Rule 5c

knightmoves

Rule 5c

Post by knightmoves »

Can one of you old Wright Stuff hands explain the rationale for the 10% bonus for black marker on a wing segment rule? Is it brown M&Ms, or is there something else in it?

(For clarity, this isn't any kind of a complaint - I'm just curious.)

(Presumably "the wing" means one of the wings in a biplane.)
CrayolaCrayon
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Rule 5c

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

It's essentially just a bonus so your plane is easier to see. If it wasn't a bonus, it'd be a construction violation, so it's just a little bonus for taking a minute to blacken one panel of your wing.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
DatSciolyBoi
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by DatSciolyBoi »

I just used a sharpie, it takes only a few minutes, and that 10% bonus is hella helpful.
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets
klastyioer
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

it also like doesnt add any weight, if it does its very very little so just take the minute out your life to color it in
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Post by jander14indoor »

Yep, purely to help with visibility. At really tall sites these things can be hard to track for older eyes.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

Oh yeah, since you guys are talking about this, I might as well ask: How do y'all color your panels? For some reason, it's pretty easy for me to tear the mylar a little as I'm coloring, should I just go slower? Do y'all put something behind the wing as a hard surface as you color?

Xiangyu
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

xiangyu wrote: September 19th, 2019, 9:23 am Oh yeah, since you guys are talking about this, I might as well ask: How do y'all color your panels? For some reason, it's pretty easy for me to tear the mylar a little as I'm coloring, should I just go slower? Do y'all put something behind the wing as a hard surface as you color?

Xiangyu
I do it with a sharpie. Do NOT press too hard. It'll take a while to do it correctly but do it slowly. I used to do it with spraypaint, with sectioning off the rib bay and spraying from 2 or 3 feet, but that, unfortunately, doesn't seem to work anymore with the rules. Light pressure, go slow.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
Dreamz
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dreamz »

CrayolaCrayon wrote: September 19th, 2019, 9:32 am I do it with a sharpie. Do NOT press too hard. It'll take a while to do it correctly but do it slowly. I used to do it with spraypaint, with sectioning off the rib bay and spraying from 2 or 3 feet, but that, unfortunately, doesn't seem to work anymore with the rules. Light pressure, go slow.
I dare you to try this with OS film :D
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Dreamz wrote: September 19th, 2019, 9:46 am
CrayolaCrayon wrote: September 19th, 2019, 9:32 am I do it with a sharpie. Do NOT press too hard. It'll take a while to do it correctly but do it slowly. I used to do it with spraypaint, with sectioning off the rib bay and spraying from 2 or 3 feet, but that, unfortunately, doesn't seem to work anymore with the rules. Light pressure, go slow.
Puts finger on microfilm
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
klastyioer
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

CrayolaCrayon wrote: September 19th, 2019, 10:36 am
Dreamz wrote: September 19th, 2019, 9:46 am
Puts finger on microfilm
planes-> X(
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

Return to “Wright Stuff C”