Politics

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Blank25
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Politics

Post by Blank25 »

ItsTreasonThen wrote: October 9th, 2019, 11:25 am I feel like the main issue here is that people are over exaggerating it. You have people acting like that it's suddenly the end of the world. It's horrible that it's burning, but keep in mind that it's been like this for a while. It just started to get attention recently.
I agree, it's not the end of the world, it's been going on for a long time. It's just one of the first time that there has been major media coverage on the burning for a while.
2020 Events: Astronomy, Ornithology, Water Quality, Protein Modeling
2019 Events: Fermi, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible
2018 Events: Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Towers, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Parasitology
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Hovercraft, Towers, Astronomy
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Blank25 wrote: October 9th, 2019, 2:59 pm
ItsTreasonThen wrote: October 9th, 2019, 11:25 am I feel like the main issue here is that people are over exaggerating it. You have people acting like that it's suddenly the end of the world. It's horrible that it's burning, but keep in mind that it's been like this for a while. It just started to get attention recently.
I agree, it's not the end of the world, it's been going on for a long time. It's just one of the first time that there has been major media coverage on the burning for a while.
I can agree that the burning of the rainforest has been overexaggerated, but that DOES NOT mean climate change is not an urgent and important issue.

By the way, to whoever is reading this, chances are that you like steak. I LIKE STEAK, TOO. But if we can ALL cut down on our steak consumption, then the industry will produce less (with less demand from us consumers). PLEASE help us protect the environment by eating less beef. I'm not saying don't eat meat though - consider eating chicken more often. Chickens use only about 20% of the resources and land cows consume. Eating less beef and more chicken is cheaper for your family, and it means less methane (a potent GHG) being released into the atmosphere. Let's save this earth with one less steak at a time ;)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

This. So much this.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

MadCow2357 wrote: October 9th, 2019, 7:07 pm
I can agree that the burning of the rainforest has been overexaggerated, but that DOES NOT mean climate change is not an urgent and important issue.

By the way, to whoever is reading this, chances are that you like steak. I LIKE STEAK, TOO. But if we can ALL cut down on our steak consumption, then the industry will produce less (with less demand from us consumers). PLEASE help us protect the environment by eating less beef. I'm not saying don't eat meat though - consider eating chicken more often. Chickens use only about 20% of the resources and land cows consume. Eating less beef and more chicken is cheaper for your family, and it means less methane (a potent GHG) being released into the atmosphere. Let's save this earth with one less steak at a time ;)
Ironic. He used the cow to destroy the cow. :lol:
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
TheChiScientist
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

Thought about putting this in the video game thread but I guess this is more political...
Blizzard vs Hong Kong
What is your thought on the issue of an American based company reflecting authoritarian values?
Right now both Twitter and Reddit are up in arms over this and the gaming community at large is not very pleased...
Oh, and Mei is now a symbol for the Hong Kong revolution...
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

TheChiScientist wrote: October 10th, 2019, 6:40 am

Funny...
but what if this is a plan for people to stop eating my kind
:)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

TheChiScientist wrote: October 10th, 2019, 7:16 am Thought about putting this in the video game thread but I guess this is more political...
Blizzard vs Hong Kong
What is your thought on the issue of an American based company reflecting authoritarian values?
Right now both Twitter and Reddit are up in arms over this and the gaming community at large is not very pleased...
I'm not as much of a gamer as I'd perhaps like to be, but I really dislike video games (and really anything that doesn't have to do with politics) becoming politicized.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
DatSciolyBoi

Post by DatSciolyBoi »

TheChiScientist wrote: October 10th, 2019, 7:16 am Thought about putting this in the video game thread but I guess this is more political...
Blizzard vs Hong Kong
The guy who got banned was merely expressing his innate belief. It's his opinion, and they have no right to ban him for speaking what's on his mind. We do have the 1st amendment don't we?
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

Technically, he's a disease...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

Things2do wrote: October 10th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Technically, he's a disease...
No. The disease and I have no connection or correlation whatsoever.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “General Chat”