Final Action: Putting the initial dropped ball to the tee

knightmoves

Re: Final Action: Putting the initial dropped ball to the tee

Post by knightmoves »

builder83 wrote: September 27th, 2019, 7:14 am Basically I plan on putting my tee in the bottom corner of the device attached to the base with no wall or anything within 10 cm.
I think this is the only realistic way to meet the rules as written - the tee is in the "open" corner of the device.

One suggestion, though - perhaps a small lip around the base (but still 2.5cm below the tee) to contain the golf ball in case it rolls off the tee and avoid an object-exiting-device penalty?
kinghong1970
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kinghong1970 »

knightmoves wrote: September 27th, 2019, 8:41 am
builder83 wrote: September 27th, 2019, 7:14 am Basically I plan on putting my tee in the bottom corner of the device attached to the base with no wall or anything within 10 cm.
I think this is the only realistic way to meet the rules as written - the tee is in the "open" corner of the device.

One suggestion, though - perhaps a small lip around the base (but still 2.5cm below the tee) to contain the golf ball in case it rolls off the tee and avoid an object-exiting-device penalty?
great advice on containing the ball in case it rolls off.

but base of the device is still the device and if you have a wood block of 3/4 MDF made to hold the tee in position and still clear the 2.5cm of the tee, the wood block is considered Tee Base, so it's safe, but the bottom panel, in middle of the device is still within the 10cm of the golf ball... again, put it on a post?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

kinghong1970 wrote: September 27th, 2019, 9:28 am
but base of the device is still the device and if you have a wood block of 3/4 MDF made to hold the tee in position and still clear the 2.5cm of the tee, the wood block is considered Tee Base, so it's safe, but the bottom panel, in middle of the device is still within the 10cm of the golf ball... again, put it on a post?
Well, as "tee holder" isn't defined, then your entire device base can be a "tee holder" as long as it is more than 2.5cm below the top of the golf tee.
kinghong1970
State: NJ

Post by kinghong1970 »

knightmoves wrote: September 27th, 2019, 9:57 am
Well, as "tee holder" isn't defined, then your entire device base can be a "tee holder" as long as it is more than 2.5cm below the top of the golf tee.
true that in case of ES interpretation conflict, there is that to rely upon... but wonder if we can mount other action parts on the base and still have base to be considered the Tee Holder...

thanks anyways, i guess we have to see if they clarify this one.
AwersomeUser

Post by AwersomeUser »

knightmoves wrote: September 24th, 2019, 2:09 pm
kinghong1970 wrote: September 24th, 2019, 1:34 pm so rule regarding Final Action states:

d.i. After all other planned scorable actions have been attempted, the golf ball from Start Action in 3.b. must be moved at least 20 horizontal cm from it's original resting position and placed on the golf tee...

am i correct in interpreting this rule such that the final action will make the ball move 20cm horizontally but not before the final action is triggered?
Yes. You don't have a time machine, so the final action certainly can't make anything happen before the final action is triggered.

Putting the rules together, you drop a golf ball into your device, which initiates your next action. The golf ball then stops moving. When all your actions are complete, the final action is to move that golf ball at least 20cm horizontally from wherever it was stopped (and any distance you like vertically) to place it on the golf tee. So you can't, for example, count this 20cm motion as the roll from 3c(ix) or 3c(xi).
Does original position means the start position of the whole thing or the position from where the action started?
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

AwersomeUser wrote: September 27th, 2019, 1:33 pm
Does original position means the start position of the whole thing or the position from where the action started?
"Original resting position" = the place where it comes to rest after its use in the start task.

So you drop the ball into your device, it triggers the next action and comes to a rest. You may not move it until the final action (rule 3a(iv)). During the final action, you must transport the ball at least 20 horizontal cm from wherever it was at rest at the end of the start task.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Would a step down tee (shaped like an hourglass) instead of a skinny stick be considered a standard golf tee? It is plastic and the top is less less than 1/2 inch. Its just a bit wider than most tees (3/8 inch) and something I have. You can buy them at walmart.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

kinghong1970 wrote: September 27th, 2019, 10:47 am
knightmoves wrote: September 27th, 2019, 9:57 am
true that in case of ES interpretation conflict, there is that to rely upon... but wonder if we can mount other action parts on the base and still have base to be considered the Tee Holder...

thanks anyways, i guess we have to see if they clarify this one.

IF THE TEE HOLDER IS MOUNTED ONTO THE WALL OR BASE OF THE DEVICE, DOES THE WALL AND BASE COUNT AS PART OF THE DEVICE AND SUBJECT TO THE 10CM CLEARANCE REQUIREMENT OF THE RULE?
The wall or base may be considered as part of the "tee holder" and would not be subject to the 10cm clearance requirement. However, the top of the tee must still be at least 2.5 cm above any part of the "tee holder".
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
stringman
State: MD

Post by stringman »

Based on the answer of the FAQ on this at https://www.soinc.org/mission-possible, I would say that if your tee is affixed to both the wall and the base then the wall and the base count as the tee holder and are not subject 10 cm clearance requirement.
Havocgamer49
Division: C
State: NC
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Havocgamer49 »

Hi all,

I had a question about the rules, the part where it says in dii. "no part of the device can be within 10 cm of the ball in any direction." Is this restriction only IF you want the extra 150 points, or is this overall mandatory for the 250 points one gets from the final action

Thanks in advance,

-Your Fellow Science Olympian
Havocgamer49's Userpage
Jay M Robinson Varsity Team 2017-2020
2017-2018 Events: Disease Detectives, Rocks and Minerals
2018-2019 Events: Disease Detectives, Duct Tape Challenge, Fossils
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars

Return to “Mission Possible B”