The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Devinszhang
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: October 25th, 2019, 8:51 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by Devinszhang » October 25th, 2019, 9:00 am

Can timer runs while the scoreable action list is running? And finally trigger an action along with the last action on ASLs to take the delivery part away to get 150 bonus points and the additional points for timer?

torqueburner
Member
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: January 8th, 2010, 11:41 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by torqueburner » October 26th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Devinszhang wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 9:00 am
Can timer runs while the scoreable action list is running? And finally trigger an action along with the last action on ASLs to take the delivery part away to get 150 bonus points and the additional points for timer?
If I understand what you are asking, I would say no. Rule 4c describes the timer as ". . . an action taking over 10 seconds. . ." Since all actions must be sequential (Rule 3.a.ii prohibits parallel actions), it would not be permitted if the timer runs while other actions are taking place.

Devinszhang
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: October 25th, 2019, 8:51 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by Devinszhang » October 26th, 2019, 2:10 pm

If this is the case, really timer is just the 13th scoreable points? But the pendulum clock will act like this timer. How this timer is different from the pendulum clock?

Devinszhang
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: October 25th, 2019, 8:51 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by Devinszhang » October 26th, 2019, 2:25 pm

And can we use 3.c.iv for this timer. We can control the water flow to act like the timer mentioned here.

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by builder83 » October 26th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Devinszhang wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 2:10 pm
If this is the case, really timer is just the 13th scoreable points? But the pendulum clock will act like this timer. How this timer is different from the pendulum clock?
You could probably use your clock as a timer then right?

Devinszhang
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: October 25th, 2019, 8:51 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by Devinszhang » October 26th, 2019, 8:32 pm

I am confused. I do not think we can use actual clock as timer. Would you please clarify a little more?

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by builder83 » October 26th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Devinszhang wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 8:32 pm
I am confused. I do not think we can use actual clock as timer. Would you please clarify a little more?
Can't any action be used as a timer? The pendulum clock (not an actual clock) would be one option. Somebody suggested slowly releasing water to raise the golfball.

It doesn't say anywhere the timer has to be a different 'action' than the scoreable action does it? Just not use a spring timer.

Devinszhang
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: October 25th, 2019, 8:51 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by Devinszhang » October 27th, 2019, 6:34 am

I see. Thanks so much!

User avatar
Krish2007
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: September 21st, 2019, 3:05 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Location: trying to find a mallard
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by Krish2007 » October 28th, 2019, 4:42 pm

If this is the case, really timer is just the 13th scoreable points? But the pendulum clock will act like this timer. How this timer is different from the pendulum clock?
I just went to my first tournament of the year at UT Austin viewtopic.php?f=294&t=14500 and while there I saw Jeffrey Trail Middle School do their mission. They got all 12 actions and they used the pendulum clock as a timer. You can not use a scorable action as a timer and get credit for both. Try to use a timer that is a non-scorable action.
Can't any action be used as a timer? The pendulum clock (not an actual clock) would be one option. Somebody suggested slowly releasing water to raise the golfball.

It doesn't say anywhere the timer has to be a different 'action' than the scoreable action does it? Just not use a spring timer.
In the rules, it never says that, but the proctors at UT Austin said you can't get credit for both the timer and the action you're using as a timer. So you won't get credit for the water task if you count it as a timer. I really hope this answers your questions and this is a topic I'm also very uncertain on. So really if what the UT proctors said are true then make something like a sand timer for your timer (I'm currently experimenting with it) instead of trying to use a scorable action. Another timer example that I actually used at UT was rolling a marble down a series of metal tracks (scroll down to roller coaster here-->https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/The_Best_of_2019). It's not a great method and very hard to optimize, but it's a good start.
Beckendorff Junior High '21
2019-2020 events: Ornithology, Game On, Mission Possible, Circuit Lab
i like birds <3

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The competition: participant may designate a Timer

Post by builder83 » October 28th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Krish2007 wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 4:42 pm
If this is the case, really timer is just the 13th scoreable points? But the pendulum clock will act like this timer. How this timer is different from the pendulum clock?
I just went to my first tournament of the year at UT Austin viewtopic.php?f=294&t=14500 and while there I saw Jeffrey Trail Middle School do their mission. They got all 12 actions and they used the pendulum clock as a timer. You can not use a scorable action as a timer and get credit for both. Try to use a timer that is a non-scorable action.
Can't any action be used as a timer? The pendulum clock (not an actual clock) would be one option. Somebody suggested slowly releasing water to raise the golfball.

It doesn't say anywhere the timer has to be a different 'action' than the scoreable action does it? Just not use a spring timer.
In the rules, it never says that, but the proctors at UT Austin said you can't get credit for both the timer and the action you're using as a timer. So you won't get credit for the water task if you count it as a timer. I really hope this answers your questions and this is a topic I'm also very uncertain on. So really if what the UT proctors said are true then make something like a sand timer for your timer (I'm currently experimenting with it) instead of trying to use a scorable action. Another timer example that I actually used at UT was rolling a marble down a series of metal tracks (scroll down to roller coaster here-->https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/The_Best_of_2019). It's not a great method and very hard to optimize, but it's a good start.
Thanks for the insight. Its not in the rules so surprised they did that. I'll submit a FAQ and hope it gets answered!

Post Reply

Return to “Mission Possible B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests