Food Science B

Frost0125
Division: C
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by Frost0125 »

Does anyone have tips on building salinometers?
2020/2021 Events: Chem Lab, Codebusters, Experimental Design, Fast Facts
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by pikachu4919 »

Frost0125 wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 11:42 am Does anyone have tips on building salinometers?

You could consult Water Quality teammates and resources for that since building a salinometer has been a part of that event throughout all of its existence. Most of the ones I've seen use a straw with clay on one end and are calibrated empirically. There's always the last case option of tasting the water, but the supervisor might kick you out of the event for that :P
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
srmfian
State: GA
Has thanked: 0

Post by srmfian »

From our couch that she said Food Science has few new topics this year....Is that true?
Frost0125
State: NC

Post by Frost0125 »

My partner and I are in the process of building a salinometer. We are having a problem right now where our salinometer floats at the same line for multiple salt percentages. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
2020/2021 Events: Chem Lab, Codebusters, Experimental Design, Fast Facts
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

Frost0125 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 1:07 pm My partner and I are in the process of building a salinometer. We are having a problem right now where our salinometer floats at the same line for multiple salt percentages. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
See if getting a new thinner straw will help.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
Miceinthestreet

Post by Miceinthestreet »

For the moisture content of a pickle, I think you use the salinometer/hydrometer to determine the amount of water in a part of the pickle.
srmfian
State: GA

Post by srmfian »

Can we use a multimeter to be an alternate for salinometer?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

srmfian wrote: October 7th, 2019, 8:00 am Can we use a multimeter to be an alternate for salinometer?
Only if you built the multimeter.

"a participant-made salinometer/hydrometer"
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

srmfian wrote: October 7th, 2019, 8:00 am Can we use a multimeter to be an alternate for salinometer?
No, unless you built it yourself (assuming the nationals committee releases the same clarification as water quality). Even if you were allowed to use a multimeter, I would seriously dissuade it, because I don't know how thick the leads are, and they may corrode with usage and contaminate the solution.

You could build your own multimeter, but many aspects of electrical salinometers are difficult to work with, and potentially even dangerous. To start, you might consider measuring voltage across two jumper wires. But jumper wires are usually copper, and then you have to deal with your wires corroding. Okay, so you might choose a low-corrosion material like stainless steel. But stainless steel releases chromium when it corrodes, which is dangerous to your health. Okay, so you might choose a low-corrosion material without chromium, like gold. But gold is expensive, and it may not even work (but pretty much nobody on the forums actually knows because we've never tried).

As you can see, bringing your own multimeter for salinity testing can ensnare you with more troubles than anticipated. If your team has people good with chemistry, you could consider making one, but make sure to build one at the same time as you build a straw one, because an electrical one will fail unexpectedly before competition, or the calibration will suddenly go awry, or it won't be done as fast as you think. It'll take a strong mind to not give up, but if your team is dedicated, I hope you succeed!
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
YanaB

Post by YanaB »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would like to trade for Food Science? I am currently working on a test and have some notes. Also, I was wondering how do people get all of those google drives filled with tests through trading?

Return to “2020 Lab Events”