Video of my daughter's last year device for Division C

trdd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Video of my daughter's last year device for Division C

Post by trdd »

Here is a link to a video for the device that my daughter made for this event. It has 11 tasks including the coin flip which was the most difficult. Her team is not going to Nationals and this was her last Mission Possible competition as this year is going to Division B

They did 11 of the 12 tasks. They decided to not the the balloon task because of the complexity and the packaging. This device has a size score of 87 out of the 90 max.

This year on Division B there are two tasks that are very, very similar to last year's device and two tasks that are a slight variation of last year.

The tasks that are very similar are:
The push or pull and object up a ramp of IMA>=2 which on division B the only variation is that instead of a 500g weight, it is a golf ball.
The other task is to pour water into a container to raise a golf ball at least 5cm. That one is almost identical.
The similar tasks are the pulley system. Last year it was an IMA>=3 and this year is an IMA>=2. Also the 500g object is replaced with a golf ball.
The other similar task is the screw. This year they put more details on the screw which has to be a wingnut.

In my daughter's device the pulley system triggers the ramp, which triggers the water into container which triggers the screw. Feel free to get ideas from this video to adapt them to this year's rules.

Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/c7zmzxid9SQ
AngelMB
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Video of my daughter's last year device for Division C

Post by AngelMB »

Really cool build! Will definitely miss Mission in Div C, but can't wait to see what unique ideas Div B competitors have in store! If anyone wants to see my mission from last year, pictures of it can be found here. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about how it operated!
Boca High '20

2020 Events
Boomi, Circuits, Detector, Gravity

Nats Placements 2019
Mission - 1st
Circuits - 7th
Mousetrap - 23rd
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

A link for some of my pics of my mission possible device can be seen here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/W9AVW59WcFfLELoq6 .
It placed 3rd at nats in '17 (Div B), and obtained a score of 1661. The task was 18 simple machines, 3 of each type, and incorporated a sand timer.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
trdd

Post by trdd »

AngelMB wrote: September 10th, 2019, 6:30 pm Really cool build! Will definitely miss Mission in Div C, but can't wait to see what unique ideas Div B competitors have in store! If anyone wants to see my mission from last year, pictures of it can be found here. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about how it operated!
WOW!!! All 12 tasks and a very nice packaging!!! Very well deserved 1st place at Nationals!! THANKS FOR SHARING THIS. Do you have a video?

I like your balloon! Did you make your balloon? Or did you buy one of those HappyNewYear or birthday toy that you blow? The rules and FAQ stated that it must be a balloon that you can buy commercially for the purpose of a balloon. That's why this year my daughter had to move away from using a condom as a balloon because even thought he condom was a perfect balloon, it's intended commercial use was not that of a balloon. So if you bought that toy thing, how did you get away with it not being intended for a balloon as a commercial purpose. I loved the idea, by the way!!! I just don't know if that would have passed by the judges in my state who tent to be more anal abut the rules and will disqualify just about anything. The previous year they allowed the condom to be used as a balloon but this year they didn't because a condom is not marketed as a balloon. That's why I'm asking.
Last edited by trdd on September 11th, 2019, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
trdd

Post by trdd »

AngelMB wrote: September 10th, 2019, 6:30 pm Really cool build! Will definitely miss Mission in Div C, but can't wait to see what unique ideas Div B competitors have in store! If anyone wants to see my mission from last year, pictures of it can be found here. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about how it operated!
Also, I noticed the manual valve you are using to pour the water into the golf ball container. I guess that you are using this action as your timer and for the timer bonus. Thus, in your 30 minute prep time you adjust the angle on the manual valve to change the flow rate to increase or decrease the time. To activate this task, you just open the grips on the hose. Is that correct? VERY CLEVER!!!!
AngelMB
State: FL

Post by AngelMB »

trdd wrote: September 11th, 2019, 6:08 am
WOW!!! All 12 tasks and a very nice packaging!!! Very well deserved 1st place at Nationals!! THANKS FOR SHARING THIS. Do you have a video?

I like your balloon! Did you make your balloon? Or did you buy one of those HappyNewYear or birthday toy that you blow? The rules and FAQ stated that it must be a balloon that you can buy commercially for the purpose of a balloon. That's why this year my daughter had to move away from using a condom as a balloon because even thought he condom was a perfect balloon, it's intended commercial use was not that of a balloon. So if you bought that toy thing, how did you get away with it not being intended for a balloon as a commercial purpose. I loved the idea, by the way!!! I just don't know if that would have passed by the judges in my state who tent to be more anal abut the rules and will disqualify just about anything. The previous year they allowed the condom to be used as a balloon but this year they didn't because a condom is not marketed as a balloon. That's why I'm asking.
Thank you! Unfortunately, we never made a full video. Yes, my partner made the balloon. The balloon was made from a commercially marketed foil balloon by cutting strips of the commercial balloon and ironing the foil together for the right length we needed. We didn't incorporate it into our device until after states and my partner got the idea from talking with Scott Maurer from Solon high school. We originially were going to try to use one of those party toys, but the foil worked much better.
trdd wrote: September 11th, 2019, 6:14 am
Also, I noticed the manual valve you are using to pour the water into the golf ball container. I guess that you are using this action as your timer and for the timer bonus. Thus, in your 30 minute prep time you adjust the angle on the manual valve to change the flow rate to increase or decrease the time. To activate this task, you just open the grips on the hose. Is that correct? VERY CLEVER!!!!
Yup, that's pretty much how it worked.
Boca High '20

2020 Events
Boomi, Circuits, Detector, Gravity

Nats Placements 2019
Mission - 1st
Circuits - 7th
Mousetrap - 23rd

Return to “Mission Possible B”