Can someone explain to me the benefit of counter-clockwise as well as clockwise flight? Will the plane being able to fly in both directions just make trimming easier due to the weight, or will the plane actually be switching directions mid flight? Thank you all.
The benefit is that you get score = sum of flight times instead of best flight time. It's a tough thing to do, since you have to make a tricky adjustment on-site.
Oh, thank you for the explanation!

User avatar
MTV<=>Operator
Member
Member
Posts: 138
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Dead
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by MTV<=>Operator » September 6th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Just clarifying, to reverse the turn direction of the plane, one would have to reverse the tilt and warp of the front wing and rear stabilizer as well as change the direction of the rudder? If so, it doesn't seem like carbon fiber wings would work well for something like this.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018: Mousetrap, Hovercraft, Towers
2018-2019: Mousetrap (8th regional), Boomilever (3rd regional), Wright Stuff
2020 Events/YUSO/regional
Gravity Vehicle/9/5
Detector Building/8/7
Wright Stuff/--/10
Ping Pong Parachute/--/--

User avatar
Nano1llus10n
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: May 26th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by Nano1llus10n » September 6th, 2019, 7:59 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Just clarifying, to reverse the turn direction of the plane, one would have to reverse the tilt and warp of the front wing and rear stabilizer as well as change the direction of the rudder? If so, it doesn't seem like carbon fiber wings would work well for something like this.
Reversing the tilt and wrap of lifting surface will prove to be complicated and unnecessary within the given time span. It should be more effective if you set tilt and warp at a neutral state and only adjust the measure of the vertical stabilizer/rudder in the back. How much you adjust will be determined from experimental results.
[b]Event:[/b] MIT/R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 8/3/2/26
[b]Helicopters:[/b] 11/-/2/43
[b]Microbe Mission:[/b] 13/2/2/8
[b]Event:[/b] R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 1/2/8
[b]Designer Genes:[/b] 1/2/4
[b]Protein Modeling:[/b] 1/3/2
[b]Wright Stuff:[/b] 2/2/9


Seven Lakes High School '21

coachchuckaahs
Member
Member
Posts: 430
Joined: April 24th, 2017, 9:19 am
Division: B
State: NM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by coachchuckaahs » September 6th, 2019, 10:06 pm

BigBootyBason wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:49 pm
this event is like actually for sweats like god bless the future of flying events. next years event is probably who can make a plastic straw fly the longest
That would indeed be problematic, since plastic straws are not legal in some powerhouse SO states...

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

Bread
Member
Member
Posts: 78
Joined: September 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Location: VHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by Bread » September 7th, 2019, 11:04 am

klastyioer wrote:pigeon now i feel bad for the ppl who havent done this before
like it wont be awful for people who already did this since they have some sort of past experience w this event
but for the newbies its gonna be actual pigeon
Speaking of newbies...

Hello, I'm entirely new to the flying events this year. I was pretty enthusiastic to do this until I saw the rules for this year, but I want to try and make the best of it. The talk of difficulty makes me think I should just focus on getting a plane in the air than focusing on the directional bonus, at least for now.

I plan on buying a kit for my first plane, probably freedom flight, but if there are better suggestions I'm all ears. I think I've heard that they might be complicated, so again I'm all ears. Any suggestions, tips, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
VHS '22
2017
VU/Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:10/2/3/21
Dynamic:3/2/11/46

2018
Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:1/1/15
Thermo:1/6/29
Roller:3/10/20

2019
VU/Reg/State/Nats
Fossils <3 :1/1/1/2 :D 
Dynamic:4/1/2/26
Thermo:2/1/1/5 :D 
Roller:9/-/1/51 (tier)
Rip maybe next year

User avatar
CrayolaCrayon
Member
Member
Posts: 340
Joined: October 25th, 2017, 8:24 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: I'll have to get back to you on that one
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by CrayolaCrayon » September 7th, 2019, 11:34 am

Bread wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 11:04 am
klastyioer wrote:pigeon now i feel bad for the ppl who havent done this before
like it wont be awful for people who already did this since they have some sort of past experience w this event
but for the newbies its gonna be actual pigeon
Speaking of newbies...

Hello, I'm entirely new to the flying events this year. I was pretty enthusiastic to do this until I saw the rules for this year, but I want to try and make the best of it. The talk of difficulty makes me think I should just focus on getting a plane in the air than focusing on the directional bonus, at least for now.

I plan on buying a kit for my first plane, probably freedom flight, but if there are better suggestions I'm all ears. I think I've heard that they might be complicated, so again I'm all ears. Any suggestions, tips, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You've made a good choice. This is a very high quality event that pays off with lots of testing. Look at this link and go to the end of the thread: viewtopic.php?f=299&t=12123&start=780

That has advice from the end of last year from some of the best fliers in the country (Jander, Chuck, BJT, retired1)

Another place to look is the 2016 WS forums for advice. The knowledge fostered on here will take you very far.
Wright Stuff 2nd 2019 Nationals
USA F1D Team 2020, 2021
1391 Turns

Shr3D
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: October 28th, 2017, 4:42 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Location: USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by Shr3D » September 7th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Are there any kits out yet which conform to this years' rules? If so, would you be able to post those links?
Div. B:
2016 - ANAT*, BB
2017 - ANAT*, CB, HC*, Scrambler
2018 - HC*, T, WS*
Div. C:
2019 - BM, MP, WS*
2020 - (not final yet) ANAT, BM, CL, CM, WS

Locked

Return to “Wright Stuff C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests